PDA

View Full Version : mystic wards dropping lightning fast (bug?)

Shunidar
02-18-2005, 03:00 AM
<DIV>Hi, I was out doing some tests with a few guildies using my Mystic (lvl 21) warding a lvl 21 monk.  I feel the resuts of this are indicitive of the fact that the mechanics of our healing abilites need some attention.  I am not sure if this is a bug or working as intended or on the list of things to adjust?</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>-When warding my group against a yellow ++ skeleton, monk as the main tank, my wards were dropping in one or two hits.  I immediately thought this was a bug since an adept 3 ward should not be dropping instantly.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>-At level 21 adept 3 ancestral ward protects against 535 pts of damage.  In the damage parse on the monk, the ward was absorbing all 535 in one shot vs a lvl 22 ++ skeleton in TS.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>-Some people told me that it was only because monks are avoidance tanks, and when they are hit they are hit hard.  Turns out after further testing, that ward protect damage BEFORE armor class is applied.  As in, the ward was abosrbing the same amount of damage when hit no matter what was hit.  The ward would only last thought 1 hit <U>no matter if it was on a plate wearing guardian or a paper wearing caster</U>.  This is unbalanced in my opinion. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>- I think the fact that damage is applied before armor class might be a bug, because 535 pts of damage before armor class is nothing.  I also think it would unbalance the game to just up the amount of points the ward absorbs since you could have warlocks running around as main tanks.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>-Perhaps a good way to balance this is to allow damage to be absorbed AFTER the target's armor class.  Also, consider making it so wards also absorb magic or DoT damage and allow a percentage of damage though the ward.  IE, as it currently stands magic and many special attacks bypass the ward.  If the ward absorbed all of these things, perhaps you could compensate for allowing 15-20% of all damage though the ward to prevent from getting lazy healers.  Any adjustments or bug fixes in this area would be most appreciated.  Thanks!</DIV>

Corlin
02-18-2005, 07:29 AM
<DIV><FONT size=2>Was playing around with 15th level shaman.  App4 Spectral Ward (lower level) worked fine, for what it is worth.</FONT></DIV>

Shunidar
02-18-2005, 08:02 PM
<DIV>I encourage you to try an experiment where you go solo a weak green mob (for safety) to get hit, and record the damage.  Then ward, and record how much the ward is absorbing (there is a message that pops up for this).  The damage on the ward will be higher than it is for when you get hit.  In tier 2 mobs hit for generally less and without looking at the damage taken, you will not likely notice any problems with the wards.  By tier 3 when mitigation increases and mob damage output increases, that difference becomes very noticible, enough to drop your ward in one hit.</DIV>