PDA

View Full Version : The Value of the These Forums was in the Info

Bawang
02-17-2007, 12:23 PM
<p>I used to be able to find answers to all kinds of questions simply by doing a search in these forums.  It was a gold mine of valuable information.  Suddenly, in their wisdom, SOE managers decide to throw all that away.  I just don't get it.  The forums seems like a barren wasteland now.  Storage media is very cheap.  You can't tell me SOE is saving a significant amount of money by deleting a few gigabytes of files.</p><p> It's as though they so hate the record of what we say here that they look for any excuse to get rid of it.  These "new" forums simply aren't worth losing the very reason which made me come here to enlighten myself time and again.</p><p>It will be a miracle if this post isn't deleted or moved where the sun don't shine.  I was looking to see if anyone has made this point and couldn't find it.  They probably have and the post was unceremoniously deleted.</p>

Tstorm
02-17-2007, 12:58 PM
<cite>Bawang wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>I used to be able to find answers to all kinds of questions simply by doing a search in these forums.  It was a gold mine of valuable information.  Suddenly, in their wisdom, SOE managers decide to throw all that away.</p></blockquote>While I agree with you that there were some nuggets of great information, there are a couple of pretty important points that need to be made: <ol><li>We were told this was going to happen ahead of time and advised to save whatever we felt needed to be saved.</li><li>A good deal of the discussion on the forums is noise (repeating old discussions, emotional rants, issues lacking actual data, etc.) and having a reset in many of the forums allows us to have a fresh start and a cleaner forum. </li></ol>Again, I think some valuable information has been lost, but there are advantages to what was done.

Caliga
02-17-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't think they did it just to make you miserable.  They wanted all their games on similar forums and they said they didn't move a lot of the walkthroughs and guides because they were out of date.   What I don't understand was the stuff the did move.  Post listing all the diety abilities didn't make it, 10 pages of rangers fighting about arrows did...[Removed for Content]?!?!

Tstorm
02-17-2007, 02:39 PM
<cite>Caliga wrote:</cite><blockquote> Post listing all the diety abilities didn't make it, 10 pages of rangers fighting about arrows did...[Removed for Content]?!?! </blockquote><a href="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=342172" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">This post</a> listing the diety abilities or another one?

MrAdequate
02-17-2007, 04:12 PM
The way they did this was somewhat backwards.  The Gameplay and Quest forums had lots of great info but they cleared those out.  However, they kept all the posts in the Test Server and Server Community forums.  So now you can go back and find test server posts with feedback on updates that were tested two years ago and guild recruitment threads from guilds that no longer exist but you can't find posts with info on quests or gameplay mechanics.

Caliga
02-17-2007, 07:35 PM
<cite>Tstorm wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>Caliga wrote:</cite><blockquote> Post listing all the diety abilities didn't make it, 10 pages of rangers fighting about arrows did...[Removed for Content]?!?! </blockquote><a href="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=342172" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">This post</a> listing the diety abilities or another one? </blockquote>A different one, but I'm glad one made it.