PDA

View Full Version : Mystic melee damage

Chanliang
01-18-2005, 04:55 PM
<DIV>Heyas, I solo a lot and could really use decent weapon to faster it a bit. What kind of damage you do with what weapon at your level? </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I'm 22 atm and have steel spear, attack skill 312, str 72 and piercing skill maxed and hits are 5-14 (same as last 4 levels about) + maul (usually 4x15 with ursine elder app1) and blessed weapon proc (49-69 about if I remember right). With pristine carbonite hammer damage is about the same except minimum seems to be 6 and crushing skill is only little over 90 atm. Spear has better mods so sticking it on harder mobs.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Any light in the future or dot/stacked dots and better maul practically only improment coming in future? I know we won't have any melee special to do real weapon damage but some proc wep or decent wep would be nice to faster soloing a bit.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>ps. if anyone know where to get quest for shadowwalker shield I'd be very interested to know :p</DIV>

BigDa
01-18-2005, 05:48 PM
<DIV>When you get Cold Fire, things look up.  Stacking Cold Fire and Contagion gives a nice amount of damage.  And when you get Miasma it's great.  I still use Contagion even though its very grey.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>At 35th, I have Hammer doing 10 to 20 per 2 seconds, Contagion, Miasma and Cold Fire doing 120 per tick and Touch of the Grey doing 120 with very quick recast.  Add in HOs and Mauls and Blessed Weapon and you can solo reds most times.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>It does vary depending on what spells you just got and what level (App2 or Adept1, etc.) they are, but I can't remember a time when I couldn't solo pretty dang well.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Let's just not talk about the crappy XP you get even when you are a perfect chain soloer compared with grouping....</DIV>

Triyton
01-19-2005, 04:13 AM
<DIV>Ursine Elder is the key to your success here.  You should upgrade it immediately to App3.  If you can't find that soon you can pick up App2 cheaply from and NPC scribe shop as a temporary measure.  I don't know if I have ever seen an Adept1 of it though, if I get a piece of Jasper before I outgrow the spell I will have an Adept3 made for it (assuming that recipie exists).</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>The spear should probably be the one you got when you completed your subclass quest.  If not you might have sold it off or destroyed it by accident.  Another spear might do the same damage but the other stats won't be as good for a Mystic.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>While the spear damage goes up slowly, the Maul attacks have gone up dramatically for me in frequency and amount of damage done.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>As mentioned, you will want to use your Contagion DoT spell at the same time you are doing your melee, and use the Heroic Opportunities.  I will usually pull the mob with a weakness type spell and then start the heroic opportunity.  The Contagion and Grey Wind (DD) spells always flash, so that is when I put in the first Contagion spell, and a Grey Wind finishes off the HO, giving me a bonus effect.  Every time the Contagion is about to expire I start another HO.  I could do it more frequently but that would just run my power down and I want to keep a reserve in case of emergencies.  It just lets me get to the next fight sooner anyway.</DIV>

Chanliang
01-19-2005, 03:11 PM
<DIV>What comes to spear if you check stats and mods of our mystic quest spear and steel spear you can see that steel spear has better mods for priest/mystic and damage is same or max 1 point higher, can't remember correctly. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>That I've to admit that I really should upgrade ursine elder asap... been waiting to friend level high enough to be sage :smileyhappy: I also use normal tricks like debuff HO, contagion, etc. but in longer/tougher fights and against horde of greys I/we don't have that much power to burn for damage spells/HO so melee and maul+blessed weapon have very huge impact to our soloability so that's I'm mainly interested/concerned how to improve it. So far upgrading ursine elder seems to be more or less only real option (of course stacking dot will help a lot in long fights).</DIV>

Triyton
01-21-2005, 11:47 PM
<DIV>Well, in longer fights against multiple mobs, one or two Dots against each may be it, depending on how much how much power you need to ward yourself.  The key here is to keep all your armor and jewelry yellow to orange con.  Even when the AC doesn't improve or barely improves, the other stats including resistances go up quickly.  I also keep my buffs highly upgraded.  If I can stand there taking no damage, or can regenerate it as fast as I am taking it, then it is just a matter of time.  I need not ward myself and can use my power for offense.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Aaldaaf
01-22-2005, 03:45 PM
<DIV>Long term expect to use crushing instead of a spear which sucks big time.  Seems most good spears are Great Spears and we can't use them and there are a lot of good crushing weapons including 2 handed.  Talk about scewing up a class defining item, and I end up going around looking like a [Removed for Content] cleric, good thing bear form hides the weapon.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Hey developers, let us use great spears, our mele will still suck but we will look great doing it!</DIV>

Triyton
01-23-2005, 04:01 AM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Aaldaaf wrote:<BR> <DIV>Long term expect to use crushing instead of a spear which sucks big time.  Seems most good spears are Great Spears and we can't use them and there are a lot of good crushing weapons including 2 handed.  Talk about scewing up a class defining item, and I end up going around looking like a [Removed for Content] cleric, good thing bear form hides the weapon.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Hey developers, let us use great spears, our mele will still suck but we will look great doing it!</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <P>I knew I was giving up some melee damage by using a one handed weapon, but the reason I did it was because it allows me to use a shield, even if it is "just" a buckler.  It is nice to contribute to fighting in the group when circumstances (like lack of aggro or a second healer) permit, and it is the bear form and DoTs that are going to provide most of that.  More damage from a two handed weapon would be a very modest upgrade, especially when grouped.</P> <P>But currently at L24 with my shield my AC goes from 1367 to 1457.  If I get aggro due to healing that may well keep me alive, and if I am soloing it is even more important.  You can't keep using your weapon or spells for any damage at ll if you are dead.  The extra damage just isn't enough to cut it.  If you're wondering, the shield is yellow to me and the armor is all yellow to orange, I don't go cheap.</FONT></P> <P> </P>