PDA

View Full Version : Incoming changes to the forum


Hammerfel
02-13-2007, 05:06 PM
<ol><li>We're going to change it so you keep your post count and creation date no matter which persona you post under. (yay!) </li><li>Adding links to make it easier to find your own public profile</li><li>Adding a "Switch Personas" link to the links along the top to make that easier to access. FYI - you can switch personas only once per day. This is to prevent people from having "me too!" conversations with themselves. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> </li><li>We're going to allow users to set their handle to the same name as their Station account. Please be aware this is a security risk if you happen to do this. It makes it easier for people to guess your login. If you do choose to do this, don't post about it. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></li><li>Adding some text to the Persona Privacy Management screen to make it more obvious what those checkboxes are for (they are for making particular games or characters visible on your public profile. Don't check them if you want to keep your Alts secret) </li></ol>

Matia
02-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Those will help some Hammerfel, thanks.

Xadius
02-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Awesome, thanks for the updates.

thedu
02-13-2007, 05:41 PM
This is probably nitpicking but can some kind of box or lines be put around "quotes".  The current look is difficult to follow at times. Especially in quote's within quote's.

Fringe
02-13-2007, 05:48 PM
<hr /> thedump wrote: <blockquote><b>This is probably nitpicking but can some kind of box or lines be put around "quotes".  The current look is difficult to follow at times. Especially in quote's within quote's. </b></blockquote><hr /> I was having the same problem with Quotes. It's not a solution but in the meantime you can use the Bold feature to highlight the quote and the Insert Horizontal Ruler to separate them from the rest of your post.

CyraDUS
02-13-2007, 06:15 PM
I am liking those changes!!

SilkenKidden
02-13-2007, 06:18 PM
<cite>Hammerfel wrote:</cite><blockquote><ol><li>We're going to change it so you keep your post count and creation date no matter which persona you post under. (yay!) </li><li>Adding links to make it easier to find your own public profile</li><li>Adding a "Switch Personas" link to the links along the top to make that easier to access. FYI - you can switch personas only once per day. This is to prevent people from having "me too!" conversations with themselves. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> </li><li>We're going to allow users to set their handle to the same name as their Station account. Please be aware this is a security risk if you happen to do this. It makes it easier for people to guess your login. If you do choose to do this, don't post about it. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></li><li>Adding some text to the Persona Privacy Management screen to make it more obvious what those checkboxes are for (they are for making particular games or characters visible on your public profile. Don't check them if you want to keep your Alts secret) </li></ol></blockquote><p>I COULD NOT SET MY HANDLE TO STATION ID AND I AM VERY ANNOYED AT NOT BE ABLE TO DO SO.  I AM ANNOYED AT BEING MADE TO JUMP THROUGH HOOPS JUST TO POST A MESSAGE HERE AFTER TWO YEARS IN THE GAME.  </p><p>IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.  YOU NERFED IT.  NOW YOU NEED TO FIX IT. </p>

ArivenGemini
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
<cite>Hammerfel wrote:</cite><blockquote><ol><li>We're going to allow users to set their handle to the same name as their Station account. Please be aware this is a security risk if you happen to do this. It makes it easier for people to guess your login. If you do choose to do this, don't post about it. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></li></ol></blockquote> Can we go back and do this after we are already registered?

ArivenGemini
02-13-2007, 06:21 PM
<cite>thedump wrote:</cite><blockquote>This is probably nitpicking but can some kind of box or lines be put around "quotes".  The current look is difficult to follow at times. Especially in quote's within quote's. </blockquote>Hopefully they will make this change soon..  I ended up using an add-on with firefox to give blockquotes a box around them.. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />  but SOE can add one line to a css file and do the same for everyone. 

Caliga
02-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Please give us the ability to float threads and forums to the top.  That is how I kept up with which threads I was following and since notification doesn't work its nearly impossible for me to know if anyone has responded to what I've said. Edit: Glad to see we have the edit button now.  If floaties are out of the question can we at least have a different icon for posts we've responded to?  That would help greatly in keeping conversations going.

Sassums
02-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Will these changes affect all the forums? I know the same log in as display name information made it over to the SWG boards and its not to say, the best thing over there. Also how do you have more then 1 "persona"? For the life of me I cant figure it out.

Toredorf
02-13-2007, 07:55 PM
What about the Zone and Population forum? lots of people want it back.

Shailas
02-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Hammerfel...any update on when/if we will be able to float or bookmark threads?

Nuhus
02-14-2007, 03:13 AM
<p>FYI mine seems to rendomly switch between Nuhus and <a href="mailto:[email protected]" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">[email protected]</a> Bayle when posting for some reason.</p><p>Also future request: When you type something like ( 58 ) - with no spaces it ends out as (5<img src="/smilies/b2eb59423fbf5fa39342041237025880.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> is there a way that could be set so if something preceeds the 8 ) that it won't convert to a smiley?</p>

Nemissis
02-14-2007, 03:34 AM
Sounds great! Any chance you are able to include the old station smily faces i miss them lol or does it not allow you to do that hehe =) o btw had a horrible time locating things at the begining but maby you guys could do a temp forum with a screen shot and were to find me of everything =P took me forever to login lol =P  lol may be a lil late tho =P love the new forum! only thing i miss is those dam smily faces =D lol

DaLurk
02-14-2007, 06:52 AM
No RSS Feed planed ? <img src="/smilies/9d71f0541cff0a302a0309c5079e8dee.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> I missed them.

Runewind
02-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Are we going to be able to see our forum title? As it stands now pretty much everyone is "Forum User"

Selfea
02-15-2007, 08:08 AM
<cite>thedump wrote:</cite><blockquote>This is probably nitpicking but can some kind of box or lines be put around "quotes".  The current look is difficult to follow at times. Especially in quote's within quote's. </blockquote><p>*points at box* ^^ edit: aw now I'm sad. There's a box around it in the reply box, but it's not there on the post <img src="/smilies/9d71f0541cff0a302a0309c5079e8dee.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></p><p> edit2: yay! now there's a box! it's like magic! </p>

Surroth
02-16-2007, 06:29 PM
<p>Would it be possible to add back the "Previous" and "Next" thread links.  It is slow to go back to main room to drill down to the thread you want to view.</p><p>Thanks,</p>

Nacoa
02-16-2007, 06:40 PM
<span style="color: #ff00ff">Colored Text </span>appears to be working in new posts, but does not work when <a href="http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=30&topic_id=302804�" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">editing old posts</a>.

Captain_Xpendab
02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
The biggest thing for me is not having the ability to jump to the first unread post.  It irritates me that this seems to have been overlooked as I consider this to be a core standard feature that should be expected of any forum put out these days.

Spider
02-16-2007, 08:46 PM
<p>how about the small issue of posts showing as read when there are infact new unread posts in the thread ?</p><p>this happens about 80% of the time  <img src="/smilies/9d71f0541cff0a302a0309c5079e8dee.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> it makes me sad </p>

-Sentinel-
02-19-2007, 04:16 AM
<cite>Spider wrote:</cite><blockquote><p>how about the small issue of posts showing as read when there are infact new unread posts in the thread ?</p><p>this happens about 80% of the time  <img src="/smilies/9d71f0541cff0a302a0309c5079e8dee.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /> it makes me sad </p></blockquote>Spider, Can you give me more specific details of when and where you see this?  Are you logged in at the time?  Does it say Logout [Spider] at the top next to the Private Messages link?  Are you running a browser that supports cookies (and cookies are enabled)?  Basically when you aren't logged in, all threads will appear as read.  When you are logged in, it will track read/unread messages  for your account. Thanks, Sentinel

Jahiah
02-19-2007, 01:57 PM
<p>are there any plans to 'tweak' the search function?  at current, there is no way to 'sort by' the search.  if i search for 'commands' i get messages randomly dated from 2004 to current time but no way to sort it by date, forum, etc at all.</p><p>would also LOVE the column that shows the exact number of new posts to that forum since you last read them</p>

tebion
02-20-2007, 04:54 AM
<cite>Captain_Xpendable wrote:</cite><blockquote>The biggest thing for me is not having the ability to jump to the first unread post.  It irritates me that this seems to have been overlooked as I consider this to be a core standard feature that should be expected of any forum put out these days.</blockquote>QFE that and i am really missing the column in the overview that shows me how many unread posts  are in that thread. And i really prefered that bold/non bold difference of thread-subject (in the overview again) that showed me if a thread has unread posts or not.

Shailas
02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
I really...really miss board float/bookmark and the ability to jump to the last unread post.  <img src="/smilies/9d71f0541cff0a302a0309c5079e8dee.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />

dawy
02-25-2007, 11:52 PM
I miss the email notification of new posts :/

-Sentinel-
02-26-2007, 01:27 PM
<cite>dawy wrote:</cite><blockquote>I miss the email notification of new posts :/</blockquote>Are you talking about being able to watch an entire forum for new topics being created?  Because email notification of replies to posts you are watching should work. Sentinel

Fringe
02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
<cite>-Sentinel- wrote:</cite><blockquote><cite>dawy wrote:</cite><blockquote>I miss the email notification of new posts :/</blockquote>Are you talking about being able to watch an entire forum for new topics being created?  Because email notification of replies to posts you are watching should work. Sentinel </blockquote><p>But it doesn't and hasn't since day one. I've been logged in & out several times. I've checked my email address. I've double checked to make sure that I have marked the thread as Watched yet never once gotten any email notifications for threads or PMs. As a matter of fact, there's no indication of a new PM what so ever unless you go to the PM section.</p><p>Also, any updated list on what we can expect over the next several weeks. There are a lot of outstanding issues that have been discussed but we just don't know where they stand in the grand scheme of things. Any insight would be highly appreciated. Thank you kindly. </p>

selch
02-26-2007, 11:25 PM
<p>Any planned changes that this board can be slightly better?</p><p>No word on programming, but whoever designed interface, however designed CSS failed miserably...</p>

nithrill
02-27-2007, 11:17 PM
<p>Since this thread seems to have changed into a suggestions thread I have a few comments:</p><ul><li>enable the ability to mark all forum posts as read (not just posts within a specific forum)</li><li>enable the ability to get a list of ones own posts (I found it useful to see when people did respond to threads I was active in).</li><li>(even though it has been mentioned before) floating of selective forums to the top of the main page (I frequent some forums alot and it is very bothersome to have to search for them each time I switch between them, especially the class forums that are buried under a link).</li><li>make the difference between a thread with unread posts and one with all posts read more significant (the icons are very tiny and it is tiresome to look for an unread thread on the left most side of the screen, my resolution is 1600x1200 so the icons are REALLY small).</li><li>  - at the very least don't just use colors to indicate read vs unread, use a completely different icon as well as color</li><li>  -  the best thing would be if unread threads could be bold faced (though I understand that to be one of the more serious limitations of this forum engine so that might require some effort, but it would make the forum so much more "readable&quot<img src="/smilies/8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />.</li></ul>