PDA

View Full Version : New Beguiler - first impressions

Dro
03-14-2005, 04:12 PM
<DIV><FONT size=2> <P>I just got Beguile yesterday (13 March) and immediately scribed the Adept1 version I had sitting in my bank. I heard a lot about this spell but decided to do some testing.</P> <P>I got a group in Rivervale and we headed out to do Lamias.</P> <P>The Lamias we were pulling either came as one ++ mob or two + mobs.</P> <P>On the paired mobs, after the tank had aggro, I'd charm the one he wasn't fighting and set it on the target. With the lamia and the party now beating on one mob, it was almost dead when the charm wore off - but the ex-charmed lamia always came straight for me - either I stunned it (usually resisted) and the tank needed to taunt it back. Then we finished it.</P> <P>The lamias varied in level - but were either orange or red to me with one up arrow as I said. The red ones were level 43.</P> <P>This strategy was fun, made play a little different, and actually worked in our favour making the encounters quicker, BUT, I had to stop.</P> <P>On some of the encounters casting Beguile would bug the encounter so that all the mobs became no-loot/reward. What party wants this happening?</P> <P>So now Beguile goes back in the Spellbook. I'd also note that the charm duration is a little too short - another 15 secs duration would make a huge difference (once the bugs are fixed).</P></FONT></DIV>

Dro
03-14-2005, 07:02 PM
<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE> <HR> <DIV><FONT size=2> <DIV>If you charm a mob that is a part of Encounter A and immediately cause him to attack Encounter A -- No problem.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>If you charm a mob that is a part of Encounter A and immediatley cause him to attack Encounter B, with no previous aggro -- Problem.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>You or someone in your group must do some form of non-proxy aggro or the encounter will bug.   When soloing I just charm one, cast Despair, then pet attack.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Havent really used Charm must post-patch though, so this info may no longer be valid.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Tinky Vonwinky</DIV> <DIV>50 Coercer</DIV> <DIV>Mistmoore</DIV> <DIV>-- Static --</FONT><BR> <HR> </DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>I was only charming one mob and setting it against the other in a 2 mob encounter.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>

Nibbl
03-15-2005, 02:11 AM
<DIV>This happens and has been posted in main bug forum. This spell has a ton of issues atm.</DIV>

Ubertakt
03-15-2005, 02:39 AM
<DIV><FONT size=2>When I got Beguile (immediately scribed adept I), my friends and I immediately set out to test it.  So far, the best tatic that we have found is for me to go grab an enraged solo mob and use it as a pet.  This does have some drawbacks, as it's difficult to do anything besides control/maintain the pet.  However, currently the way encounters work helps the coercer out in maintaining most pets, since when the encounter breaks, i.e. when the charm drops, the mob just usually sits there non-aggro.  Sometimes it attacks the tank but since it is solo it's not too big a deal.  Just recharm when it breaks.  For example, when we were at the farm, I would go grab a solo nighblood and use it as a pet.  It does good damage.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>We also tested out a few other things.  Here is a summary of what we tested and found:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2> - Double up group:  Gave it a shot.  Can't cast on these (naturally).</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2> - Solo mobs, lvl 42 and down (so far):  Occasionally have resists, but not too often.  No problems controlling the pet.  Seems like the spells duration is based on the mobs mental resists.  Spell may or may not last full duration.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2> - One up group mobs, lvl 39-42):  I was able to charm these mobs, however, Beguile would only last half duration, which is to say, it would not last any more than 18 seconds.  This pretty much makes it useless with one up group mobs (as it probably should be).</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2> - All caster mobs:  Generally these don't seem to work to well since the Beguile tends to break early.  It's probably due to a caster type having higher mental resists.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2> - Undertow mobs: These spawn at various places in Rivervale.  After a couple of times charming these we stopped using them.  Funny enough, it looks like they are enchanter mobs.  They end up charming the mobs that you are fighting and breaking the encounter.  It was kind of funny to have a charmed pet charm something else though.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2> - Necromancer/Conjuror mobs:  There are a few of these in Rivervale as well.  There is only one problem in using these type mobs as pets.  Everytime charm wears off, there pet poofs, so when you recharm them, they spend about 5 - 10 seconds bringing up a new pet.  Since Beguile tends to break early on these, it pretty much sucks.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT> </DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2>That's about it.  There are a few things I would like to try, such as a lower lever one up group mob, or better yet a no up group mob.  Perhaps sometime this week I will be able to give it a shot.</FONT></DIV>