PDA

View Full Version : Materials of Everquest

Quas
02-26-2005, 04:06 PM
I've herd of some various types of metals & minerals in Norrath within EQ2 and elsewhere, but I'm not sure what they actually are:Velium: Precious metal mined in Zek & EL; used with T4 Jewelry (and in EQ1 from what I heard). So what is it, Norrath's version of mythril?Rubicite: I've heard of rare heavy armor made of this, and it was mentioned once by a quest NPC. It's not a mined resource, so where'd it come from?Cazicite: I thought I heard of some type of armor made of this. Is it related to rubicite?Acrylla: (if that's how it's spelled) Is it from Luclin or another area?Ruthenium/Rhodium: T4 & T5 rare precious metal respectively. Did they just make this up?

JayemJa
02-26-2005, 04:12 PM
A cazicite is an evil erudite who follows Cazic Thule. Think Paineel.Velium cant be mythril, since velium is a soft metal used for jewelry whereas mythril is typically very tough. The metal at that tier (tier 4) is feyiron which is basically magical iron, so I suppose that is sort of like mythril.Ruthenium and rhodium are real life precious metals in the same group in the periodic table as platinum. (Palladium is also there)<p>Message Edited by JayemJale on <span class=date_text>02-26-2005</span> <span class=time_text>11:15 AM</span>

Kamimura
02-26-2005, 09:27 PM
<DIV>Velium was a metal from Velious that was used for making jewelry, and there were weapons made from it (swords, spears, brawl sticks, daggers, bows, etc) as well as shields and armor. The weapons made from it were white or almost see through.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Acrylia was a metal from Luclin. Also used in armor, and weapons, as well as other things. The Vah Shir used it a lot, as well as the others on Luclin.</DIV>

Bur
02-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Velium isn't metal at all. It's some form of extremely hard ice if I recall.

Maguu
02-27-2005, 02:50 PM
<DIV>IN Everquest 1 there were planar metals for almsot all planes:</DIV> <DIV>Valorium</DIV> <DIV>Wind Metal</DIV> <DIV>Molten Iron</DIV> <DIV>etc...</DIV> <DIV>In planar smithign your tempers required 3 components 1 rare, 1 common, and 1 made by *grinding* a quantity of a 3rd compnent together to make a powder(all the parts were drops).. Sounds confusing? it was!. It was also expensive and generally not worth it for what you would get.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Then there was the *earthly* metals, some of which were very important IE Velium and Acrylia, also Steel. </DIV> <DIV>Silver, Electrum, Gold, and Platinum were vendor purchased typically. all were used in jewelcraft and to varying degrees in smithing.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Then there were cultural metals for each race they used for their unique armor: </DIV> <DIV>Adamantite for the Dark Elves</DIV> <DIV>Mithril for the wood elves and High Elves (Wood elves used it in their tailoring) </DIV> <DIV>Brellium for the Dwarves</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>What made it annoying was the difficulty of aquiring parts for the tempers in racial smithing; each race had a unique temper of dropped parts and sometimes foraged parts along with a vendor purchased part.  </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Velium is a metal, most definately.  Legend was that it was the frozen breath of Veeshan after she marked Norrath (the marks are visible in Velious, in EQ1) but I dout it's suppoed to be true.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Acrylia is also a metal, my impression from what I heard was that it was slightly luminescent, that is it produces light.  I suspect, although it's never said, that it is slightly toxic or radioactive but not extremely so. only real evidence is the rather mutated nature of the Everquest 1 "Grimlings" and the pond in Antonica which is so poisonous. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>As a smith in EQ1 my impression was velium is very hard (nearly brittle) and acrylia is more malleable, like gold.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Cazicite was a metal that was hard to find, only in the temple of cazic thule, I think it was touched by fear and was considered a diametric opposite to valorium, metal representative of Mithaniel Marr.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Ruthenium is a real metal, kind of brittle I think, but fairly dense (#44 on periodic table) for your typical metals IE iron, copper, lead, tin, etc.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Rubicite was not a smithable ore, some drops was made out of it and thats that. If I remember correctly, it was only found naer or in Plane of Fear, Temple of Cazic Thule, and Feerrot.</DIV><p>Message Edited by Maguu on <span class=date_text>02-27-2005</span> <span class=time_text>01:59 AM</span>

JayemJa
02-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Velium is not a metalhttp://www.rpgexpert.com/3859.htmlMost importantly, under 'Cities of Velious'"Icewall Keep is made entirely of Velium, the dense, forgable ice from which Velious takes its name."Cazicite is BOTH a sub-race of the Erudites and a metal.

Daeanor
02-27-2005, 11:25 PM
<blockquote><hr>Burem wrote:Velium isn't metal at all. It's some form of extremely hard ice if I recall.<hr></blockquote>That is correct. It's a magical ice that has the properties of a metal. It was introduced in the Velious Expansion fo EQ1 - Velious is the name of the continent discovered, and Velium was produced by dwarves who lived there after being stranded in the past. The natives of the continent were the highest level non-planar beings in the game at the time, mostly varieties of giants and dragons. Dwarves developed Velium to use in thier war against the giants who tried to drive them out, and nearly succeeded.

Quas
02-27-2005, 11:50 PM
So.....how did it end up in the Enchanted Lands & Zek?

Maguu
03-01-2005, 01:28 AM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> JayemJale wrote:<BR>Velium is not a metal<BR><BR>http://www.rpgexpert.com/3859.html<BR><BR>Most importantly, under 'Cities of Velious'<BR><BR>"Icewall Keep is made entirely of Velium, the dense, forgable ice from which Velious takes its name."<BR><BR>Cazicite is BOTH a sub-race of the Erudites and a metal.<BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>Actually, the definition of a Cazicite is a <U>worshipper</U> of Cazic Thule.</P> <P>This means that the Iksar also are (were) Cazicites. The distinction being that the erudites were made by Erollisi and Mithaniel Marr, but the Iksar were actualyl creatures made by Cazic Thule.</P> <P>As for the ice thing, it doesn't realyl make sense, although I guess it's a fantansy game, but I doon't think you can compress ice very much without it shattering, unless its' not frozen water, but something else.</P><p>Message Edited by Maguu on <span class=date_text>02-28-2005</span> <span class=time_text>12:30 PM</span>

TheWays
03-01-2005, 03:10 PM
<DIV>Think of velium as a magical ice so hard and dense that it can never thaw.  I think the fact that it shows up on Zek and EL is testament to the fact that Velious infact did thaw out and chunks of velium washed out to see to eventually wind up on foreign soils.</DIV>

JayemJa
03-06-2005, 08:12 PM
<blockquote><hr>Maguu wrote:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE><HR>JayemJale wrote:<BR>Velium is not a metal<BR><BR>http://www.rpgexpert.com/3859.html<BR><BR>Most importantly, under 'Cities of Velious'<BR><BR>"Icewall Keep is made entirely of Velium, the dense, forgable ice from which Velious takes its name."<BR><BR>Cazicite is BOTH a sub-race of the Erudites and a metal.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><P>Actually, the definition of a Cazicite is a <U>worshipper</U> of Cazic Thule.</P><P>This means that the Iksar also are (were) Cazicites. The distinction being that the erudites were made by Erollisi and Mithaniel Marr, but the Iksar were actualyl creatures made by Cazic Thule.</P><P>As for the ice thing, it doesn't realyl make sense, although I guess it's a fantansy game, but I doon't think you can compress ice very much without it shattering, unless its' not frozen water, but something else.</P><p>Message Edited by Maguu on <span class=date_text>02-28-2005</span> <span class=time_text>12:30 PM</span><hr></blockquote>I am a Cazicite in game.Velium IS a type of ice which has the properties of metal. If you want to be pedantic think of it as enchanted ice.Cazicite IS a metal.A Cazicite IS a follower of Cazic ThuleThe Cazicites ARE a race of evil Erudites who shunned ERUD for CAZIC Thule. They lived in Paineel.That is all from EQLive. The Erudites were not made by Erollisi and Mithaniel Marr, they formed themselves from Men.

Maguu
03-07-2005, 01:23 AM
<DIV>I played EQ1 for years.  I know Cazicite is a metal. Some erudites worshipped Cazic, in Paineel, but it's a matter of semantics, really, your putting the worship on a racial level, when it was not racial. In short, the definition of a Cazicite, besides the metal,  is a person who <U>worships</U> Cazic Thule, this bears no relation to who created them or their family or racial origins.  </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> <HR> The Cazicites ARE a race of evil Erudites who shunned ERUD for CAZIC Thule. They lived in Paineel <HR> </DIV> <DIV>This would be like saying all Catholics are American.  No, Cazicite is a term that is inclusive of anyone who worships Cazic Thule.  Any person, of any race, regardless of creator, who worships Cazic Thule is a Cazicite.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>As for Erudites creators, the lore was that Mithaniel and Erollisi made the Bararians. Humans split off from them.  Then Erudites split off from the humans.  So, one way or another, they were made by the Marr twins.  The Cazic Thule worshipping erudites also share this same origin.  They have the same descent, came to Odus at the same time as Erud and everything, but chose at some point to emrace Cazic Thule rather than their previous deities.</DIV><p>Message Edited by Maguu on <span class=date_text>03-06-2005</span> <span class=time_text>12:40 PM</span>

Hirebra
03-07-2005, 10:43 PM
<DIV>Cazic - ite (a worshipper of Fear)</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Cazi - cite (the sacred metal of Cazic Thule)</DIV>

Aion
03-07-2005, 11:12 PM
I thought a worshipper of Cazic-Thule was called a Thulian.There are plenty of Thulian mobs in the game

Stormreaver
03-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Naw, velium could be found all over EQ1 lands even before the expansion - it was called Ice of Velious and was used in spell research.  It figures that velium is simply magically imbued ice - so you'll be likely to find it anywhere with mountainous/cold regions with magic about.

Saroc_Luclin
03-29-2005, 05:50 AM
Rubicite used to be the name of some of the most sought after armor in the EQ Early days (preKunark days). It dropped in Cazic Thule, back when it was a mid30's zone.  I believe it was taken out after awhile and the temple of SolRo armor quests were added to replace it.    <div></div>