EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Kunark Ascending Beta > General Beta Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #1
Jamiss

Developer

This thread is for the discussion of 2 new UI items
  1. Threat List Window
    • This window is designed to show you NPCs with threat to you.
    • It is currently limited to 10 displayed NPCs
    • To see it, you can use the command /togglethreatlistwindow
    • You have to be All Access to access the window
    • It will NOT show your current target
  2. Numeric Spell hotbar timers
    • This is designed to provide a seconds display in the spell hotbar for your spell cooldown
    • It will show up in the upper left if it is turned on
    • It can be turned on by going to Options > User Interface > [Advanced] > Spell Icons > Display Numerical Reuse Counter
Please keep discussions / feedback about these items limited to this thread Smile
Jamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #2
Grumpy_Warrior

I was disappointed to discover the threat list has nothing to do with threat. It is apparently an unordered list of mobs in the current encounter and their health. Just a thought, you might consider calling this the enemy list, which would be less ambiguous.

As stated in the OP, if I target a mob and start swinging at it, the mob does not appear on the list. I have to target anything else in the zone other than the current enemy in order to see the entire list of enemies. When I target the mob again, it disappears from the window.

Maybe I'm dense, but why wouldn't you want the currently targeted enemy to appear in the list along with the other mobs in the encounter? I get that you can click a name in the list and switch to that enemy, which is fine. But then, disturbingly, the enemy that you just clicked immediately vanishes from the list because it is now your current target. The unlisted mob that you were targeting previously now shows up somewhere on the list. Using this UI piece left me frustrated. I guess I am not able to comprehend its true value in combat.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
Sahkmet

Could you make the threat list window not close when the esc key is pressed. Also I would like to see current target in the window.
Sahkmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Jamiss

Developer

• It is any mob that you have angered in some way. So, mobs outside of the current encounter will show up there too.
  • The main reasoning behind NOT showing the targetted mob is because you can already see it in your target window. The UI element's main purpose is to assist with clustered targetting situations. Not really as a permanent replacement for the current target window.
I do appreciate the feedback from these viewpoints, though, and will consider adding in the currently targetted mob though I'd like to get some more feedback first, and look at making it stay up even if you hit escape.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
Cunning

The closing on esc is a bit annoying as some people do use it to clear out things and if you hit it once more than needed it’ll close that window. Not the end of the world but needing to use a / command to bring it back up every time will probably get old. Having it toggle itself on when you have an active enemy like the normal threat window or an option for always on might be more intuitive given what we are used to with that.

I can see how it would be useful. Cycling through targets using that instead of trying to find them in a sea of particle effects might be nice.

The name however is a little… off? I get why you call it a threat list. That said, using threat in the name kinda makes one think it’ll tell you your threat level to those mobs. Don’t know what else you’d call it but should probably make explicitly clear that’s it’s showing health of all current enemies and not your actual threat level with them.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Uncle

The hot bar timers are awsome wortking for charm and potions not just abilities my only negitive feed back on it is id liek to be able to make the countdown numbers adjustable to be in the center of teh abilites and able to scale the text to my liking other then that nice

Uncle
Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
Jamiss

Developer

Can definitely change the name. I'm open to suggestions. I called it a threat window, primarily because it's mobs that you have some level of threat to.

I will look into allowing the numbers to move around and possibly scale the font size of them. I have to be careful with font scaling, however as they can start colliding if allowed to go too large.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Sejreia

Aggression List Window?

"Hate" means the same thing, too, an idea but not necessary to measure, as Threat has been measured in Norrath, I'm guessing for a long time. But; Hate List Window may not sound as good?
Also, Aggro is a shortened word for aggression, so there's that.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
Grumpy_Warrior

Enemy List notes:

1. If I send the mercenary to attack a mob then target through the mercenary to kill it, the mob stays on the list after it's dead.

2. Would be nice if the window could stretch vertically to see all 10 slots without needing the scrollbar.

3. Since the enemy list is only relevant in combat, would it be possible to show the window only in combat similar to the autoattack bars?

Edit:

I understand not wanting to duplicate information in two windows, but I'm pretty sure nobody could use this window as a permanent replacement for the target window unless they were in combat 100% of the time Wink
Old 10-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
Cunning

Not really sure what else to call it. Active enemy list? … Non-Target Enemies list? Something to denote that it’s a list of engaged or active mobs… It’s an odd thing to name as what you have makes sense as long as you understand it. But coming in new and just seeing the name it made me think it’d be something else.

Also with the merc killing the mob. I think I had the same issue with a pet killing a mob for me? Will have to mess with it more this evening.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #11
Sejreia

Hostiles List?
Engagement List?
Engage Gauge, ha!
Old 10-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #12
Sejreia

Yes! Love it! BigGrin
Old 10-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #13
denozzo

Maybe not the best idea but could we call it the 'Mob hot potato list'?
Engagement list is pretty good descriptor as well.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:05 AM   #14
Grumpy_Warrior

Maybe just title it "Enemies" or "Hostiles" since the fact that it's a list is kind of self-evident. Can PvP targets also appear here?
Old 10-13-2016, 03:18 AM   #15
Jamiss

Developer

No PVP targets. I like the idea of Enemies. I will probably go with that to start with.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:26 AM   #16
Sejreia

but.. but... every thing you would or may fight in game is an enemy. Hostiles, those that would be engaging you in combat are what you're trying to delineate from the rest?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #17
Grumpy_Warrior

My favorite so far!

...maybe Engage Gauge of Rage?
Old 10-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
ZUES

Republican Convention Window - kidding

Very cool and long overdue on the spell timers! You just eliminated our primary need to go download custom UI's. Some of them do have some cool features that we would love to see implemented in the future as well. I won't comment on those though.

Feedback on the spell timers... too small. Can we get a numerical size slider under the check box in options? Color change options if you want to go all out. The other thing is the milliseconds, we don't need them. The only thing with this game that we use milliseconds for is when we hear our wives car door closing in the driveway. That's how much time we have to shut down our computers.

As far as the hate window goes.... LOVE IT! As a former raid tank this is an awesome awesome addition to EQ2! Threat management would be easier if these showed both health and hate tho. Raiders would drool over this (especially off-tanks).

Overall great job man!
Old 10-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #19
Surgeon

Called extended targeting window in eq1
Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #20
Lucus

i second this suggestion, maybe have the first number be their health and the second number have be your position on their hate list rather then a percentage (to stop confusion about which is which)
Lucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #21
Drusi_EQ2

Just call it "Qho". We'll all understand.

(Or I suppose Hostile Enemies would be good.)
Old 10-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #22
Jamiss

Developer

Right, it's similar to that, but it doesn't have the same functionality so I didn't want to name it the same thing.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #23
Grumpy_Warrior

LOL or Nathan o_O

I third this suggestion, vigorously, but I dared not suggest it since the developers have always been so cagey about threat in this game. Back when the threat meter was being worked on, players begged Rothgar to display the name of the player with secondary threat but he refused to name names, other than the player with aggro which was pretty obvious anyway. An enemy list that can be sorted by threat level... well, let's just say I would pass out from sheer joy.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #24
Sejreia

I just clipped some bits of chat about it that went on in Discord. Take note of some of the words people use to describe it. I'm sorry, I realize some of my military experience can come through quite a bit sometimes, particularly combat concepts and being cognizant of exactly what your trying to relate. I know it's just gaming hehe, I just hope this this helps in some way, seeing the way others think. At this point I'm not so sure Threat List wasn't such a bad title after all Smile Thank you for your time with this, I will just leave it now by saying it's a great feature to be sure!

[IMG]

[IMG]
Old 10-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #25
Grumpy_Warrior

It's true, "enemies" doesn't technically mean they hate you, since you can spot "the enemy" at the other end of the zone and not be in combat. Combatants or Hostiles would technically be more correct since they imply active combat. But of all the choices so far, Enemies is the least military term that still implies "list of currently engaged enemies except for your direct target" which is the window's function. The term "threat" in this game is so strongly associated with the hate/aggro component of combat that it would be a confusing choice IMO. Unless there was a threat component included in the window, then Threat List would be perfect. *nudge nudge*
Old 10-14-2016, 04:48 AM   #26
Jamiss

Developer

Updates are in for tomorrow. Threat List Renamed to "Enemies" for now and the ESC button will no longer close it. The amount of threat will not be displayed in the window.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #27
Wurm

Where does one look in the UI settings to find this window?

I'd rather just turn it on and leave it on instead of having to use /togglethreatlistwindow every time.
Wurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #28
Wurm

One bug with the enemies window, I used the worker sledgemallet to get to the docks and the window remained open with the last mobs I was fighting in it. It should clear when zoning, Other than that a really useful tool.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #29
Darwiin

All I can say is Kutos on Reuse counter!!!!! /Feedback_End
Darwiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #30
Wurm

I also had it stay up after one shoting the entire group I was fighting. It stayed up until the next encounter.