PDA

View Full Version : Read vs. Unread

Roriondesexiest
03-02-2007, 03:00 PM
<p>Sometimes I seem to have to login over again to see if forums have unread items in them.   I am using the folder color to determine if there are new items.</p><p> And just now 1/2 the items in my server forum now show up as unread and I am the last poster in quite a few of them (yeah boring day so what)</p><p> What's going on with the read/unread marks?</p>

Snowdonia
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I like when I leave the boards for a few after having "read" the forums I'm interested in (see clicked the link to mark the forum read) only to come back and it's like I never clicked it. Or like, when for some reason, I'll be in one forum, I go back to the main forum list, and everything has been marked read and I hadn't touched it! I'm also not liking the fact I don't have the option to mark the ENTIRE board as read.

Seagoat
03-02-2007, 04:34 PM
<p>It seems like the current read/unread markers are based on browser session and/or a time limit.</p><p>I really liked the old forums better in that regard; if you actually read a thread, it was marked as read until there were new posts.  If there were any unread posts in any forum from any date, they were "unread" forever, until you manually marked them as read.  There was no beating around the bush and no dodgy session / time delineations.</p><p>It was a much more consistent way to determine which threads/forums had recent activity and which ones didn't.  As it stands now, I can't rely on the read/unread markers; I have to try to remember who posted in a given thread most recently, and keep an eye out for when that name changes.  :-/</p>