PDA

View Full Version : Why do these forums automatically mark new messages as "read" after some time?


Cusashorn
02-20-2007, 01:53 PM
It's annoying to see that posts made older than a day are marked down as read. I dont even visit the majority of the boards on the forum, and yet the icons indicate there are no new posts in them. What's up with that? Why do the boards do this?

Matia
02-20-2007, 01:59 PM
That is annoying. I guess it's to make up for not having a "Mark All as Read" button, since otherwise you'd have to go to each and every forum individually to clear them. I don't mind it doing so, but I would prefer that it was a setting where we could specify the time frame when this happened (1 Day, 1 Week, 30 Days, etc).

nimrodblack_EQ2
02-20-2007, 02:14 PM
<cite>Matia wrote:</cite><blockquote>That is annoying. I guess it's to make up for not having a "Mark All as Read" button, since otherwise you'd have to go to each and every forum individually to clear them. I don't mind it doing so, but I would prefer that it was a setting where we could specify the time frame when this happened (1 Day, 1 Week, 30 Days, etc). </blockquote><p> Am i wrong when i see a link in the upper right portion of my screen that says "set all topics as read"</p><p> ???!!!  What does this do then?</p>

Rattfa
02-20-2007, 02:17 PM
It probably marks all messages as read everytime you log out/close your browser (sets a cookie) so whenever you log in, the new posts are only from when you last were online. I havent tested it, but a lot of sites seem to work like that these days.

Cusashorn
02-20-2007, 02:18 PM
That's just the thing. I dont want to mark all topics as read. I want them to stay new so I can figure out which ones I'n responding to and keeping track of.

Zcore24
02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Yup....just posted in another thread that this is my #1 beef with these 'new' forums.

Matia
02-20-2007, 05:50 PM
<cite>nimrodblack_EQ2 wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Matia wrote:</cite><blockquote>That is annoying. I guess it's to make up for not having a "Mark All as Read" button, since otherwise you'd have to go to each and every forum individually to clear them. I don't mind it doing so, but I would prefer that it was a setting where we could specify the time frame when this happened (1 Day, 1 Week, 30 Days, etc). </blockquote><p> Am i wrong when i see a link in the upper right portion of my screen that says "set all topics as read"</p><p> ???!!!  What does this do then?</p></blockquote>It does that for that forum, but not for the others, so if you hit the one in this forum, it won't do a thing for the NGD forum.

-Sentinel-
02-22-2007, 12:41 PM
<cite>themixmonkeyx wrote:</cite><blockquote>It probably marks all messages as read everytime you log out/close your browser (sets a cookie) so whenever you log in, the new posts are only from when you last were online. I havent tested it, but a lot of sites seem to work like that these days. </blockquote>Yes, this is how it works.  It only tracks unread messages since your last login.

Cusashorn
02-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Then why does it sometimes mark new messages that I haven't read yet as read?

Nastharl
02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
That is a horrible implementation and needs to be changed. It should not be marking things as read simply because i log out. I've said it before and i'll say it again. We all liked the old forums. Virtually everything good about them and common sense functionality was removed in the upgrade.

Pins
02-22-2007, 04:55 PM
<cite>-Sentinel- wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>themixmonkeyx wrote:</cite><blockquote>It probably marks all messages as read everytime you log out/close your browser (sets a cookie) so whenever you log in, the new posts are only from when you last were online. I havent tested it, but a lot of sites seem to work like that these days. </blockquote>Yes, this is how it works.  It only tracks unread messages since your last login. </blockquote>This is pretty useless feature.  What's the point of marking things as read, when you haven't even read them?  Seems to me that a post should only be marked read when it is read or the user has marked it as read.