PDA

View Full Version : Food buffs information


Zal
12-17-2004, 05:26 AM
<DIV>This morning I was playing my rogue and since she is going to be my craftsman I decided to make some sunfish steaks and free up some bank space. While making them I noticed that they now have a Saitiation rating, a plain sunfish steak being high and a delectable sunfish steak being superior. There was also a time associated with each, the plain lasting 1:22:40 while delectable is 1:40:00. Just thought I say I like the rating and will continue experimenting with different foods and beverages. I'm assuming different ratings will effect either power or health regeneration we just have to figure out which is which. As soon as the server is back up I'll be getting to it and thanks again.</DIV>

Miral
12-17-2004, 05:30 AM
<DIV>food is health, drink is power... the different qualities is how much it regens per tick.</DIV>

Zal
12-17-2004, 05:44 AM
<DIV>Thanks for info, Miral. See you on Test.</DIV>

Vatec
12-17-2004, 08:39 AM
<DIV>Having the duration listed is a huge improvement, and knowing what level (and associated con color) is nice, but I think the Satiation rating leaves a lot to be desired. In my experience, it becomes annoying trying to remember if "superior" is superior to "high" and whether "extraordinary" is better than "superb" or "exquisite." I'd be MUCH happier with a simple number: how many points per tick, for example. My friend and I were just checking out the patch on Test and our first reaction, expressed simultaneously, was "Satiation: Low? What the *censored* is THAT supposed to mean?"</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Don't get me wrong, it's better than what we had before, but I really can't see any reason why we get numerical ratings for weapon damage, but not for food/drink restoration.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>*shrug*</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

spacie
12-17-2004, 08:00 PM
<DIV>Have you compared the player-made food and drink to that which Vendors sell?  More importantly, is there any difference with player-made stuff to the food and drink that the Wholesalers sell?  I'm curious if the coffee on the Wholesaler is any different from the coffee players make, since previously there was no difference at all, and both were listed as 'homemade'.</DIV>

xAlar
12-17-2004, 08:08 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> spacie8k wrote:<BR> <DIV>Have you compared the player-made food and drink to that which Vendors sell?  More importantly, is there any difference with player-made stuff to the food and drink that the Wholesalers sell?  I'm curious if the coffee on the Wholesaler is any different from the coffee players make, since previously there was no difference at all, and both were listed as 'homemade'.</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>Edible foods are no longer sold from the tradeskill vendors.  I was hoping to see Glacial Water disappear as well, as it serves only to provide competition to Provisioners by the EQ2 server, but city merchant for-sale lists did not receive the food exclusion and still sell food and drink.</P> <P> </P>

Azam
12-17-2004, 09:26 PM
<blockquote><hr>xAlaric wrote:<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>spacie8k wrote:<DIV>Have you compared the player-made food and drink to that which Vendors sell? More importantly, is there any difference with player-made stuff to the food and drink that the Wholesalers sell? I'm curious if the coffee on the Wholesaler is any different from the coffee players make, since previously there was no difference at all, and both were listed as 'homemade'.</DIV><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Edible foods are no longer sold from the tradeskill vendors. I was hoping to see Glacial Water disappear as well, as it serves only to provide competition to Provisioners by the EQ2 server, but city merchant for-sale lists did not receive the food exclusion and still sell food and drink.</P><P> </P><hr></blockquote>It has been stated before that player made food/drink of the same type is superior to vendor purchased. So I wouldn't really consider the vendors competition.<p>Message Edited by Azamar on <span class=date_text>12-17-2004</span> <span class=time_text>08:29 AM</span>

tektrad
12-17-2004, 09:58 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Azamar wrote:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> xAlaric wrote:<BR><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> spacie8k wrote:<BR> <DIV>Have you compared the player-made food and drink to that which Vendors sell? More importantly, is there any difference with player-made stuff to the food and drink that the Wholesalers sell? I'm curious if the coffee on the Wholesaler is any different from the coffee players make, since previously there was no difference at all, and both were listed as 'homemade'.</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>Edible foods are no longer sold from the tradeskill vendors. I was hoping to see Glacial Water disappear as well, as it serves only to provide competition to Provisioners by the EQ2 server, but city merchant for-sale lists did not receive the food exclusion and still sell food and drink.</P> <P></P><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR><BR>It has been stated before that player made food/drink of the same type is superior to vendor purchased. So I wouldn't really consider the vendors competition. <P>Message Edited by Azamar on <SPAN class=date_text>12-17-2004</SPAN> <SPAN class=time_text>08:29 AM</SPAN><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>If a player is in a hurry (or is just uneducated), they'll simply grab whatever is available from the vendors.  Getting an extra tick or two from player-made foods/drinks isn't really worth the travel to a broker, if you have a merchant selling the stuff right in the middle of Antonica. </P> <P>Of course, the other side of the coin is... players can make armor and weapons.  Does that mean no NPCs in the game should sell weapons and armor?  *playing Devil's Advocate here*</P>

Magic
12-17-2004, 10:09 PM
<DIV>I agree 100% that satiation should give a points (or percentage) per tick rating rather than what it tells us now.  Yes, it is better than before but could be better.  This is a test server so here is the place to make changes.</DIV>

xAlar
12-17-2004, 10:18 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Azamar wrote:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> xAlaric wrote:<BR><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> spacie8k wrote:<BR> <DIV>Have you compared the player-made food and drink to that which Vendors sell? More importantly, is there any difference with player-made stuff to the food and drink that the Wholesalers sell? I'm curious if the coffee on the Wholesaler is any different from the coffee players make, since previously there was no difference at all, and both were listed as 'homemade'.</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>Edible foods are no longer sold from the tradeskill vendors. I was hoping to see Glacial Water disappear as well, as it serves only to provide competition to Provisioners by the EQ2 server, but city merchant for-sale lists did not receive the food exclusion and still sell food and drink.</P> <P></P><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR><BR>It has been stated before that player made food/drink of the same type is superior to vendor purchased. So I wouldn't really consider the vendors competition. <P>Message Edited by Azamar on <SPAN class=date_text>12-17-2004</SPAN> <SPAN class=time_text>08:29 AM</SPAN><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>When Antonican Coffee was being sold, it was 100% identical to the Provisioner-made Antonican Coffee of the 3rd quality type.  Provisioner-made "Refreshing", the 4th and top quality type, lasted 15 minutes longer.  In all other respects they were totally identical - and even stacked with Provisioner-made.  Fortunately, this food is no longer being sold from tradeskill vendors.</P> <P>The Glacial water etc is competition because it serves only to provide players with drink that cannot be made by Provisioners at all.  It's not very good drink, but since the new descriptions don't actually tell the players what each drink actually does in numerical terms, the descriptions are for all practical purposes useless.</P> <P> </P>

Rie
12-17-2004, 10:26 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> xAlaric wrote:<BR><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Azamar wrote:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> xAlaric wrote:<BR><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> spacie8k wrote:<BR> <DIV>Have you compared the player-made food and drink to that which Vendors sell? More importantly, is there any difference with player-made stuff to the food and drink that the Wholesalers sell? I'm curious if the coffee on the Wholesaler is any different from the coffee players make, since previously there was no difference at all, and both were listed as 'homemade'.</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>Edible foods are no longer sold from the tradeskill vendors. I was hoping to see Glacial Water disappear as well, as it serves only to provide competition to Provisioners by the EQ2 server, but city merchant for-sale lists did not receive the food exclusion and still sell food and drink.</P> <P></P><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR><BR>It has been stated before that player made food/drink of the same type is superior to vendor purchased. So I wouldn't really consider the vendors competition. <P>Message Edited by Azamar on <SPAN class=date_text>12-17-2004</SPAN> <SPAN class=time_text>08:29 AM</SPAN><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>When Antonican Coffee was being sold, it was 100% identical to the Provisioner-made Antonican Coffee of the 3rd quality type.  Provisioner-made "Refreshing", the 4th and top quality type, lasted 15 minutes longer.  In all other respects they were totally identical - and even stacked with Provisioner-made.  Fortunately, this food is no longer being sold from tradeskill vendors.</P> <P>The Glacial water etc is competition because it serves only to provide players with drink that cannot be made by Provisioners at all.  It's not very good drink, but since the new descriptions don't actually tell the players what each drink actually does in numerical terms, the descriptions are for all practical purposes useless.</P> <P> </P><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>So their ability to see that the player made food has both longer duration and higher satiation does nothing to help with identifiying which is better? They can't put a solid number because it is different for different people. What do I mean? I mean if a level 5 person uses a tier 4 food, he doesn't get the same regen as a level 30 person because of his regen cap. Could they do like they do with armor and weapons? Of course, but do they need to? NO. Not everyone needs to have their hand held when making choices and 'testing' things to figure out how the game/items work.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Just my 2cp.</DIV><p>Message Edited by Rielz on <span class=date_text>12-17-2004</span> <span class=time_text>09:27 AM</span>

Vatec
12-28-2004, 10:12 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Rielz wrote:<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>So their ability to see that the player made food has both longer duration and higher satiation does nothing to help with identifiying which is better? They can't put a solid number because it is different for different people. What do I mean? I mean if a level 5 person uses a tier 4 food, he doesn't get the same regen as a level 30 person because of his regen cap. Could they do like they do with armor and weapons? Of course, but do they need to? NO. Not everyone needs to have their hand held when making choices and 'testing' things to figure out how the game/items work.</BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Just my 2cp.</DIV> <P>Message Edited by Rielz on <SPAN class=date_text>12-17-2004</SPAN> <SPAN class=time_text>09:27 AM</SPAN><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>Err, sure they can. They do it just fine for weapons and armor. For example, priests and fighters can both use two-handed hammers, but a 16 Warrior will do a lot more damage with an Apprentice Maul of the Celestial Watch than a 16 Cleric and this is reflected in the numbers that are displayed. Likewise the damage figures varies depending on level within a class. So yes, they CAN display values that are entirely dependent on the class and level of the character viewing them.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Note, the numbers are not necessarily a totally accurate indication of how much damage the weapon does in combat, since the con of the mob also is factored in, but at least it gives you RELATIVE values. With food and drink it's even easier, since con value of mobs is not a factor.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>*shrug*</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>My bet is that SOE is committed to providing "fuzzy" values for food and drink, so there really isn't much point in worrying about it. At least the Satiation Level only has four different possible values, so it's not TOO unwieldy, just annoying.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Let's hope they move on to fixing furniture and all the broken recipes soon.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Banditman
12-28-2004, 10:36 PM
<DIV>I've seen it said before that using a "word" to describe a "satiation" level is akin to putting words to the damage provided by a weapon.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>For instance, take the Apprentice Hammer of the Celestial Watch.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Instead of having its damage listed numerically as it is now, lets put some words on it instead.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>For a Warrior, he might get a hammer that cons yellow and does "Exemplary" damage, and a Cleric might see the same hammer con orange and do "Good" damage.  So, if I'm a Cleric do I use the hammer?  How about as a Warrior . . . I've got a Longsword here that also does "Exemplary" damage . . . which is the superior weapon?</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>It just doesn't make any sense to impose artificial terms upon food items when the numbers are easier to do and far more descriptive.</DIV><p>Message Edited by Banditman on <span class=date_text>12-28-2004</span> <span class=time_text>09:37 AM</span>

Shazzbott_Feldercarb
12-28-2004, 10:42 PM
I have to agree that the wording for the effect of food/drink, while not clear, is still a step in the right direction. There needs to be some more information that lets me know the difference between that tier 4 food and the tier 2 food.You know, something like "Your sense of taste is not refined enough to gain all the benefits of this food" I mean that is what my mind yells at me everytime I eat caviar. <img src="/smilies/69934afc394145350659cd7add244ca9.gif" border="0" alt="SMILEY" />Shazz

Hukklebuk
12-29-2004, 12:38 AM
<DIV>you eat caviar?   /shiver</DIV>

Skedadd
12-29-2004, 02:29 AM
<DIV>I agree that a number, expressed as a percentage or flat regen per tic, is FAR superior to a text description.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Not every person wants to spend time researching what the different terms mean.  But everyone understands a number and how much or little that number will benefit them.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I would not buy a piece of armor if the only description I had available was "well, it has some agility, but we're not going to tell you how much".  I'm not sure why anyone would be motivated to buy food under the system currently active in test.</DIV>

Bevyn
12-30-2004, 03:13 AM
I'd say the issue wouldn't be there if they offered a simple tree that showed the progression for all these descriptions:We all understand the generic 5-step matrix:very badbadaveragegoodvery goodWe only need the quality matrix for equal comparison