PDA

View Full Version : Troubador's 1H - it's ok for me

Rikini
12-14-2004, 12:30 AM
<DIV>I am a Ratonga who has gone to Qeynos, and have passed my Troubador tasks. I, too, received the 1H Sword, Arrel's Sword of Song. I had used dual-wield daggers and rapiers all the time up to now, just like everyone else. But, I started using the Sword/Shield combo Saturday and used it all weekend and I must say, I'm actually pleased with it.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>We are not Predators and thier ilk. While we are Scouts, and therefor, by definition damage dealers, and not tanks, we are not primarily MELEE damage dealers. This gets us back to the Jack-of-all-trades, masters-of-none issue.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I find that since the nerf of the Songster's Luck, I don't bother with it anymore at all. Instead I keep up Pathfinding, Bria's Stirring Ballad, Rousing Tune, Performer's Talent and Merciless Melody at all times. I should note that I group with friends who are now guildmates 90% of the time, and they recognize my effect in the group, not only the effects which are easily seen, such as the raised agility, etc, but also the 'hidden' effects, like haste, regen, etc.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>As far as damage goes, it doesn't really matter whether a Troubador used dual-wield weapons or 1h sword and shield, because ALL of the melee damage I do in any given combat session combined, does not compare at all to the effects of our two songs, Piercing Shriek and Alin's Keening Lamentation. Period.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Using 2 daggers, I was averaging 3 points per hit, twice per round, and with the sword I'm averaging 8 points per hit, once per round. I admit I wasn't using the best damage producing dw weapons out there, because I was more interested in the stats given on the ones I had.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>But when PS gives 118 points on my target, followed up by Alin's 50+ points to ALL the mobs in the encounter, I no longer care what kind of weapon's I'm using.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Two rapiers give me a good chance to parry, but then one sword parries just fine, and the shield is very much appreciated when PS causes my target to turn on me, and Alin's causes EVERY mob to turn on me, until aggro can be restored to the tank. (Note, I know how to play my Bard, and I know how to manage aggro, but sometimes (a lot of time) I cannot hold off using my main damage dealing songs, and I KNOW the mobs will turn me into a tank) I have found over the course of the last two days that I am surviving longer, with more health, with the sword/shield combo.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>So, I guess I'm saying, that I don't mind having received the Arrell's Sword as my Troubador prize. Now, I'm looking forward to working on my 20+ armor quests.</DIV>

Xran
12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
Well, not really. The 1H Trou's Sword reward don't really matter because you get better dual wield anyways later.But for higher overall dmg, dual wield beats 1hd+shield anyday. Especially after I switchedto a really fast dual wield (1.2 + 1.3 delay), the numbers really start flying. 1hd's speedand damage doesn't really compare anymore.While Piercing Shriek and Alin's Keening Lamentation has nice dmg, the cast timer and recast timeris too slow. You can fire off more melee specials under that time. Also, 1hd+shield is not too good cos you probably won't get hit at all in a group when there's a tank. So you are doing less dmg to the mob overall. Aria's Excitement is a good spell, but the proc seems pretty rare. Not sure if it is worth casting.

Raol
12-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Try soloing. You'll see the difference between 1hs and dual wields right away.<p>Message Edited by Raolin on <span class=date_text>12-13-2004</span> <span class=time_text>11:50 AM</span>

Monomo
12-14-2004, 09:13 AM
<DIV>Just FYI Rikini...I can hit with melee arts attacks for 240 points of dmg..Thats more than the Magic Dmg I can deal right now..but I have also 3 other melee attacks that can hit consitently for 90 dmg...on top of that you add the dmg I deal with normal auto attack dmg. So if you think melee dmg is not important...experience will teach you better. We are a DPS class dont forget that...we might not have the big numbers Rangers and Assasins get..but we can and SHOULD deal massive dmag over time...so your dps is really important..I dont know if you know it but If well equiped you should be outdamaging fighters regardless of the their class. It has been proven time and time again 2 DW weapons deal more dps than a single one (if they are all of same quality). If you are soloing this will help you..you should see the diference, test it yourself..but on a group more AC will not help you cause the tank should be able to hold aggro, therefore you should go with the highest dps option. Anyway is a free world...if you love your shield..enjoy it...but because you like it...dont fool yourself thinking its a better option.</DIV>

Bregan D'aert
12-14-2004, 07:47 PM
<DIV>I think what we have to realize here is that the majority of our dps comes from our combat arts/spells.  Here's a typical fight for me:</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Frontload with stealth and Luckblade - approx 200pts of damage</DIV> <DIV>Haste myself with Taffo's Brilliant Blade - approx 150pts of damage</DIV> <DIV>Ringing Blow HO (Dirty Tricks and Sparkling Blade combo) HO - approx 180pts of damage</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I'm a level 25 troubadour and I've become fairly <STRONG>adept</STRONG> (no pun intended) at sneaking in solo HOs during group combat.  After my Luckblade opening I usually cycle through Taffo's Brilliant Blade and the Ringing Blow HO.  Rinse.  Repeat.  I will substitue Sparkling Blade with Walt's Singing Blade (power drain) when necessary or will use Piercing Shriek if I can't flip from the Swindler's Luck HO.  Very little of my dps comes from auto-attacking with my Steel Stiletto or Pristine Carbonite Saber.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>The only exception is when I'm using Aria of Excitement (mental damage weapon proc).  The extra damage gained with this buff is further magnified with dual wield weapons - the faster and more often you hit, the more chances you have for a weapon proc (approx 50pts of damage).  However, I only play this buff when I'm in a melee heavy group, otherwise I save a conc point for emergencies (i.e. playing Arcane Chorus to pull a mob off a healer/caster).</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I personally don't think it makes that <STRONG>big</STRONG> of a difference whether you decide to go 1h or dual wield.  As a troubadour, we're more of a utility class and our forte is being able to adapt to changes in combat; we shouldn't be totally DPS focused.  I only use dual wield weapons because it looks much spiffier.:smileywink:</DIV>

Bregan D'aert
12-14-2004, 07:48 PM
<DIV>double post</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>/apologize</DIV><p>Message Edited by Bregan D'aerthe on <span class=date_text>12-14-2004</span> <span class=time_text>06:52 AM</span>

FireDragon
12-18-2004, 10:59 AM
The mere presence of a bard in a group will also raise the entire groups DPS, that cant be forgotten.

Rikini
12-18-2004, 11:48 AM
<DIV>Yeth, but everyone knoweth that the Thwthbucklerth are the REAL wapperth-on-the-headerth. :smileyhappy:</DIV>

Galahan
12-18-2004, 12:25 PM
<DIV>the main argument between teh Dirger weapon and Troubador's weapon is the Damage output of each..</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>but that argument is also the weak link.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Dirgers are sapose to deal damage... thats their "professin"</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Troubador's are sapose to help the "Group" more that actualy deal damage.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>if you wanted to be a damage dealing machine you shoulda chose to be a dirger instead of a Troubador.  simple as that ^^;</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>no, Troubador's dont do alot of damage with a sword+shield.   But out "group" spells help the OTHERS do more damag than they  normaly would withough us.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>A Dirger does alot of damage by himself, but he dosnt help All others in the group also put up the same "extra" damage. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Thats teh differance between us, We help others increase the total damage done, while a dirger only helps himself basicaly.</DIV>

Arcturo
12-18-2004, 06:19 PM
<DIV>The comparison in DPS between dual wield and 1 Handers is not that significant, we make up for that in the DPS we add to the group while singing our most effective songs. Our most effective songs all add large amounts of hate. We are not tanks and can not handle the beating for long so if 1 hander and shield keeps us alive through a combat then we will do alot more incidental DPS then if we are lie face down saying "ouch ouch [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] that hurt". Besides the fact that our secodary attribute Int, comes on 1 handers and shields it does not however come on Dual weild weapons coincidence?? </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I have no cares how you wish to play your Troubador, but I feel that sword and board gives me the best chance of survival and greatest oppourtunity to do my job, primary role group buffs, secondary DPS. Other classes have better single target buffs then we do take the enchanter for instance Breeze is better then our power recovery but single target. Alacrity is better then our haste but also single target. You won't find a Chanter willing to waste all his power and time trying to keep those up on the entire group. With a troubador in group they don't have too. Why do you think chanter spells are single target while our are group another coincidence, I don't think so.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>You can try to play as a DPS class and be ok, but you won't ever keep up with the rest of the scouts. Or you can grasp your calling and be the best group buffer that you can be and put out decent DPS. The group may not see the huge numbers but when you leave they will know it, I have many groups that can testify to my additions. Once they get over the fact that I don't Dual wield, which happens on the first bad pull from to far or when a critical buff goes down at the begining of combat and I am able to survive long enough for the tank to regain aggro.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>But play the class as you please thats the best part of the game.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Darkmane 32nd Troubador of Permafrost</DIV> <DIV>Weakened Ghoulbane in one hand and shield in other</DIV>

Archmagus
12-19-2004, 10:44 AM
<DIV>there's isn't that big of a difference between 1h/shield and dw.  only when auto attacking basically and not using abilities. and your dps for crying out loud.  when should you not be using abilities?  If yer just auto attacking everything in groups yer awfully lazy.</DIV>