PDA

View Full Version : Give alts access to higher level channels


kowalski
02-26-2007, 01:13 AM
It would be useful to offer alts access to higher level channels, if there are alts of that level under the same account. e.g. When there is not much activity in 60-69/70, I can play my lower level alts while still checking for activity in those higher level channels. Even read-only access to those channels would be better than nothing.

Agnar D'Shar
02-26-2007, 06:52 AM
/agree ; /could_not_agree_more Especially (in my experience) with the servers being so quiet these days, being able to play some of my young characters whilst watching the higher chat channels for opportunities to group my other toons... priceless.

Wilko1981
02-26-2007, 07:27 AM
<span style="font-family: trebuchet ms,geneva">/agree </span><img src="/smilies/8f7fb9dd46fb8ef86f81154a4feaada9.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />

Sebastien
02-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Good point actually.

azekah
02-26-2007, 11:17 AM
ya, with 10 characters, I often just log on my main, who has access to all the channels and wait till I find a group that sounds interesting for one of them. but, would be nice if I could do that on any of them... :/

UlteriorModem
02-26-2007, 12:19 PM
<p>Well I can see the good and the bad of this.</p><p>The good is exactly as you stated. Ive often desired this "feature" myself.</p><p>The bad is noobs, spammers, etc. could (and very likely would) clutter the higher channels with "Dis game is da suxxors" and "Happy fun feel good plat now".</p><p>Not that you dont already get that but it might make the situation worse.</p><p>Maybe after you reach 20 or 20 have access to higher levels wold be nice.</p>

Selantyr
02-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I agree, I've often wished for this feature.  I don't think there'd be that much of a problem with "noobs" because access to higher level channels would only be granted if there was a character on that account of the appropriate level.  I would not advocate access to a higher level channel if there weren't any characters on the account of that level.

bensilvi
02-26-2007, 12:31 PM
<cite>UlteriorModem wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Well I can see the good and the bad of this.</p><p>The good is exactly as you stated. Ive often desired this "feature" myself.</p><p>The bad is noobs, spammers, etc. could (and very likely would) clutter the higher channels with "Dis game is da suxxors" and "Happy fun feel good plat now".</p><p>Not that you dont already get that but it might make the situation worse.</p><p>Maybe after you reach 20 or 20 have access to higher levels wold be nice.</p></blockquote> There are plenty of idiots and nonsense on the higher level chats especially 60. To say cause you are a new player you will be a pain on chat is really rude.

Magpie1
02-26-2007, 12:37 PM
/agree with op

UlteriorModem
02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
<cite>bensilvi wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>UlteriorModem wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Well I can see the good and the bad of this.</p><p>The good is exactly as you stated. Ive often desired this "feature" myself.</p><p>The bad is noobs, spammers, etc. could (and very likely would) clutter the higher channels with "Dis game is da suxxors" and "Happy fun feel good plat now".</p><p>Not that you dont already get that but it might make the situation worse.</p><p>Maybe after you reach 20 or 20 have access to higher levels wold be nice.</p></blockquote> There are plenty of idiots and nonsense on the higher level chats especially 60. To say cause you are a new player you will be a pain on chat is really rude.</blockquote><p>You mistook the "tone" of my post so Ill spell it out to you.</p><p>It could lead to kiddies who get the free trial get to level three, dont understand or like the game, and take out their "frustrations" by telling everyone how much it blows.</p><p>To put it in a nutshell it could increase the volume of the "noise". </p>

steelbadger
02-26-2007, 12:44 PM
The OP suggested alts of high levels, so someone who gets to level three wont have a high level alt and thus wont have access to the high level channels <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />

Rattfa
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
<cite>UlteriorModem wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>bensilvi wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>UlteriorModem wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Well I can see the good and the bad of this.</p><p>The good is exactly as you stated. Ive often desired this "feature" myself.</p><p>The bad is noobs, spammers, etc. could (and very likely would) clutter the higher channels with "Dis game is da suxxors" and "Happy fun feel good plat now".</p><p>Not that you dont already get that but it might make the situation worse.</p><p>Maybe after you reach 20 or 20 have access to higher levels wold be nice.</p></blockquote> There are plenty of idiots and nonsense on the higher level chats especially 60. To say cause you are a new player you will be a pain on chat is really rude.</blockquote><p>You mistook the "tone" of my post so Ill spell it out to you.</p><p>It could lead to kiddies who get the free trial get to level three, dont understand or like the game, and take out their "frustrations" by telling everyone how much it blows.</p><p>To put it in a nutshell it could increase the volume of the "noise". </p></blockquote> So how would the lvl3 on a free trial be able to spam the T7 channel without a lvl 70 toon, as the OP suggested?

DragonMaster2385
02-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I submitted a /feedback with this request several months ago.  As long as one character in the account is between 60 and 69, the alts should have access to that channel as well.  Maybe it will be done in the future.

Guy De Alsace
02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
<p>You can do that anyway - right now. All you need to do is get your alt to level 70 <b>tradeskilling</b>. <img src="/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p>

Slapfish
02-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I like this idea too. It would also be nice because at the upper end of your level range you could access the channel just above yours to see if there are any groups in that ranges lower levels you could group with. You know, at level 48 you would be just fine in a low 50's group. It's just that the way it is now, you can't find them until you hit 50 so you might end up in a low 40's group doing a lot of green/gray content.

Eriol
02-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I would support this if it wasn't for the spamming problems.  I'm sure we'd see more of it.

kowalski
02-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all your responses all <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> To summarise: * Offer access up to the highest level channel(s) of any alt(s) under the same account * Offer read-only access to the higher channels I hate to rush to level my alts, I prefer to enjoy the content <img src="/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> and don't feel like i'm missing out on any opportunities on my mains.

Laiina
02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
<cite>UlteriorModem wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>Well I can see the good and the bad of this.</p><p>The bad is noobs, spammers, etc. could (and very likely would) clutter the higher channels with "Dis game is da suxxors" and "Happy fun feel good plat now".</p></blockquote><p>That makes no sense.</p><p>The OP said ALTS - which to means that the highest level character on that account would set the highest level that any of the alts can be in.</p><p> And I agree with the OP, crafting on my level 30 trades it would sure be handy to monitor the level 70 channel in case something comes up for my Conjuror. </p>

Laiina
02-26-2007, 10:08 PM
<cite>Eriol wrote:</cite><blockquote>I would support this if it wasn't for the spamming problems.  I'm sure we'd see more of it. </blockquote><p> How would there be any more spamming?</p><p> Please explain.</p>

Snowdonia
02-26-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd like this just so I wouldn't have to go bottom feeding in the lowbie channels looking for alts of high level toons for raids. It SUCKED when I went to the 1-9 channel, stating I was looking for alts of high levels to participate in a raid for Rain Caller final kill, only to be met with 2 level 20 something wizards begging me to join in on the raid... Not on their high level alts but on THOSE chars. They were newbs, but FFS, after I said no and gave a reason, they shoulda backed off and didn't; persisting on begging me to let them join. I even ended up having to be rude to one cuz they were literally giving me a headache. Never again. So please please PLEASE give channel accesses to alts of the highest level char on an account!

sayitaintso
02-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Outstanding idea....It would help with the current problem of finding a group to play with. I have alts in several tiers and monitoring these channels could help fill groups while supplying me (and others) a reason to log in a different toon...Since it is taking upwards of 2-3 HOURS to find a PUG lately on Guk...

kcirrot
02-27-2007, 12:20 AM
I agree as well.

TheSource123
02-27-2007, 08:22 PM
This seems good on paper, but.... It leaves the channels far too open to spam. Someone blocked you for being annoying? Pop another lvl 1 char and flame away, and keep doing it... If the current block system blocks that person's entire account then this is a great idea, but unless we have a "block all" feature I wouldn't want this, it's hard enough to block all the senseless idiots already, but having to block them multiple times would get extremely annoying. Other than that, /agree on those conditions

TheSource123
02-27-2007, 08:24 PM
<cite>Laiina wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Eriol wrote:</cite><blockquote>I would support this if it wasn't for the spamming problems.  I'm sure we'd see more of it. </blockquote><p> How would there be any more spamming?</p><p> Please explain.</p></blockquote>Note: My above post was in response to this.

Snowdonia
02-27-2007, 08:31 PM
<cite>TheSource123 wrote:</cite><blockquote>This seems good on paper, but.... It leaves the channels far too open to spam. Someone blocked you for being annoying? Pop another lvl 1 char and flame away, and keep doing it... If the current block system blocks that person's entire account then this is a great idea, but unless we have a "block all" feature I wouldn't want this, it's hard enough to block all the senseless idiots already, but having to block them multiple times would get extremely annoying. Other than that, /agree on those conditions </blockquote>People can do that anyways if they have more than 1 character in that level range. If I wanted to be an [Removed for Content] in the 50s channel, I have 3 chars I can do that with whether one was blocked or not. If I wanted to be an [Removed for Content] in the 40s channel I have 6 characters I can do that with. It's not that I would mind you, but it's not like people can't do what you're saying already if they really wanted to.

interstellarmatter
02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
<p>I've seen this idea bounced around here before.  It's a very good idea.  If some idiot is spamming, that's why we have the /ignore feature.</p><p> It not only helps people with alts, but new players.  If someone is new to the game and still only lvl 15, all they are going to hear in the lvl 10 to 19 chanenl is silence.  Makes the game feel really dead.  At least if there was a global channel, they could communicate with people at all different levels.  Might make it feel a little bit more alive.</p>

kowalski
02-27-2007, 09:54 PM
In my original post,I proposed Read-Only access to address the spamming issues (if the level channel is higher than my current level).

TheSource123
02-28-2007, 12:09 AM
[email protected] wrote: <blockquote><cite>TheSource123 wrote:</cite><blockquote>This seems good on paper, but.... It leaves the channels far too open to spam. Someone blocked you for being annoying? Pop another lvl 1 char and flame away, and keep doing it... If the current block system blocks that person's entire account then this is a great idea, but unless we have a "block all" feature I wouldn't want this, it's hard enough to block all the senseless idiots already, but having to block them multiple times would get extremely annoying. Other than that, /agree on those conditions </blockquote>People can do that anyways if they have more than 1 character in that level range. If I wanted to be an [Removed for Content] in the 50s channel, I have 3 chars I can do that with whether one was blocked or not. If I wanted to be an [Removed for Content] in the 40s channel I have 6 characters I can do that with. It's not that I would mind you, but it's not like people can't do what you're saying already if they really wanted to. </blockquote>Yah but the point is you can't make a character and get him to lvl 50 in 3 minutes. You may have more than 1 character, but once you've banned all 3 (or 6) you're done until you can get another character up to that lvl range, if you can access it automatically, there is no way to stop them. The problem is it gives people a literally infinite threshold for spam.

Mask
02-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Do people even bother to read a thread before replying? <u><i><b>READ ONLY access</b></i></u> on lower level toons! Then if something interesting comes up, simply /tell <name> hey i have a lvl 70 <class> and will log on in a sec to join ya.

SkinnyFats_EQ2
02-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Great idea - I hate the fact that while I'm on an alt I can't keep track on what's available for my main to get in on.  Strongly supported.

RFMan
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
I would agree, except that the 60-69 channel is already crowded enough as it is.  It would become chaotic with this feature.