PDA

View Full Version : My solo dungeon experience

Jon
02-12-2005, 09:34 AM
I tried out one of the solo dungeon instances tonight, A Pirate's Hidden Stash.I was level 22 and the first trio group of mobs I encountered was also 23, 23--. Survived my first fight, my second, my third. Soon came to a hard right in the tunnel, a trio of yellow-- aggroed me through the tunnel wall. I survived them, barely. Fought a trio of blue--, and a second. Then I peek around the corner and there's a level 25 boss mob, orange con. No chance. No chance at all but I took the chance. I was right, no chance, but I did escape the instance with my life.Overall? Well if I had been a duo I'm sure I could have gone further but as a soloer I found it disappointing. I didn't go very far, really, and I didn't get any phat lewt. I did get one vial of rat saliva that sold for 8s though. Maybe at level 23 I'll try it again but at 22 I feel like it shouldn't have let me in solo.

Jon
02-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Tried it again at 23. Was aggroed through the wall again by the now white-- trio. The boss mob wasn't there, was replaced by a single level 24 mob. Two loot drops in the dungeon, one adept early on and one decent weapon for another class midway. Finishing the dungeon was a letdown as there was no drop after the final encounter. Sure, clearing the duneon provided job satisfaction but job satisfaction doesn't pay the bills.

tesarei
02-14-2005, 07:14 PM
<DIV>hmm i havent tried the solo dungeons yet.  the agro through the wall sounds anoying though. i know that if i had several mobs my same lvl on me id have to run. as a wizard i cant genuraly take on more then one mob at a time. (cant tank, and interupts are bad) so getting unexpected agro is not a good thing.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Kwoung
02-14-2005, 11:15 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> tesarei wrote:<BR> <DIV>as a wizard i cant genuraly take on more then one mob at a time. (cant tank, and interupts are bad) so getting unexpected agro is not a good thing. <HR> </DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Yup, as a wizzy I have serious issues with soloing due to interupts. As soon as root breaks (if it even stuck in the first place) I am stunned for 50% or more of the rest of the fight with a solo. Considering that my "good" spells all have a very long cast time, my chance of interupt is huge. Now get 2 or more mobs on me.. and I am sweating bullets as all I can do is hope and pray that I can actually get enough spells off between my paralyzations to kill them. I actually had 3 low greens thrash the heck out of me and almost died due to me being able to do nothing more than watch them pound on me.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I think the new damage changes are great for wizzies, it is very nice that my level 20+ nukes now do more damage than my level 10 nuke... but I would LOVE to see the EQ2 equivalent of the EQ channeling skill, so I could actually cast more often than standing there paralyzed while I get hit.</DIV><p>Message Edited by Kwoung on <span class=date_text>02-14-2005</span> <span class=time_text>10:17 AM</span>

Jon
02-16-2005, 09:55 PM
I've now done this dungeon again since yesterday's update. I can see where the mobs have had a bit of tweaking, but nothing significant. I have to question though that this is a dungeon meant for soloing in the low 20s as has been publicized. The boss mob, Blarg, is level 25. At 23 I can barely solo him and I'm a very good soloer. I can't see anyone 20-22 soloing this dungeon and most subclasses will have problems at 23. A good duo at 20? Maybe but still the boss is 5 levels higher. Anyone with out some means of crowd control will have problems with the mobs all in groups of three.The one trio aggroing through the wall is still a problem. I didn't agro them so I could look at their placement on the other side. The mob on the left (facing them) could be moved three feet right and probably not cause wall aggro.It's still disappointing that there's no drop at the end of the dungeon. The pattern I've seen is that I get one adept and one good loot drop mid dungeon (Loot on the boss if he's there, if not then from one of the other groups) but nothing at the end where, psychologically, I feel let down for not having a reward.Having the rats be druids was an interesting touch my last trip through.

Archae
02-16-2005, 09:59 PM
<DIV>Solo'ing isnt the same to everyone...</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>As a conjuror (level 34) i can solo oranges with little to no risk (assuming no adds), so long as it is a single orange, now if my pet loses agro, which happens, i have to get it stunned/rooted/or something before it eats through my ward in 2 hits.  Prior to level 35 critters, was easy, cause had fast 1 sec cast stun, now my 35+ stun is 4 sec cast, which is so long its almost always interrupted.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>However, I cannot stand against 2 greens. (no arrows, just greens) without a lot of luck because my pet doesnt do group taunts so one always comes after me.  I do have one root, so sometimes i can park one while the pet gets the other mad, but its risky, easier to solo oranges.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Now some fighters/scouts can wade into 3-5 greens and go to town, but have trouble with a single orange.  </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>It just varies.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>