PDA

View Full Version : Group Ward and AoE attacks?

Hadji
01-04-2005, 08:40 PM
<DIV><FONT size=2>Greetings:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>I have been following the ward discussion, and in the past month or so I have had a few occasions to wonder if our group wards act differently than our single target wards.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Instance 1:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Mid 20's in RoV group.  Servants of Varsoon (I think this is correct mob) each do an AoE on a pull of a group of 5 or so.  Int casters in group immediately down to less than 50% health, templar and mystic catch up with group heals and we win encounter.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Before next pull of same room, I apply group ward and no party member's health drops.  This repeats 4 or 5 more times, but I didnt think to ask everyone if they had messages of ward absorbing damage, and I didnt check it myself.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Instance 2:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Low 30's in RE group.  Doing armorer (I think) with his group of friends.  First time through, same thing as above - - each of mob group casts AoE, party down in health significantly putting healers in group heal mode.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>For next 2 pulls of same room, same night, apply group ward and no party member's health drops from an AoE.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Question:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Has anyone else seen this occur?  Is it possible our group wards absorb AoE damage?  I plan on testing it against special attacks and direct damage spells in the near future.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Thanks for your time.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Frellya </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>35 Mystic, 15 Outfitter</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Neriak</FONT></DIV>

Gnome mercy
01-05-2005, 03:27 AM
<DIV>all wards absord all damage except DoT's or at least mine do...I've ehard people saying that nukes got past wards but AoE's are considered nukes so my ward takes the damage from nukes...So not sure really...I just think people were lookin for something to complain about on wards because my ward works exactly like yours...</DIV>

FelixDomesticus
01-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Wards do not absorb all damage except dots. Special attacks seem to go through wards too.

Gnome mercy
01-05-2005, 09:46 AM
<DIV>What?...I never got hit by special attacks...I will show you when i get my comp workin my ward even sucks special attacks...will screenshot it next time i get on</DIV>

Merrygr
01-05-2005, 12:10 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Gnome mercy wrote:<BR> <DIV>What?...I never got hit by special attacks...I will show you when i get my comp workin my ward even sucks special attacks...will screenshot it next time i get on</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Please do. This would be news to me and it would go against what I have seen. I have however not looked fully at this. I also belive that there are some magical attacks (other than DoTs) that bybass the ward, but again I have not logged it so can't say for sure.

Hadji
01-05-2005, 07:52 PM
<DIV><FONT size=2>OK back again after some more work on this last night.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>In EL, hunting the BriarPaw bears for the bag quest, Our MT was getting about a 400-500 damage on the pull from the special attack of the lvl 35^^ bears ( he was pulling with a bow, and the damage was immediately after he shot the bear at distance).</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Later pull, Wards of Shadow cast, he got message ward absorbed the damage on the pull.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>After testing this a few times, I started fighting next to him (front of bear) while putting the group ward up.  Barrage never landed on me when ward was active.  I also parried a barrrage (Yay Mystic team!)</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Later, in RE we fought down to get the "Kill 100 eye quest" and before pulling multiple eyes I would group ward and it *seemed* that the spells they were casting were not going through on the MT or party for the duration of the ward, but it was hard to be exact in that setting (6 people, 3-5 mobs).  </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Any ideas where a good place for me to solo caster mobs to test this (level 35 here) that have good special attacks and/or spells, but are low enough for me to test this without serious worry about death (I guess green or gray con mobs)?  </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Frellya</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>35 Mystic - 15 Outfitter</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Neriak</FONT></DIV>

Banditman
01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
<DIV>Gnome is an idiot.  There is a post that he has been involved in that CLEARLY shows different attacks bypassing Wards.  He's just a kid looking for attention.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Yea - some things get thru Wards, some things don't.  I haven't been able to figure out the formula exactly.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>For instance, Frontal AE Melee seems to cut thru pretty much all the time.  I believe I have solved the "regular" attacks getting thru - those appear to be ripostes.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>On the magic side, DoT's definitely cut thru, but after that I haven't been able to put a finger on the "magic formula" for what will get in and what won't.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>What you have here looks like a discrepancy in the way Group Wards work vs single target Wards . . . is that what you're driving at ?</DIV>

Hadji
01-05-2005, 08:11 PM
<DIV><FONT size=2>Banditman:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Exactly!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>I have seen what we all have; i.e. the special attacks and some spells go right through our single target wards, making them more and more trivial as the encounter mobs get tougher and tougher.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>But, I remembered the group ward seeming to defy this experience to some degree, hence the post.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>If group wards do act differently, then the arguement can be made to the developers that the single wards need to act like the group wards.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>Frellya</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV>

Gnome mercy
01-06-2005, 05:06 AM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> Banditman wrote:<BR> <DIV>Gnome is an idiot.  There is a post that he has been involved in that CLEARLY shows different attacks bypassing Wards.  He's just a kid looking for attention.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Yea - some things get thru Wards, some things don't.  I haven't been able to figure out the formula exactly.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>For instance, Frontal AE Melee seems to cut thru pretty much all the time.  I believe I have solved the "regular" attacks getting thru - those appear to be ripostes.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>On the magic side, DoT's definitely cut thru, but after that I haven't been able to put a finger on the "magic formula" for what will get in and what won't.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>What you have here looks like a discrepancy in the way Group Wards work vs single target Wards . . . is that what you're driving at ?</DIV><BR> <HR> </BLOCKQUOTE><BR> kool let me get enough money to buy a new power supply then i can get your screenshot...Until then quit talkin trash about me over the internet...You wanna talk trash coem say it to my face instead of hiding behind a computer...Loser

Banditman
01-07-2005, 02:04 AM
<DIV>Ah, lovely.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I'll be happy to send you my address and telephone number any time you wish to discuss your views "in person".  I am at your disposal.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I suppose I should have used ignorant as opposed to idiot.  My apologies.</DIV>