PDA

View Full Version : Are half-elves sterile?

La Papallo
12-03-2004, 07:41 PM
<DIV>In nature most "unnatural" hybrids are sterile, such as mules. I was just curious about half-elves, since their children (if they are able to have them) could be one quarter or three quarter elves and so forth. Could be interesting from a role playing perspective.</DIV><p>Message Edited by La Papallona on <span class=date_text>12-03-2004</span> <span class=time_text>06:44 AM</span>

Dan
12-03-2004, 08:47 PM
<DIV>in many role playing games the children of half elves are treated as full race beings of the other parent (half elf + elf = elf child, half elf + human = human child) with only both parents being half elves giving a half elf child.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Quillan-Fateba
12-04-2004, 12:54 AM
<DIV>No. In fact, Antonia Bayle's ancestor was a half elf (The child of Lady Faye and Antonius Bayle IV), and obviously, since Antonia is here, they arn't sterile.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Also, you should note that hybrids in nature are species. In my opinion, the differences in fantasy as that of race. (Note that the humans in real life are actually one race genetically) Since by definition, those of the same species but of different races can still procreate with each other, this can explain half elves. Of course, this brings up a slightly disturbing fact; that elves and humans would therefore be part of the same species. However, there arn't any other races in Norrath that are hybrids. Plus, I believe, from the "From Pond to Paladin" book, it explains that Erossili was influenced by the elves to create the Barbarians; so it would make sense if they are the same "species".</DIV>

La Papallo
12-04-2004, 02:56 PM
<DIV>Thanks for the replies, I see what you're saying about species and races.</DIV><p>Message Edited by La Papallona on <span class=date_text>12-04-2004</span> <span class=time_text>01:57 AM</span>

Zutan
12-05-2004, 07:15 AM
<DIV>In *some* fantasy lore Elves and Humans are from the same lines if you where to take it back far enough.  I'm not sure if the EQ2 lore follows those lines though.  </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>(i.e. tolkein books from prior to the "Hobbit" book tell that all the races of middle earth came after the cataclysms.. at that time only humans existed, all technology was lost, magic was introduced to the world and the other races evolved from them.)</DIV>

Quillan-Fateba
12-06-2004, 02:29 AM
<DIV>No, not exactly; I think you are confusing series. The elves of Tolkein were most definatly created seperately from the humans; this is why they were called the First Born. The other humanoid species, other then the dwarves (humans, hobbits, etc) descended from the humans. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>What I mean is this: In fantasy, for terms of science, a god can create a new race that is of the same species as what another god had created, in order to allow interracial relations. The gods don't have to follow evolution to the dot in that case; but the most general definition of a species IS the fact that it is the fundamental unit in which they can produce vital and fully sexual-reproductive offspring.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I sort of like the way the game Arcanum had it; some species evolved naturally (IE, through normal evolution), others evolved supernaturally (IE, through gods or magic). Humans were the original race in this case; elves were supernatural evolution, dwarves through natural evolution, etc.</DIV>

Eriol
12-07-2004, 12:34 AM
<blockquote><hr>Zutan wrote:<DIV>In *some* fantasy lore Elves and Humans are from the same lines if you where to take it back far enough. I'm not sure if the EQ2 lore follows those lines though. </DIV><DIV> </DIV><DIV>(i.e. tolkein books from prior to the "Hobbit" book tell that all the races of middle earth came after the cataclysms.. at that time only humans existed, all technology was lost, magic was introduced to the world and the other races evolved from them.)</DIV><hr></blockquote>Tolkein NEVER had the idea that all came from humans. Going back even into his earliest writings (in The History of Middle-earth series) elves were always seperate.What you are KIND OF describing is what happened in the Dragonlance world, but not between elves and humans, but rather between Humans, Gnomes, Dwarves, and Kender, with the legend of the Graygem. Hence referring to the "Graygem races".It has been a LONG time since I've read it (like 5+ years at LEAST), but the general idea is that there was a war between those who had the gem, and those who didn't, and various combatants were "affected" in different ways. First part of the humans were transformed into gnomes-like creatures, who then split off into dwarves, gnomes, and kender. It was the chaotic magic of the gem that transformed them from humans. So that MAY be what you're referring to.But remember that this world is completely different than either of those two others, and the devs can make up any rules they want for THEIR world. And as was previously posted, Antonia has mixed ancestry, and so Half-elves are NOT sterile.Eriol.