EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Altar of Malice Beta > Zone and Quest Discussion (AoM Beta)
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #31
Arcos

Yeah - my channeller should have been able to prevent death with a heal but couldn't get a spell away - just watched life disappear. My areakyn merc was quite happily fighting the drunk - only when I deliberately didn't use any aggressive moves myself did I stand a chance.
Arcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #32
Shiloh

Ran Bligewater, and mobs seems to be in okay level of difficulty...but the XP is way less than on mobs outside, is that intended?
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #33
Shiloh

Except 3 last mobs, adds are way to overpowered..... (In Bilgewater solo)
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #34
Jrel

Just an FYI, there is a separate Bilgewater solo zone thread. Gninja, there, wanted to know your resists, health, etc, for the harder Bilgewater fights.
Jrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #35
Kalika

Do you have immunities to stun and stiffle ? priests can equip two purple runes that provide such immunities.
Till i got them i used tranquility, serenity and howling with the pack to counter those effects. So if trash used stuns or stiffles i did not noticed it.

I strongly advice those gems full immunity is much safer than skills that may prevent you to be stun locked to death.
Kalika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #36
Sisca

Ran the solo instance with my Inquisitor and the wife on her Paladin this morning and found a couple of things.

First off all of the drunken and slur pirates have an effect called Drunken Boxing. As near as I can tell it targets the person that's NOT at the top of the hate list and it does well over 300k of damage to that person. It happens no matter if you're in front or behind the mob, in fact it seemed to hit me more when I stood behind them. If you're a clothie that's all but a one shot on you so you're going to be hard pressed to live through more than one of those if your merc/duo partner isn't a healer.

Next up is Bipsie, they've toned her down but considering we were a pally in full tank spec and a decently geared plate healer she was tough. It didn't help that we got one of the drunkards as an add which managed to kill me twice with his drunken boxing before we got him down. She ports all around the area so you really need to clear all the trash before pulling her but there is at least one drunkard that you can't pull without aggroing her.

After that it was Duncan. He wasn't to tough but the tossing you around the room was annoying and the bladedance things he brings in are about 3 times tougher than he is. Again you'll want to kill the non-aggro stuff at the doors first if you can otherwise they join in.

The Captain was almost a letdown after Bipsie, he summoned in a bunch of adds though and I'm guessing if we weren't a group that's basically setup to absorb a lot of damage it would be much tougher.

Once we got the key and clicked the chest we went into the special zone and clicked the artifact. Since there were 2 of us we both clicked it which triggered a total of 5 FP agents (not sure what would happen if we'd been on characters from different factions). My understanding is they were supposed to grab the artifact and port away. Well one ported away but we were left with 4 attacking us. Their health showed 0 so no matter how much damage we did they wouldn't die and other than some minor damage from a couple of DoT's they weren't able to damage us even if we just stood there. We finally had to click on the chest to port back to the forge room but still 2 of the 4 followed us. We had to /yell to break the encounter twice to get both of them to leave.

If this zone is supposed to be soloable/moloable by someone in nothing better than cryptic I think they're going to have a tough time of it as it stands now.
Sisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #37
Achirin

So far I've felt like all the creatures have been rather tough considering they are lower level than the ToV overland stuff. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I logged the normal server and went around killing trash (101+) and was able to do it much faster with less damage than I take on Beta. Looks like a 101 ^ Falinpol sentinel takes 1.1 mil damage before dying and hits for 18k, a 96 adamantine karkata on the other hand takes 2.6 mil and hits for 25k. a 96 twisted Far Seas crew member at the zone in does better at 15k per hit but still takes 2.5 mil damage before dying. A Brokenskull pirate lookout 96 ^ hits for 30k but takes 8 mil damage. If the intent is that the new quest line gear will improve our DPS that much by this point in the quest line then okay, but I'm still 95 so it can't be level 96 gear either unless xp values are going to be later adjusted.

So I'd say hp needs to come down like half. Yeah it will be a snooze for people in heroic+ ToV gear but for someone just returning to the game, or new to the game with only quest gear it will be more in line.
Achirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:18 AM   #38
Achirin

A lot of the sea creatures on the other hand need a bit of a boost. The twisted tiger sharks (96^) are like other creatures with 2.6 mil damage taken however the Thresh fin's (96), Savage Entanglers (96), and Sea Snappers all get 1 shotted under 100k hp, a 102 sea snapper died to 55k which seems way low. No exp difference between the much harder sharks and thresh fins either.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #39
Kalika

Btw i one shooted the Qeynos Agent that conned deep orange 1 ^ .... it must be a bug his health is missing two zeros.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #40
Eliziana

I've been running around now for 40 mins looking for a chest. Is it somewhere obvious and I am, just totally overlooking it?

Found it! I had a load of blades still up after that boss fight and ran out of that room ASAP, missing the chest.
Eliziana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #41
Loredena

It's in the forge room
Loredena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:39 AM   #42
Margaritas

Lady Bipsie in the solo zone is way too hard. Adds are way too hard hitting.
Margaritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #43
Tybee

Tried to run Brokenskull Solo with my level 96 Warden using Daeron Ashenwing as a merc. I am using the gear from the beta buffer merchant. I didn't even get a chance to heal before I was stunned and wiped with two hits. Since I can't progress without completing this solo there is no other quests available that I can tell. I have never been able to get any of the quests on the dino island. This dungeon is not fun.
Tybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #44
Kalika

It's certainly difficult with the beta buffer gear.

For the stun : you can probably use howling with the pack, or serenity (may be improved 8/8) and/or tranquility that shall cure you if lucky.

I have a rune that makes me immune, so i don't use those old tricks ... but since itt is sold on vespyr nobody can get it on beta.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #45
Achirin

Okay, so I mentioned the Thresh fin were too low. They've been increased now... to 2.5 mil like much of the other stuff in the overland. HP of creatures in Cobalt Scar which are the same level is only around 1 mil. Please look at adjusting the HP of all creatures down. New characters not in potent will struggle to complete quests or move so slow it won't be worth doing.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #46
Achirin

Yeah, I'm stuck at the same point Tybee. Just waiting for a fix to Blipsie. Although I'm not sure I want to spend 30 minutes going through trash just to get to her and see if she's fixed anymore. The zone is not soloable and certainly is not fun at all. I'll grind skyshrine to 100 before I run brokenskull bay on live.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #47
Sisca

Not sure I'd agree with grinding SS to 100 but I can certainly understand the sentiment Smile.

If this goes in as is I can see the wife and I running it once (her pally, my inq most likely) just to say we did it but at 2+ hours a run it's not something we're going to want to do for each of our multitude of alts. That would mean that the signature quest all but dead ends here for most.

Maybe the quest gear that we would have gotten by the time we get to this zone is going to be that much better than the cryptic gear most of my alts are wearing now. If so that might make it something they can handle. If that's the case then they need to get that gear in - or at least give us the stats so we can try and build a setup that emulates it - so we can give this a fair test.

If this goes live as is I predict that the difficulty will be cut in half with the first hotfix because the boards are going to explode with gamer rage.
Sisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #48
Xuma

I tried to kill Bipsie several times the first time in at lvl96 on a ToV raid geared assassin with 600k HP and a merc healer. No dice - got her down to maybe 10% on best pull, died several times - even with Scales of Justce miracle running (and having to run the length of the zone after every death was not fun). Then I recopied my toon with a different set up and went back in, beta buffed to 100, ran all the starter quests over again, went in and was able to kill Bipsie at lvl 100 with around 665k HP - barely survived but was able to kill her - was very close. Then I went and found the next named - Smooth-Talking Duncan Togglecog - STD for short. Well - I started out, got him to around 60% - some "maelstrom" adds popped I was knocked all over the room and bam dead - with a healer merc - also immediately dead. Then, I got a Monk merc and tried again - same process but I died the monk stayed up for around 30 seconds more - with 2 trauma dots on him and he didn't have enough dps to kill the one add he was on, while STD seems to be invulnerable while the adds are up.

Frustrating is really an understatement for me here. Without a good player (non-merc) healer, this "solo" zone is impossible for 90% of the game population at this point, in my opinion. I can't even imagine what the "advanced solo" zone might be like. And I haven't even gotten to the last named yet. I think that the named in the solo zone are way overpowered for a gating instance at this point in the sig quest - need to tone em down a LOT.
Xuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #49
Nesissa

Tried this earlier today for the purposes of the sig quest line.

toon info: using better gear than the buffer/purchasable beta gear, but not raid level, well adorned. Conj. using Monk merc and Fiery pet.

Random mobs seem to one shot my character. Seeing a LOT of them completely ignore my merc and pet and come straight after me. First named (can't remember his name, bill or something like that) ran up on me, but still took him out without much issue, he and a couple of pulled (in error) adds. The Navigator named guy, again, not much of an issue, but perhaps longer than a 'solo' boss should last. Gave up on Blipsie after 3 tries, her bouncers COMPLETELY ignore my merc and pet and one shot me, not to mention they multiply waaaaaaay too quickly - by the time the first 2 had spawned and killed me, another 2 spawned. A side note here, the 2 drinking mobs perched next to Blipsie - one can be range pulled without issue, the one closer to the named pulls the boss; perhaps instead of having the named spawn adds, have these 2 mobs be part of her fight and leave it at that. Aside from random ultra crit'ing from mobs, the rats are reeeeeeally hard hitting, like brutally so.

As for proposed revive points..... a revive point at the vertical level of the forge in that area would be a great place.

As for the rest of the instance, I didn't complete it. Way too frustrating and inconsistent at this point. I suspect the mobs are treating mercs too much like pets are treated, thus the ignoring factor - not seeing this issue in the open world so much, but very much an issue in this instance.
Nesissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #50
Lodrelhai

95/96 dirge in beta buffer gear with lujen healer merc. Solo (not advanced) version of Bilgewater Falls

Bipsie took me out twice; once when I was trying to pull the two normals near her and caught her too, once when it was just her. Got her on the third run. No adds.

Had a random mob hit me for 300k+ dmg which was not fun. I remember that one in particular because it killed me, but had several times that my health would suddenly go from full green to slim bit of red - Krivok saw a lot more of that. And a lot more deaths.

Was worried for a bit that I wouldn't get the 12 Far Seas items I needed for the quest (Shattered Seas: Pirates Plot). Last mob I pulled - last one in the zone besides Smooth-Talking Duncan - gave me the 12th one, which actually made me wonder if you've got some code going that the less mobs there are in the zone, the more likely the pieces will drop, until you get 100% drop rate when number of mobs=number of pieces needed. Also wonder if the drop rate is improved if in there with a friend also on the quest, or if they will drop one per person.

Getting some of those mobs was a pain, btw. The ones on upper levels frequently required I pull them with my merc, because the only places I could see them from were out of range. That's going to make them near impossible to reach if someone heads in there with a friend instead and neither of them are pet classes. Am I missing some ramps/roof paths to the guys on the uppermost balconies?

After Duncan made mincemeat of me a couple times, I just invis'd past him to talk to Pella. Of course now I'm stuck on the quest because I can't kill him, and apparently the Captain won't even spawn while he's up. Whenever I get him around 50%, he starts spitting out bladestorms like hotcakes. I get 8-9 "This encounter will no longer give encounter rewards" messages when I died. I couldn't see for sure because I was flying half the time. I did manage to see that Duncan does eventually become attackable again even if the bladestorms aren't killed, so at least they don't have to die to continue the fight. And I have a sneaking suspicion there is some function with them that the more they are hit, the more of them spawn? If that's right, it's a lousy function for mobs that don't despawn. If it's not, then there is no reason to have more than 1-2 of them up at a time in a solo instance. Finally gave up for the night after 7 deaths post-Pella.

Can we please get some kind of shortcut to higher areas as we clear the zone? Maybe have interactive ropes or rope ladders on some of the walkways. Get to the walkway, kick down the rope/ladder, next time you can climb the ladder or click the dangling rope to go up top.
Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #51
Nesissa

Tried this again after zone changes. Blipsie is much more 'doable'.

Monk Merc still not able to hold agro worth crap.

Trash mobs seem to have more health, taking longer to kill.

Duncan is amazingly ridiculous. His bladestorm ability is an insta-kill. His emotes persist through death and revival... kind of annoying to be honest.

Hoping that "immensely important pirate object" is available after Duncan or last bosses' death?????
Old 10-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #52
Lodrelhai

Finally beat Duncan once I figured out the mechanic for his bladestorms - one spawns each time he sends you flying. So once he starts spinning, avoid him at all costs! I ended up running in circles on the rocks outside the room, and it only took 2 tries to kill him then.

Captain Bilgewater I'm still figuring out. The audio clue is helpful to avoid that tidal wave, thank you for that. But my gear is broken and I've dinner to start, so I'm off for now.
Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:59 AM   #53
Olgie

Ran the Solo (not advanced) version of Bilgewater Falls twice with remarkably different results.

First group on 18-OCT was 95 Dirge & 95 Wizard. Dirge in Overcharged Potent gear from TOV and Wizard in non-overcharged Potent gear.

They got their butts kicked royally... lol It took ~4hrs to get to Duncan and we could not progress (he was 1 and 2 shotting us), so we did the Beta-Buff to 100 thing and tried again. After 4 more pulls, we finally killed him before the adds killed us. Same thing happened on the Captain, but we managed to 1 pull him and died at the same time he went down. Unfortunately, with the captain, we did not get a key. It took so long to run all the way back up top that his corpse was gone when we got there to kill the remaining adds. Respawning in the Forge room after Duncan is killed would be better. Wink

Second "group" on 19-OCT was an Inquisitor with the 10 year Shadowknight Merc. Inquisitor was 96 with Overcharged Potent gear and the zone was challenging, but easily doable. Took less than 2 hours to complete with no deaths. Problem on this run is we killed EVERYTHING in the zone (even the guys on top of the buildings; Merc pull FTW,) and only had 8/12 quest updates. Had to exit, reset the zone, and clear it again to get the quest updates.

So, either the zone scaled up because there were 2 real players for the Dirge/Wizard pair, or a Tank/Healer combo is much better suited to tackle the zone as is.
Olgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #54
Olgie

Zavith'loa:The Hidden Caldera

Dirge/Wizard team mentioned above had no trouble with this zone up to the last boss. We killed him on the second try after figuring out his "trick". Wink Though we did zone in the Dirge first ungrouped before inviting the Wizard.

The Inquisitor/Merc combo also had no problem, other than it taking ~10 min to kill the last boss.
Olgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #55
Fippyderpderp

Potent and mostly fabled geared coercer with Skyshrine inquisitor merc in solo instance of The Hidden Caldera. Trash mobs were unusually easy. The named were another story. I couldn't even make a dent in one before it killed me, hitting me 4-5 times. I tried root kill, charmed pet fight & root & repeat. I can only assume that there's some strat I am missing or my gear and class just make this impossible. Even attempting to chain stun and repeat root didn't help.
Fippyderpderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #56
Nesissa

Thanks Gigglezzz, I did figure it out. Wasn't getting away from him fast enough.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #57
Gigglezzz

Nesisa,
If you are getting blades from Duncan, you are not doing it rightWink . Read the other post about this fight, like three posts up from yours. Since its been nerfed, it is REALLY easy now.
Gigglezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #58
Alienor

Are the undead in front of castle highhold any different? The ones further down at the bridge behave absolutely normal, but the ones at the castle rip my pet apart almost immediately and I am always in low yellow hp when fighting them.
Alienor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #59
Alienor

Ossuary Solo: The cranial Skitterers are hard stuff. All other mob groups look good but against these me and 10y vet are having a hard time. Is it intended that this dish out so much damage?
Alienor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #60
Kalmaraa

I been trying to get past the paredon master (1st named) in Zavith'loa: The Hidden Caldera (solo) to progress the quest line for some time now, each time I get him down to 25% then I get killed. I treid a few strats as well. The fist one was just to go full bore on him then second time was to try and take down the addes as they pop... though it's still pretty easy to get swamped in the latter case. Not sure if this is a bug or something i am missing. I am playing my main toon of a guardian, using lvl 100 mastercrafted gear, and a inquistor merc.
Kalmaraa is offline   Reply With Quote