PDA

View Full Version : questions about + effects on items

Giland
02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
I was looking at the lvl 62 mastercrafted cloak that gives +5 slash/pierce/crush and was wondering why it doesn't have ranged on it. I even posted about it earlier in the tradeskill forums. Then I was looking at horses. The horses have +4.7 to focus, crushing, slashing, and piercing, and again, I wondered why no ranged. Then I got to wondering. Does slashing/crushing/piercing cover the ranged too? When the arrow does slashing damage, is the slashing on the horse and cape granting a better<i> to hit</i> chance because of the slashing damage of the arrow? If that were true, then weapons that have +slashing would work for bows too. But some bows have a +range to them. Is it because <i>to hit</i> is governed by the type of weapon, not the type of damage inflicted? Or because making something +range would mean it would not effect your melee damage, but still helps ranged damage, while +slash would help both? Anyone have any ideas ?

Haruk
02-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Well, can't say why it doesn't have range, but the pierce/crush/slash can help your ranged do more damage too though. For example, if you're using a rounded arrow, your ranged attacks do crushing damage, so the crushing bonus will help you do more damage. If you're a ranger and use makeshift arrows, you'll do piercing, so the pierce will help you do more damage. I guess +ranged is a "universal" way of helping do more ranged damage, because I guess it helps no matter what type of damage it does, and it won't work on melee, as you said above. Not exactly sure on this though, as I never went and tested it.

Giland
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I was under the impression that +<skill>  (+slash for instance), raises the skill used to determine <i>to hit.</i> Lets say at 70 that skill is 350. +5 to slash makes the skill 355. In effect, giving you a better chance to hit the mob, not literally to do more damage to it. That is the reason different classes (zerkers, rangers) have AAs that cancel out the negative effects of their stances. By removing the -<skill>, they increase their <i>to hit </i>value, indirectly increasing their dps since thier success/attempts percentage should go up. If that is indeed the case, then the player crafted cloaks used alongside a horse would give the player an additional 9.7 skill, giving them the skills of a charactor two levels higher than they really are.