EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Terrors of Thalumbra Beta > Zone and Quest Discussion
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Kaitheel

Developer

Welcome to Terrors of Thalumbra Beta!

While adventuring through Thalumbra you will stumble upon a large array of quests. Their order of completion is far less structured given that this overland (underland!) is not accommodating a level increase, thereby allowing progression to be far more free form. This means, if you find a quest that is blocked (augh!), you should still be able to find other quests that can be completed.

Please post any feedback or bugs that you may have found with the overland quests in this thread. This will help us keep it as organized as possible and get the feedback to the appropriate designer.

Also, be sure to include Quest Name, Who gave the quest, and What your journal says when submitting issues.

~ Kaitheel
Kaitheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Kaitheel

Developer

A couple things to keep in mind with these quests: There are no RoI (region of interest) markers on the map for quests, and you'll find that there are few sparkles on objects. Instead, quest objects are signs, so you'll be able to see them by mousing over them. The goal is to make questing less auto-pilot, requiring a bit more attention, and encouraging collaboration. With that said, if you find a quest step that does not give group updates, and you think it should, let us know.

~ Kaitheel
Old 10-20-2015, 03:20 AM   #3
Xianthia

I can't wait, for all of it! Posted on the quest portion but really am very excited for expansion. Thanks!
Xianthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
Soresha

Cool I was just going to post and ask about that. I thought I remember something said previously about this changing in future. Smile
Old 10-20-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
Moss

if there are no Rol make sure that the translations are perfect for non english servers
Old 10-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #6
Foretold

Lets start with quest number one... killing mushrooms in the mushroom field. 23498098 toons running around, 6 mushrooms to kill. Waiting for respawn. 30 minutes later, still not finished with quest. Not much fun.
Foretold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Foretold

Ok so I get through 12 of these and the second quest is to kill 8 more? I don't have all day for this. Can we get more mushrooms or shorter respawn or something? My god...

I'm not doing this again. Going to log out and try to hit it when its not so busy. Major bottleneck.
Foretold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #8
Denon

Same exact problem as Foretold above - everyone in zone competing to do this first quest. Been here 20 minutes trying to get my kills in..... I am giving up and will come back and try again tomorrow - hopefully others will be past this quest.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Elinea

Ditto what Foretold said. I haven't seen camping like this since I left EQ. People are literally camping a single spawn spot, waiting for that one to spawn over and over.
Elinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:50 AM   #10
Soresha

Ok so after a few hours I've managed only a few quests and given up completely on a couple. And I'm seeing a recurring, frustrating problem.

"The goal is to make questing less auto-pilot, requiring a bit more attention" - this idea I can get behind. Unfortunately about half the quests so far aren't providing enough information to compensate for removing the POIs and sparklies. You have no clue what you're looking for or which direction to head off in. (Yes I've /bugged some specific ones so far.)

BAD: Go help at the mushroom farms. What mushroom farms, where? They are out of sight down the hill. Surely if someone is asking you to go somewhere they'd say "head off that way down the hill".

BAD: Go kill stuff for me in Abyssal Chasm. Or Tranquil Halls. Where the **** are these places?

BAD: Go recharge an "arcane defense pillar". What is one of those? What does it look like? I flew around the yard for ages looking at things which might be considered pillars and found no clickable or mouseover objects. If you told me to recharge an elephant I might have a clue but these are made up fantasy terms. Roleplaying it, if an NPC is talking to a stranger in their land, asking them to do something, they'd explain what you're looking for. (Tall thin blue pillars with pink elephants on the top perhaps!)

EXCELLENT: Get me ore from the mines. Quest says: the mines are on the NE side of the outer area. Great! Now I head off, start looking on that side... that looks like a path, oh look an entrance? Yes that's a cave, there's a miner, in I go... happy quester. I genuinely enjoyed finding the mine for myself. Smile

As for "encouraging collaboration" - this is a fine line. There are plenty of wikis out there for EQ2 and there will soon enough be walkthroughs available with all the waypoints ready to copy into the game to provide the missing POIs. Now of course some folks won't even try and will follow walkthroughs blindly or immediately ask in general chat, whilst others will battle on forever... but I think most people are like me, somewhere in the middle ground.

I want to be encouraged to try myself first, given enough pointers to get started, know which way to go and what I'm looking for, and only resort to getting help when occasionally I get stumped. But if people have to get help to do every second quest, it's going to get frustrating fast, and soon enough people will give up trying to find stuff for themselves and start following instructions for whole quest lines from the internet.

Right now I'm seeing far too many questions in general chat, it's concerning and clearly not just me. People are getting stuck too often.

Please re-examine the quests, try to imagine you don't know the zone(!) and see if you know what your quest is talking about? Wink
Old 10-21-2015, 01:00 AM   #11
Tabri

The quest "Another one bites the Rock". I go get the worm glow stuff then get the crag gorger's 5 of them then I can only click the rock with the staff in it 3 times before it stops letting me click it anymore. Quest journal is telling me to still release another gorger upon the metamorphic rock.

I so want to pull that staff out!!! help.
Tabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:01 AM   #12
Elinea

Even a vague "south of here" will help point us in the right direction. I like that the quests make us think instead of holding our hands and pointing our heads at exactly what is needed, but this needs to be gradual I think. We've spent years having our hands held and our heads pointed....we can't go cold turkey, man!
Elinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:07 AM   #13
Kaitheel

Developer

Some very valid points, Soresha!

Keep in mind that the quests were written with the knowledge that map location icons (names of places) were going to be present, and in fact, they will be coming. But as they are not here yet, it is confusing and I can understand your confusion. I'm doing what I can to make up for current the lack of icons on the zone map by making some quest journal adjustments.

~ Kaitheel
Old 10-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #14
Soresha

Ahh well having the major place names identified will definitely help, I can see what you mean about how the quest texts have been written based on them. That should get us into roughly the right areas more often. I'd started marking them on the map myself when I got the onscreen location messages (memory like a sieve!)
Old 10-21-2015, 01:39 AM   #15
SandsMans

For "A Gust of Good Fortune", I must have clicked on a dozen umbrites in a row and got the knock-back effect. It would be nice to have the randomness seeded more towards getting the update than the knock-back. Also, while there were only 5 or 6 people on the same step, the respawn could have been a little faster. I can't imagine many more trying to do the quest at the same time. (I also heard someone say that the update is not group-wide.)
SandsMans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:45 AM   #16
Kaitheel

Developer

Some changes headed to Beta, based upon today's feedback:
  • Many dialogue and journal typos corrected
  • Underdepths Saga: Into Darkness - Journal gives direction for Ironblood Fungus Farm
  • Not So Tender Touch - Myconids respawn faster
  • A Gust of Good Fortune - Gathering low-quality umbrite is now a group update
  • A Gust of Good Fortune - Gathering low-quality umbrite success rate has been increased
  • Another One Bites the Rock - Crag gorgers can now continue to be released upon the metamorphic rock
I am not sure when these changes will make it to Beta, though I suspect it will be on Thursday, 10/22.

Thank you all for jumping on, and giving feedback so quickly!

~ Kaitheel
Old 10-21-2015, 03:17 AM   #17
Denon

Finally completed the first quest 'yay' - good thing some people have not figured out that auto-lock encounters is not on by default. But the same dang mushrooms again.... seriously? after fighting with everyone for 30 minutes to get past the first quest we have to do it again !!!

Should be able to go back to the farmer and say - "look you don't need my help, can't you see all the hordes of people standing right over there insta-killing your mushrooms? Is there something else I can do for you?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:59 AM   #18
Tabri

Quest "Its Pillar Time" Is stuck telling you to kill aberrants no matter how many pillars you click or aberrants you kill it wont advance.

Quest " Crate Courier" Says to fly up to the platform and place the box, there is a clear blue box up there but I was not able to see anywhere where the waypoint led me that you could do anything with any crate.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:03 AM   #19
Chrol

Developer

For Crate Courier, you have to carry the box. And the quest shouldn't tell you to fly as you can't fly while carrying the crate.
Chrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 AM   #20
Tabri

Sorry I didnt get exact wording before the quest poofed. I am on high graphics and didnt see a box to carry I just clicked the box on the ground and nothing showed in the journal or my inventory and physically I didnt see a box in my hands. I went back to try to do the quest again and read it more carefully but the box on the ground to pick the quest up was gone.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #21
Chrol

Developer

Might be a streaming issue Tabri. That is, if you're playing through the streaming client.
Chrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:12 AM   #22
Mermut

Eggcelent Population:
We need to find leafhooper eggs... but there is zero information on what they look like or where they might be found. Removing the huge sparklies and blue swathes on the map is fine, as long as there is enough information for the players to complete the quest without them.
I know if somebody asked me to collect something, I'd ask them what it looked like and where it would can be found rather then going off looking for 'something' 'somewhere' Tongue
Mermut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #23
Kaitheel

Developer

Thankfully, the problem is going to be resolved, but you don't have to do both of his quests. You only need to complete one to unlock Anmera's quest.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #24
Jakaan

In Maldura Just as you enter into the water "You are hit by Lava Burn for 118737 focus damage".

If while in the water, I turn my camera around so I see beneath the water, I see red as if in lava.

As a matter of fact, the entire pool of water in this area acts as if it is lava.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #25
Jakaan

In Maldura there is a hole that causes you to fall to your death... closest coordinates: -50.86, 10.31, 214.93 Orientation 274.94

As I was falling I was able to get the following coordinates: -28.43, -6.93, -1.35

First time was an accident but I did it a second time to confirm.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #26
Darakthar

Quest "It's pillar time" is stuck on 3rd step of quest requiring the death of the attackers after clicking on the pillar.

Now the mobs that spawn do not have the quest indication over their head and no matter how many I kill it has ceased to update. This happened after i had clicked a pillar that someone else had already used and i accidentally aggroed their aberrant whilst grey to me. Clicking the pillar spawned fresh aberrant and gave quest update but from then on it was bugged

deleted quest and retried and bug was reproduced at same step
Old 10-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #27
Elowith

I, also, after spending an enormous amount of time trying to find mushrooms to kill, got up to "Gust of Good Fortune". The nodes are not only hard to spot, but spawn impossibly slowly and in not enough locations.
Elowith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #28
dngrmse

Same issue. I lose the 'hand' icon, and get an attack icon instead. I've tried zooming in and out, getting on/off my mount, camping, restarting. No go. I can release three, not four crag gorgers.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #29
Bloodguts

It's Pillar Time: the quest is bugged past the 3rd update. Aberrants do not give updates to the quest.

Another one Bites the Rock: quest can't be completed past releasing the 4th crag gorger on the metamorphic rock. The rock is not clickable.

Dismantle Ten Rats: the clockwork rodents do not give quest updates. they just knock you around and killing them or clicking them doesn't do anything.
Bloodguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #30
Xianthia

For Dismantle Ten Rats - have to click box behind npc (Sasha) then you have an item to dismantle them.
Xianthia is offline   Reply With Quote