PDA

View Full Version : Hmm I never saw a problem with a memory leak.....

BringBe
12-18-2004, 05:07 AM
<DIV>Well I see that some of you have a problem  zoning multiple times in this game.  This suprises me as I thought this game had a lot better preformance than I was expecting.  I have a MSI Neo2 865PE with a P4 2.6 GHZ 800MHZ bus and 1 gig of HyperX Kingston Ram @ 2x512 with dual channel enabled.  My video card isn't even that good, I have a MSI GforceFX 5600 w/ 128 MB of RAM.  I have seen no problems at all and cruise through zones in about 10 secs.  I think that a lot of you might need  to upgrade your RAM to 1GB and be sure you have it in slots 1 and 3 to enable dual channel.</DIV>

Sebastien
12-18-2004, 05:37 AM
Well I don't believe the client has a memory leak proper. Rather it is something that I call memory laziness. It doesn't clear out much of the cache when you travel from zone to zone. This means that after a few zones, you have several hundred megs of textures that you don't need at the moment, taking all your RAM and causing you to hit the hard drive for virtual memory.You can leave the client running for days if you like, and don't believe it will crash (as it would if there were a real leak). However, I'm surprised that with 1 GB of RAM you are not seeing this same problem. What quality level of textures (for characters and for environment) do you have loaded? Setting both of these to medium can really help prolong good performance.

Oakraven Desa
12-18-2004, 05:57 AM
<DIV>Im almost convinced its one (or parts) of the Graphic files thats not being properly removed when its no longer in use since it seems to hit both the Ram and the vidio cards memory use.</DIV>

tryingtod
12-18-2004, 06:06 AM
<DIV>1. It is a memory leak, not poor handling of cached textures. You dont need to zone for it to occur, if you sit in your room for a few hours then go out and try to do something you will get the same effect. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>2. I have had it cause a crash once. Im sure it would have happened more, but I dont allow it to get that far. </DIV>