PDA

View Full Version : Things that are now on the same timer

Lancealittle
12-29-2004, 07:38 PM
<DIV>As a druid I found something strange about a couple spells I have on the same timer.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>My Smite and Stinging Swarm are on the same timer. One is my cleric DD and other is my druid DoT. If they want to move attacks to the same timer they should have put Smite with my druid DD called Chill.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Anyone else finding strange combos since the last patch?</DIV>

ProtoDe
01-01-2005, 12:02 AM
<DIV>Constantly.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Did you happen to notice, anything that is effectively a <STRONG>nerf</STRONG> goes in <STRONG>immediately</STRONG>.  Anything considered an <STRONG>enhancement</STRONG> takes <STRONG>weeks of testing</STRONG>?  Even then it's a crapshoot whether we will actually see it go live.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Grobani
01-01-2005, 06:13 AM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Lancealittle wrote:<BR> <DIV>As a druid I found something strange about a couple spells I have on the same timer.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>My Smite and Stinging Swarm are on the same timer. One is my cleric DD and other is my druid DoT. If they want to move attacks to the same timer they should have put Smite with my druid DD called Chill.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Anyone else finding strange combos since the last patch?</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>I can't quote for what's on the Test Server but there was a Dev post a while back about this issue.  The new spell is meant to replace the older one, that's why they're on the same timer. </P> <P>But your question is valid, as they are two different types of spells....</P>

Ndiar
01-01-2005, 07:18 AM
yeah a Druid's damage per second (DPS) while constantly casting (spamming) smite, chill, and letting stinging swarm tick is kinda too high. y'know.

Alpheratz
01-03-2005, 09:30 PM
<DIV>Oh God save us from the nerf bat i cannot afford a whole new set of nerf in this new game also.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I promised myself i would quit istantly a never buy another mmporg in my life if eq2 start to be like daoc, and trust me I am serius. They had years and months to test and balance, if they need to make balancing changes now after the game is out and ppl levelled then is their fault, I tough the original eq2 was awesome, you can group and sometime solo when no one is around, exp is balanced for the average player to level, not fast not too slow, yeah the powergamers can hit lv 50 in 40 days but you know what they are no life idiots that screw every game. For normal ppl with a work and a family to level to 50 you need months maybe even a year if you do what is supposed to in a game named everQUEST, and i hope the game will stay like it is now and not become "balanced" because a few ppl have no life.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Shazzbott_Feldercarb
01-03-2005, 10:11 PM
<blockquote><hr>Alpheratz wrote:<DIV>ORambled on about...<hr></blockquote>I have noticed that my crusaders call to arms(fighter) and level 10(green plus trait) operate on the same timer. They use the same icon so I can assume they should work that way. Both being short combat buffs I more often then not need to choose which to use.Shazz

ep
01-04-2005, 01:03 AM
<blockquote><hr>Grobanite wrote:<P>I can't quote for what's on the Test Server but there was a Dev post a while back about this issue. The new spell is meant to replace the older one, that's why they're on the same timer. </P><P>But your question is valid, as they are two different types of spells....</P><hr></blockquote>I don't see how Stinging Swarm can be a replacement to Chill. I could understand Smite and Chill on the same timer, as both are DD, but Stinging Swarm is a DoT.A druid/warden only has the following damage spells:11 - Chill : DD14 - Stinging Swarm : DoT24 - Cold Snap : DoT25 - Frost : DD31 - Summer's Flame : DD32 - Winds of Frost : AoE DD38.6 - Frostbite : DoT39.6 - Bitter Frost : DD45.6 - Winter's Bite : DD46.8 - Winds of Winter : AoE DDYou may notice there are only 3 DoTs listed there. Nerfing 1 doesn't seem very fair. I could see maybe nerfing Chill a tiny bit, or nerfing the solo HO for a druid/warden, but putting Chill and Stinging Swarm on the same timer seems kinda silly.

Lancealittle
01-04-2005, 01:14 AM
<DIV>I put in Feedback about but, but not sure if it will go live like it is. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I'm only a 21 Fury, so I'm not sure how the timers will work on my next damage spells. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I'm all for having similar spells on the same timer as their upgrade. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I just don't think they intended Smite to share a timer with Stinging Swarm. The recast is short anyway, so it does not hurt my damage output much. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Jooneau
01-04-2005, 01:26 AM
I would /bug it on Test if Smite and Stinging Swarm were on the same timer. It should be Smite and Chill that are on the same timer.Druid/Fury:3 - Smite : DD11 - Chill : DD14 - Stinging Swarm: DoT + debuff22 - Cyclone : DoT24 - Strike of Thunder : DD31 - Deadly Swarm : DoT + debuff32 - Starburst : AE DD36 - Whirlwind : DoT38 - Strike of Storms : DD43 - Dooming Swarm : DoT + debuff46 - Starfire : AE DDThe way these spells should be linked is:Timer 1 ... 3 Smite - 11 Chill - 24 Strike of Thunder - 38 Strike of StormsTimer 2 ... 14 Stinging Swarm - 31 Deadly Swarm - 43 Dooming SwarmTimer 3 ... 22 Cyclone - 36 WhirlwindTimer 4 ... 32 Starburst - 46 Starfire

tesarei
01-04-2005, 07:07 PM
<DIV>on test i also not that my crafting buff timers anre now all on the same timer.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>these need to be on seperat timers and the reson for this is i use my tier 2 buffs to contol the duability and progress</DIV> <DIV>but they take a while tr recove so if a event comes ip i use my tier one or 3 counters (depending on which i like better)</DIV> <DIV>so if there all on the same time you cant do this.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>if this is left the sam then you need to reduce the recycle time for the buffs. Most times the buffs are just a tad longer then one cycle whic can force you to mis a reaction if you have used that buff to controal the durability/progress and that can realy hurt and is not fair to the crafter.</DIV>

Lancealittle
01-04-2005, 08:01 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> tesarei wrote:<BR> <DIV>on test i also not that my crafting buff timers anre now all on the same timer.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>these need to be on seperat timers and the reson for this is i use my tier 2 buffs to contol the duability and progress</DIV> <DIV>but they take a while tr recove so if a event comes ip i use my tier one or 3 counters (depending on which i like better)</DIV> <DIV>so if there all on the same time you cant do this.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>if this is left the sam then you need to reduce the recycle time for the buffs. Most times the buffs are just a tad longer then one cycle whic can force you to mis a reaction if you have used that buff to controal the durability/progress and that can realy hurt and is not fair to the crafter.</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE>I believe this was an intentional change to keep people from spam crafting. It's now more important to react to events and other buttons can cause problems.<BR>

tesarei
01-04-2005, 09:40 PM
<DIV>this wont stop me from using the buffs the way i have before the only thing this does is make it so i have a much greater chance of missing a reaction.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>this changes if it goes live is a bad idea in my opinion. unless they also reduce the recycle time on them to less the 1/2 the time it takes to have a event happen.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>they way it has been working in my opinion was fine. if it aint broke dont fix it. and the way it works on live works.</DIV>

Neko
01-04-2005, 10:01 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> ProtoDewd wrote:<BR> <DIV>Constantly.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Did you happen to notice, anything that is effectively a <STRONG>nerf</STRONG> goes in <STRONG>immediately</STRONG>.  Anything considered an <STRONG>enhancement</STRONG> takes <STRONG>weeks of testing</STRONG>?  Even then it's a crapshoot whether we will actually see it go live.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>That is because they only 'Nerf' things that they know to be unblanced, and a reduction will not have the same long lasting negative impacts that an unbalancing increase would have.</FONT></DIV> <DIV></FONT> </DIV> <DIV>Make players weaker and you simply risk more rants.  This can be reduced by slowly increasing it to most people's satisfaction.</FONT></DIV> <DIV></FONT> </DIV> <DIV>Make players stronger and you open a flood gates to exploiters, the rants from the 'I am level 50, I want 50+ content now!' rants, and the negative impacts these players cause to the normal players.</FONT></DIV> <DIV></FONT> </DIV> <DIV></FONT> </DIV> <DIV>Obviously its about fixing what is controllable and has the least amout of long lasting negative impacts.    Its not about making sure that Johnny Ranter gets to have his Uber character, regardless of the price to other customers. </FONT></DIV>

Neko
01-04-2005, 10:02 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Grobanite wrote:<BR><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Lancealittle wrote:<BR> <DIV>As a druid I found something strange about a couple spells I have on the same timer.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>My Smite and Stinging Swarm are on the same timer. One is my cleric DD and other is my druid DoT. If they want to move attacks to the same timer they should have put Smite with my druid DD called Chill.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Anyone else finding strange combos since the last patch?</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>I can't quote for what's on the Test Server but there was a Dev post a while back about this issue.  The new spell is meant to replace the older one, that's why they're on the same timer. </P> <P>But your question is valid, as they are two different types of spells....</P><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> I thought the 'Replacement' of older spells was refering to the lv10/20/30 Trait Spells, and not anything that is currently on the live servers.

tharvey
01-06-2005, 11:55 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Jooneau wrote:<BR>I would /bug it on Test if Smite and Stinging Swarm were on the same timer. It should be Smite and Chill that are on the same timer.<BR><BR>Druid/Fury:<BR><BR>3 - Smite : DD<BR><BR>11 - Chill : DD<BR>14 - Stinging Swarm: DoT + debuff<BR><BR>22 - Cyclone : DoT<BR>24 - Strike of Thunder : DD<BR><BR>31 - Deadly Swarm : DoT + debuff<BR>32 - Starburst : AE DD<BR>36 - Whirlwind : DoT<BR>38 - Strike of Storms : DD<BR><BR>43 - Dooming Swarm : DoT + debuff<BR>46 - Starfire : AE DD<BR><BR>The way these spells should be linked is:<BR><BR>Timer 1 ... 3 Smite - 11 Chill - 24 Strike of Thunder - 38 Strike of Storms<BR>Timer 2 ... 14 Stinging Swarm - 31 Deadly Swarm - 43 Dooming Swarm<BR>Timer 3 ... 22 Cyclone - 36 Whirlwind<BR>Timer 4 ... 32 Starburst - 46 Starfire<BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE>Not really - Stinging Swarm is technically a Smite upgrade (it's the split version of Admonishing Smite, which everyone used to have as an upgrade to Smite but now only clerics do) - it's definitely in the same spell line. Chill is a separate spell line.  The upgrade to Chill is not Strike of Thunder, but Whirlwind / Cyclone (note the anti-Elemental component to both). If you notice that SoE basically considers DoTs and DDs equivalent in this game and ignore whether something's done over time or instantly, it's pretty clear for damage spells. Buffs it can be a little more confusing.<BR> <FONT size=2></FONT>

AppyH
01-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Why should it be neccesary to link spells at all? Its bloody annoying that you cant use the spells you have.

FaybleTaleteller
01-07-2005, 05:16 AM
<DIV>I just posted on another board that we should all calm down, that the bug was not intended...now I will post here, saying we should be mad:</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>In addition to the issues I posted a little while ago, many players are reporting that spells and arts that were usable independently of one another before today are now using the same recast timer. I wanted to take a moment to clarify this situation.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>The Training options are intended to act as a higher-powered replacement for abilities you are already using. Training is not meant to give you an additional ability; rather, it is meant to act as a significant upgrade to an existing spell or combat art. Since these are free upgrades that are much more potent than the Apprentice I spells you ordinarily receive, they need to share a recast timer in order to maintain game balance.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>However, a number of other spells and arts that had been separate are now tied together as well. For instance, certain heal or damage-over-time spells that were independent of one another now prevent similar spells from being used. We are working at this very moment to reverse this change so that the affected spells and arts will work the same way they did before this update.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>To sum up: Training options are intended to replace existing abilities and thus will share the same timer. The recast timers of standard spells and arts that were affected by today's update will be reverted to function the way they have since launch.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Unfortunately, this change will require some additional testing, so we will probably not be able to apply it along with the fixes for the four key issues mentioned in my first post. We will push the spell linking change to the live servers just as soon as we can, but it will not happen until Friday or Saturday.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>We're sorry for the confusion this has caused, and I hope this post clarifies how the Training and recast timers are meant to work.</DIV> <P>===========================<BR>Moorgard<BR>EverQuest II Community Guy</P></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I had high hopes, as we seemed to have more communication to begin with than we usually ever had on EQLive, but apparently they didn't even read this thread which has been here for days.  We can hope this will learn them, I guess, but it is very disappointing.</P> <P> </P> <P>Rikki</P> <P>formerly known as Wisben, Fayble, and a host of others on EQ1 TS.</P>

Feaw
01-07-2005, 06:13 PM
<DIV>I didnt notice any issues on my 17 crusader on test yesterday but on my wizard on a live server after the patch i noticed that her old newbie dot and her fire dot were on the same timer and i had to remove one from my hot bar.   On a side note a necomancer in group yesterday bragged he could stack 4 dots.   I have  a 16 druid also on a live server and they are hardly over powerd.    I could beat something and do more damage than her dd spells.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Lancealittle
01-07-2005, 06:55 PM
<DIV>Having things on the same timer makes sence to me. Some spells are direct upgrades to previous spells. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>It should have been that way from the start, that way they could have been balancing encounters with that in mind.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>The funny thing is, I just realized that willowskin was an upgrade to courage by seeing that both greyed out when I cast one. The strange thing is, both can be active and take up concentration, so being on the same timer is a bit silly. They should not let them stack if one is the upgrade. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV>