PDA

View Full Version : Rare resource drops and book drops


DrTEE
12-27-2004, 06:01 AM
I have found a total of SEVEN rare resource drops here on test. They are of all types except lapis. However, i have found just 2 artisan books in the same time frame killing green/blue/white/yellow solo and green/blue group mobs. I have been playing daily since just before Christmas and i played off and on before that. My six good alts are all citizens and my highest character is 13. So on test I have rssources i can't use. On Live I have all the books but no resources. I have found exactly 2 low qual pelts since November (made them into waxed backpacks). Has anyone else noticed this apparent increace in rare resource drops. Has anyone noticed a drop in adept 1 spell/art drops? How are the book drops in tier 2. (I have found one scholar book in antonica.

Shazzbott_Feldercarb
12-27-2004, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><hr>DrTEE wrote:I have found a total of SEVEN rare resource drops here on test. They are of all types except lapis. However, i have found just 2 artisan books in the same time frame killing green/blue/white/yellow solo and green/blue group mobs. I have been playing daily since just before Christmas and i played off and on before that. My six good alts are all citizens and my highest character is 13. So on test I have rssources i can't use. On Live I have all the books but no resources. I have found exactly 2 low qual pelts since November (made them into waxed backpacks). Has anyone else noticed this apparent increace in rare resource drops. Has anyone noticed a drop in adept 1 spell/art drops? How are the book drops in tier 2. (I have found one scholar book in antonica.<hr></blockquote>Its probably just the fact that you are able to harvest more resources that the rares show up more. Also, mobs are getting killed far less then on live so less chests are dropping. With 1/10 the population of a live server, you have to allow for the little variences in drops.Shazz

Kwoung
12-27-2004, 11:12 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Shazzbott_Feldercarb wrote:<BR><BR>With 1/10 the population of a live server, you have to allow for the little variences in drops.<BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Actually, there is more to it than that. The mobs that are more likely to drop chests (and thus adepts) are not hunted as often on Test as they tend to not be the types that a small group or a soloer can do easilly, whereas on live, they are killed as soon as they pop due to multiple groups in the areas.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>So in short, even though the population may be 10%, the drop rate of Adepts is most likely at 4% or less of the production drop rate on them. Not to mention that on production there will be multiple instances of the same mobs getting killed and on Test there will most likely never be more than a single instance, so that in itself makes a 2-4x difference on top of everything else.</DIV>

Zinj
12-27-2004, 11:37 PM
<DIV>Been playing on TEST off and on for about 3 weeks now.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Only multi-instance zone I've seen so far is IoR and that's when production servers are down.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I've gotten only 1 adept drop (which I can't use) since coming to Freeport.  I've gotten 4 or 5 of the advanced artisan drops so far, and am working on getting the advanced alchemy ones.  As such, I've nullified combat XP to do so.  Why?  Because nobody is selling them.  Let's not talk about the black market as prices are not reasonable there.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I forage nearly everything I see.  Not a single rare yet.  Only harvested 2 rares during beta, and only 1 on a production server since the game went live.</DIV>

Daeanor
12-28-2004, 06:24 PM
<DIV>There is no shortage of rares on the live servers. The problem there is they are so ridiculously priced only a few can afford them. Since the few that can <EM>do</EM> buy from time to time, the prices stay high. There are regularly 8-10 corals and silvers (selling for 8-15 gold), and usually 3-4 jaspers and palladiums (selling for 24+ gold) on the broker every time I look. They drop frequently enough that there would be a resonable supply <STRONG><EM>if</EM></STRONG> the pricing players asked was reasonable.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>The problem isn't really the drop rate. It's player greed, and no game mechanic is going to fix that. If they increase the drops, the pricing will in fact go down, but it will trivialize adepts. I can't think of a good solution, to be honest, and I don't think increasing the drops is it.</DIV>

Kwoung
12-28-2004, 10:17 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Zinj wrote:<BR> <DIV>Only harvested 2 rares during beta</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>You must have been in the last phase of beta after they "adjusted" rare harvests then. I was able to harvest approximately 1 rare per hour in Commonlands during beta prior to that *if* I was the only person in the area and I felt that was a very reasonable rate. After the change it dropped to 1 rare per 4 solid hours of harvesting and to the best of my knowledge, was reduced even further after the game went live.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I have both live and Test characters with harvesting skills close to 100, in all that time I have managed to find a single rare harvest... <STRONG>IMHO that is way to low of a drop rate.</STRONG></DIV>

Shazzbott_Feldercarb
12-28-2004, 10:25 PM
In the last 4 hours of play, I've been doing harvesting for my tradeskills. In that time, I have 3 different rares. Blackend iron, bronze and silver. That seems pretty fair to me.This over the last 4 days of play on test.Shazz

Kwoung
12-28-2004, 10:33 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Shazzbott_Feldercarb wrote:<BR>In the last 4 hours of play, I've been doing harvesting for my tradeskills. In that time, I have 3 different rares. Blackend iron, bronze and silver. That seems pretty fair to me.<BR><BR>This over the last 4 days of play on test.<BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>If it was consistant I would say yes it is... but in the last 20+ hours of harvesting I have only managed a single rare. You just had the luckiest harvesting streak since the game went live I think. <img src="/smilies/3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" /></DIV>

Shazzbott_Feldercarb
12-28-2004, 10:35 PM
So, getting 6 of the artisian book drops in 8 hours is good too?Its like the lotto, its a random chance.Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.Shazz

Kwoung
12-28-2004, 10:42 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Shazzbott_Feldercarb wrote:<BR>So, getting 6 of the artisian book drops in 8 hours is good too? <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Actually, that doesn't seem out of line with what I have seen, I have generally managed to get all or most of the 1-9 Art books before outleveling the areas in which they drop.. as long as I am killing the mobs that actually drop them. The rare harvests on the other hand... are *way* more random and rare. Most people I know have never got one, a couple people have gotten a single one and a rare few have gotten more than one. Zindi harvests as well and she has yet to ever see a rare harvest on live or Test.. so if I combine our harvest time that would be like 30-40 hours of harvesting for the return of a single Blackened Iron.</DIV>

Hukklebuk
12-29-2004, 12:44 AM
<DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Zinj wrote:<BR> <DIV>Only harvested 2 rares during beta</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>You must have been in the last phase of beta after they "adjusted" rare harvests then. I was able to harvest approximately 1 rare per hour in Commonlands during beta prior to that *if* I was the only person in the area and I felt that was a very reasonable rate. After the change it dropped to 1 rare per 4 solid hours of harvesting and to the best of my knowledge, was reduced even further after the game went live.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I have both live and Test characters with harvesting skills close to 100, in all that time I have managed to find a single rare harvest... <STRONG>IMHO that is way to low of a drop rate.</STRONG></DIV> <P> </P> <P> </P> <P>all my harvesting is well over 100 close to 140, I've only ever harvested a bronze piece for metal, but about 20 'rares' or more from gathering.  0 from wood and I don't even know if there are any rare fish....</P> <P>One one hand I hope they increase it but if they do only by a very very small fraction.  On the other, increasing the drops will have a long term effect on the game that we probably don't want.</P></DIV>

Lancealittle
12-29-2004, 01:32 AM
<DIV>My first time in Antonica I stopped to harvest a few things. I came back with a coral and I'm so glad I was not able to sell it to a vendor. I saw a bone harvesting node, but failed the harvesting attempt.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Since then, I've found another coral and a piece of silver. That's with 90 harvesting on one character and 70 on another. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I can live with an adept 3 spell every 15 levels for my characters. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV>