PDA

View Full Version : Revising Concept of Wards

cloza
12-23-2004, 10:10 AM
<DIV>Been hearing a lot of talk about how shaman Wards are a substandard form of healing, and I'm starting to feel it myself, recently, though, not as bad as most of you report.  From what I gather, here's the problem on wards (I'm only level a 18 shaman, but pleased ont jump on me and my opinions just because im a noob, I'm trying to be constructive here):</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>1) Wards do not mitigate damage or at least, only mitigates  to a very low degree (perhaps wards have their own AC albeit minimal?). This means wards are gone in one or two hits at high levels,  forcing shaman to chain cast them.</DIV> <DIV>2) The concept of wards do not work well with cleric reactive heals, making one, or the other less useful when they are present.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Now, the solution that most people have is to factor in the recepient's AC prior to damage absorbption by the ward.  However, wont this make wards a tad bit overpowered? This makes wards a very high (albeit unhealable) HP buffer.  Also, it doesnt solve problem #2</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Now, maybe wards are they way they are because we can indirectly mitigate damage through slows and debuffs, I'm not high enough to judge if they are truly that effective so I'll leave it to more experienced minds to debate.  However I love healer-type classes, always played them in any MMO I've been on so gathering the info from other threads from higher level shaman, I offer this idea:</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV><STRONG><EM>Revise the concept of wards so that when a warded target is hit, half of the UMITIGATED damage is absorbed by the ward, but the other half is applied to the recepient AFTER mitigation by the recepient's AC.  </EM></STRONG></DIV> <DIV><STRONG><EM></EM></STRONG> </DIV> <DIV>This I think, is a nice compromise.  This means, wards will effectly last twice as long now, because it only receives half the damage it used to receive. However there is now the risk of a warded target dying because unlike before, half damage actually passes through ward, although that half will be mitigated by the recepient's abilities and equipment.  This also solves problem #2, because a warded target actually receives damage now, this will fire off a cleric's reactive heals.  This means a shaman can now effectively group with another cleric or druid without one shutting out the other's abilities.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Anyway my 2 cp, feel free to comment.</DIV> <p>Message Edited by clozada on <span class=date_text>12-22-2004</span> <span class=time_text>09:26 PM</span>

BigDa
12-23-2004, 05:42 PM
<DIV>Hmm.  This would leave both Shaman and Cleric half as effective.  It might be better than now, but it's still not nice.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Basically, wards happening <EM>before</EM> mitigation and vitaes <EM>after</EM> is totally backwards.  Surely this is a bug?</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>If it were the other way around, wards would not be useless for high AC tanks and would run out quicker for low AC tanks.  <EM>This is as it shoud be, surely?!  The low AC tanks have higher DPS, after all?</EM></DIV> <DIV>If the vitaes happened before mitigation, they would fire and heal damage already taken depending on the strength of the attacker.  <EM>Again, you aren't gimped or overpowered depending on your tank AC.  This is as it should be, surely?</EM></DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>It's like the devs have gone out of their way to make things difficult.  Not only are they different styles of healing, they have wild swings of effectiveness depending on your group members classes?  What's <EM>that</EM> all about?</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Please, devs, reverse the mitigation issue.  I don't want to suddenly be a useless healer when my group has a Guardian tanking or be the cause of a cleric not being able to use Vitaes.</DIV>

Aaldaaf
12-27-2004, 07:56 AM
<DIV>I can't keep a tank up under heavy damage like a cleric, but cleric is in trouble when anybody else starts to get hit and I keep them alive easily.  I don't see any problem with our wards so far at 41, even fighting level reds and oranges.</DIV>