PDA

View Full Version : Who is, Sullon Zek

Kaith
04-04-2005, 09:28 PM
<DIV>This question has bothered the be-gezus out of me since well into EverQuest 1(Live). Theres a Server named Sullon Zek, yet the name has NEVER been mentioned...EVER!!! If anyone has found any lore on this mysterious diety post it here!</DIV>

BLOODka
04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
<P>Since Vallon and Tallon were the sons of Rallos, I'd assume Sullon is part of the family.</P> <P> </P> <P>I seem to remember when the Sullon Zek server opened in EQ1 they gave lore on who he was but I am not quite certain. You can always go to <A href="http://www.everquest.com" target=_blank>www.everquest.com</A> and look under the lore and history behind the gods.</P>

Thax
04-04-2005, 10:11 PM
<DIV>I can't remember where I read it...but if I remember right Sullon Zek was a barbarian that was raised to demi-godhood by Rallos Zek.</DIV>

Cusashorn
04-04-2005, 10:13 PM
<DIV>Sullon Zek is the God of Vengeance, </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Let the record stand though, that Sony does not recognize him as an official diety of the Norrathian Pantheon. There is only *ONE* very minor statement that not even I can find in various news archives over numerous sites that confirms his identity.</DIV><p>Message Edited by Cusashorn on <span class=date_text>04-04-2005</span> <span class=time_text>01:43 PM</span>

Renita_Serafim
04-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Sullon Zek "The Vengeful" is a barbarian elevated to demigodhood by Rallos Zek. Sullon Zek is the Goddess of Rage.

Cusashorn
04-04-2005, 11:35 PM
<DIV>Where was this stated?</DIV>

Renita_Serafim
04-04-2005, 11:37 PM
<DIV>The EQ 1 Pen & Paper RPG GM's Handbook.</DIV>

Cusashorn
04-04-2005, 11:47 PM
<DIV>Oh, right. Those books that claim to be official lore but are completely ignored by the video games themselves, which is the only thing that matters.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Oh well whatever. Either way, the Sullon Zek server doesn't exist anymore anyway. :/</DIV>

hahn_ba
04-05-2005, 05:36 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Cusashorn wrote:<BR> <DIV>Oh, right. Those books that claim to be official lore but are completely ignored by the video games themselves, which is the only thing that matters.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Oh well whatever. Either way, the Sullon Zek server doesn't exist anymore anyway. :/</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>So ignored that there were quests hints started in the RPG book that no one had found in game yet. Clearly there's evidence that these books are more than just fluff and fanfic.

Jadr
04-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Ok, thats Sullon sorted, so who is Derris Zek then???

Cusashorn
04-06-2005, 07:09 PM
<DIV>Derris Zek? He's Rallos Zek's inbred redneck cousin.</DIV>

BLOODka
04-06-2005, 09:13 PM
No, that's Cletus Joel Zek....

Cusashorn
04-07-2005, 04:44 AM
<DIV>Ok then. Derris Zek must be Rallos Zek's NASCAR racing cousin.</DIV>

Jadr
04-07-2005, 01:24 PM
<P>Why is it I suspect your answer is not 100% offical lore? ;o)</P> <P>Seriously, who is this guy?</P>

Cusashorn
04-07-2005, 10:09 PM
<DIV>There is no Derris Zek. never has been. If those EQ Pen and Paper books say otherwise, then fine. Believe that. But there isn't anyone of that name in Everquest.</DIV>

BLOODka
04-08-2005, 05:57 AM
Only Zeks I've even heard of are Rallos, Tallon, Vallon, and Sullon and I been playin EQ for 5+ years.....and know every inch of the old game lore.

Jaargen
05-06-2005, 08:08 PM
You forgot Ralfron Zek, the demi-god of Despair.  Killing one of the Kobalds in the warrens of EQ tells the story of him.  Basically Brell created the Kobalds but he realized he was drawing too much attention to himself from Rallos and didn't want to anger him so he abandoned the Kobalds.  During a war, Rallos visited the Kobalds in the warrens area while the other gods were distracted.  He found an old Kobald shaman ,named Ralfron, that was in great despair after having been abandoned by Brell for so long (stipping him of most of his shaman power).  He took Ralfron and stripped out his spirit and replaced it with a piece of himself and created Ralfron Zek the demi-god of despair.

wen23
05-07-2005, 12:03 AM
The Ascension of Rolfron ZekSource: "Dusty Kobold Scroll" In game item from EQ1As Rallos walked among us he gazed into our souls, seeking one with the most rage, the strongest will, and the most disciplined mind. Rallos found what he sought within an elderly shaman whose years of powerlessness had fed his despair and resentment of Brell and the short ones. His heart had turned black and his spirit was at the brink of decaying to oblivion. Rallos swept the elderly shaman into his plane and yanked the remnants of the shamans spirit from his body, replacing it with a bit of The Warlords own life. Rallos then forged the despair ridden soul into a sword for his new demi-god, Rolfron Zek, the Lord of Despair.

Jadr
05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
<span><blockquote><hr>Cusashorn wrote:<div>There is no Derris Zek. never has been. If those EQ Pen and Paper books say otherwise, then fine. Believe that. But there isn't anyone of that name in Everquest.</div><hr></blockquote>There ciratinly is in the EQ2 computer game though, which is the topic at hand.</span><div></div>

Cusashorn
05-09-2005, 09:35 AM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Jadrax wrote:<BR><SPAN><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Cusashorn wrote:<BR> <DIV>There is no Derris Zek. never has been. If those EQ Pen and Paper books say otherwise, then fine. Believe that. But there isn't anyone of that name in Everquest.</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE>There ciratinly is in the EQ2 computer game though, which is the topic at hand.<BR></SPAN> <BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>No, because the gods have gone silent and its any god actually showing themselves would totally screw over the very lore behind the premise of the game.</DIV>

Jadr
05-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Just becaouse there sielnt dosent mean there not in game, theres plenty of in game lore that referes to gods. Some of that points to Derris Zek, i want to know who he is. Why you'r on some weird crusade to say he dosen't exist is beyond me. <div></div>

Cusashorn
05-09-2005, 06:25 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Jadrax wrote:<BR>Just becaouse there sielnt dosent mean there not in game, theres plenty of in game lore that referes to gods. Some of that points to Derris Zek, i want to know who he is.<BR><BR>Why you'r on some weird crusade to say he dosen't exist is beyond me.<BR> <BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>except that there isn't and he doesn't.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I haven't seen any in-game lore referring to any such god, and I have nearly 100 books in my home, about 10 of which are from Zek.</DIV>

Jadr
05-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Oh well i dident realsie you where offical keeper of all knowledge. /all bow. Except most people who actually play might have noticed that Zek has groups of orcs dedicated to Vallon Zek, Tallon Zek, Sullon Zek and Derris Zek. <div></div>

Cusashorn
05-10-2005, 10:21 AM
<DIV>Oh and I suppose there's a Gorynn Zek and a Drunder Zek too right?</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Think again.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>The Derris, Gorynn, and Drunder orcs were added in with those progressive quests they added in about a month ago.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Do you know why they named them as so?</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Because they ran out of gods of war to name them after, so they named one of them Drunder after the Fortress of Zek in the Plane of War, and they completely made up the other two.</DIV>

Jadr
05-10-2005, 09:32 PM
<span><blockquote><hr>Cusashorn wrote:<div>Oh and I suppose there's a Gorynn Zek and a Drunder Zek too right?</div> <div> </div> <div> </div> <div>Think again.</div> <div> </div> <div> </div> <div>The Derris, Gorynn, and Drunder orcs were added in with those progressive quests they added in about a month ago.</div> <div> </div> <div> </div> <div>Do you know why they named them as so?</div> <div> </div> <div> </div> <div>Because they ran out of gods of war to name them after, so they named one of them Drunder after the Fortress of Zek in the Plane of War, and they completely made up the other two.</div><hr></blockquote>Nope, first reference the Hail to the Heros quest added way before the progressive quests, any other misinformation you feel like spreading oh offical keeper of all lore? Btw, there the game makers, when</span><span> they "completely" make something up, then its part of lore. </span><div></div>

Cusashorn
05-11-2005, 06:20 AM
<P align=left><SPAN>Wow. You'll do anything to prove yourself right won't ya?</SPAN></P> <P align=left><SPAN></SPAN> </P> <P align=left><SPAN>Granted you do have a point with that last message, but I haven't heard of any Derris ZEK in the game yet. The Derris, Yes. The Zek. No.</SPAN></P> <P align=left><SPAN></SPAN> </P> <P align=left><SPAN>No "Zek" = No god.</SPAN></P>

Jadr
05-11-2005, 11:03 AM
<span><blockquote><hr>Cusashorn wrote:<p align="left"><span>Granted you do have a point with that last message, but I haven't heard of any Derris ZEK in the game yet. The Derris, Yes. The Zek. No.</span></p> <hr></blockquote>You know, you could have just posted that as your first reply and saved a lot of time.</span><div></div>

Vyrance
05-11-2005, 09:11 PM
there are tombstones you can pick up in zek, getting 5 of each or so finishes a quest.  the tombstones are for vallon, tallon, sullon, and derris heroes.

Taldor
05-11-2005, 10:15 PM
<P>Has anyone considered that in the 500 years since the gods "left" and the orcs built Zek over the [Removed for Content] remains of Jaggedpine Forest, that perhaps they made up new gods? Look at world history and how many cults and religions spring up all the time, every year even. Now go back through the centuries and consider how many religious faction splits have happened. Now think way way back to the early and mid ADs, medieval ages lets say, so the world is as similar to EQ as it can be. People believe in magic, and god/gods, and there are a plethora of varried individual religions factions and political powers. In that period of human history look at the world in general, how many faiths were there, even if they were the same faith? Example, christianity. How many varriations of christianity are there? (I can name 8 off the top of my head) all have slightly different perspectives and practisises and focuses, but ultimately answer to the same god. Now lets look at religions in general. Chrisianity is a derrivative of Judaism, and in turn other religions have spung from Christianity. Also consider how Christianity in general adapted and evolved as it absorbed the various paganist people across Europe. There are countless examples of paganism influence in many many European churches and cathedrals. Now one final point of world religion is the name of God. In Chrisianity it is God, in Judaism it is God as well as a few other names, and in later religions the name is changed again.</P> <P>Now with modern religion in mind, lets go to the world of EQ and the Orcish empire of Zek. The Orcs of EQ are traditionally a very tribal people with a largly shamanistic religion dedicated to the great god Rallos Zek. There is no question in anyone's mind that to the orcs, Rallos Zek is God. He is the highest icon of worship in the pantheon. But now lets look at the history of the Orcs. In EQOA there was a large orc empire in the desert of Ro, the Deathfist clan. Sometime in the 500 years that passed from then to EQ1 the empire fell and the orcs became mostly seperate tribes. The most organized of the orc clans in EQ1 was arguably the orcs of Crushbone lead by Emporer Crush, but this is very possibly, even likely, in part due to the Tier'Dal influence (the Dark Elves were manipulating and organizing the orcs in order to lay constant attack to Kelethin and keep the Elves busy remember).</P> <P>Now in the 500 years between EQ1 and EQ2 there was the rise of the second Rallosian army. The orc tribes were gathered and used as grunts in the wars. A large portion of them were caught in the rending and stranded in the remains of Jaggedpine. These lost orcs went on to create Zek. Although Zek is a unified empire and very advanced by orc standards, keep in mind that the founders were from many different clans. The orcs, being a proud and arrogant race like all Rallos' creations, were unlikely to forget their old blood ties to their clans. Seperate clans likely had slightly seperate forms of worship, beliefs, and values. Yes they all rallied under a unified banner, but they were not and are not a single people.</P> <P>Take a look at modern EQ2 orc culture in Zek, specifically the religion(s). There are orc shamans, a staple of orc faith since the earliest years. And there are orc clerics, which although present in many clans, were never as popular a caste as now. There are also all the Zeks that the orcs are named after. There is obvious seperation beween the orcs in Zek by the particular descendant of Zek they follow. in one part of Zek there are the orcs who follow Sullon, in another are the Derris orcs, and so on and so on. Some of these dieties may never have appeared in EQ1, or if they did they were not descendants of Rallos Zek, and thus not really Zeks. Derris was elivated to demi-god status by Rallos as was stated, same as Rolfon, but does this make them true Zeks? No I don't think so, Zek seems to me to be the name of a full god, or in this case family of God. The direct decendants of Zek. However remember that the voice of the Gods has not been heard for nearly 500 years now, and so through religion and folk tales, is it unreasonable to think that perhaps these secondary Zeks were elevated to full god status in the eyes of their faithful followers?</P> <P>One clan of orcs may value the power of dispair, another clan thinks that rage is the most respectable trait. They focus their faith on whatever particular 'Zek' fits their values. Does this mean that their god is really a Zek? No. Does this mean that their God even exists? No. These mystery Zeks are very possibly a creation of the culture; a by-product of many varried but ultimately related religions comming together.</P>

Elder Elf
05-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Bravo!! /applaud

Taldor
05-19-2005, 11:54 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Elder Elf wrote:<BR>Bravo!! /applaud <BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Nice to know I have fans :smileywink:

DruVir
06-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm getting mighty annoyed with everybody saying how, "Oh! The pen and paper EQ? Yeah. Whatever." or something to that effect. Sony has created both. Hell, let me throw in EQ: OA while we're doing this. When it comes to lore, you have to understanding that it's just that .. lore. It isn't fact. You can't go by what only the game says; you can't go by what only pen and paper says. Sure, there are going to be some things that contradict. Sure, there are going to be some things that don't mesh perfectly like puzzle pieces. It's history. Most of our history doesn't mesh all too well. Others claim that it shouldn't be followed since it was created after EQ Live, and we should stick to the one that came first. If that's the case, then you can forget all EQ2 lore, because you know what? Pen and paper was released before it. Just because the pen and paper version differs a little, it rounds out most of the lore of places, people, and items. Don't put it down because it may or may not add a little twist, or because it might knock down a bit of lore you're incorperated into everything else. As for Taldor's post .. bravo. After all, think of Caesar and other Roman emperors of our time, who believed that once you died you rose to god-hood. Derris could have been a great Orc emperor, who was thought of as a god, and with years passing, took on the persona of one. <div></div>

Taldor
06-07-2005, 11:56 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <P></P> <HR> DruVirus wrote:<BR>I'm getting mighty annoyed with everybody saying how, "Oh! The pen and paper EQ? Yeah. Whatever." or something to that effect. Sony has created both. Hell, let me throw in EQ: OA while we're doing this. When it comes to lore, you have to understanding that it's just that .. lore. It isn't fact.<BR><BR>You can't go by what only the game says; you can't go by what only pen and paper says. Sure, there are going to be some things that contradict. Sure, there are going to be some things that don't mesh perfectly like puzzle pieces. It's history. Most of our history doesn't mesh all too well.<BR><BR>Others claim that it shouldn't be followed since it was created after EQ Live, and we should stick to the one that came first. If that's the case, then you can forget all EQ2 lore, because you know what? Pen and paper was released before it.<BR><BR>Just because the pen and paper version differs a little, it rounds out most of the lore of places, people, and items. Don't put it down because it may or may not add a little twist, or because it might knock down a bit of lore you're incorperated into everything else.<BR><BR> <HR> <P> </P> <P>/agree</P> <P>Most of the lore, if you work at it long enough can be sort of pieced together into a coherent whole. I genereally try to incorperate EQOA EQ1 and EQ2 when I'm thinking about game lore. I don't incorperate the books because I haven't read them (nor had a chance to buy them) yet. Once I do read them my opinions may change. No one in infallable, especially history writers. "History is written by the winners" is an old saying, and true, and on top of that it can and does reflect public opinions.</P> <P>20 years ago, we KNEW that dinosaurs were cold blooded reptiles, today we know that is very possibly wrong.</P> <P>250 years ago we KNEW that god created man the world and all things in it, today we know about evolution.</P> <P> </P> <P>History is not an absolute, and neither is lore. Lets look at the definition of "lore" a moment.</P> <P>Lore: 1. Accumulated facts, traditions, or beliefs about a particular subject.</P> <P>"tradions or beliefs" its a big tip. Whatever the lore in EQ might have been at release, its not the same as now. Some might be the same but other parts have changed. I don't think it's right to completly ignore parts or all of the lore presented by one source because it contradicts a previous source. IMO the best course of action is to take a look at all that you can and try to work out the best possible answer with respect to all sources.</P> <P>Remember that in the world, may it be Earth or Norrath, there is no divine right and wrong. In a world with questionable history there can be no single ultimate be all end all source of lore. In the end, lore is only what we make of it.</P></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tairbhe9
06-08-2005, 03:44 AM
I've about had it with heretics preaching the unholy faith of the PnP and OA.  Liees!  I tell you!  Lies spread by Innoruuk and his followers to mislead the faithful!  The word of Norrath is contained entirely within the original release of EQ1 and only slightly amended by the expansion volumes.  Repent your evil PnP and OA ways!  Rejoin us in the pure light of the doctrine according to Sony!

Taldor
06-08-2005, 03:49 AM
<P>[Removed for Content]</P> <P>I knew a reply like that was comming eventually...</P> <P>BTW my main character is Agnostic, Innoruuk has nothing to do with me :smileytongue:</P>