EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > Class Discussion > Mage's Arcanum
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Mosha D'Khan

Loremaster
Mosha D'Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 440
Default

k i have finaly gotten my bruiser to 90 with 240AA and was now wonder which to start getting lvl up. i have a necro lvl 80 with 168AA and his epic, and i have a 81 wiz with like 150AA. which one is the better solo/group class and why? i raid on my bruiser so dont plan on raiding on either of these toons atm, but i would like to hear for the mage community since i have not played either toon for some time now (bro got wiz to 81 through BG lol)

__________________
Mosha D'Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
EvilAstroboy

Loremaster
EvilAstroboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 317
Default

Wizards do everything better than Necromancers. If you betray that Necro to a Conjurer it might be useful.

EvilAstroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com
Xalmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,895
Default

Necros are pretty awesome DPS when played right, and are vastly better soloers to boot.

__________________
EQ2Achieve - Your guide to all EverQuest II Achievements

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
Draag

General
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 103
Default

As a necro, you will have to work 2x as hard to get half as far as a wiz DPS wise.

Draag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
Vanilla1

Loremaster
Vanilla1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 131
Default

Or ...

You can stop worrying about parses, and just have fun with a great class that can Uber solo... and has alot of fun stuff like Feign Death , Tainted Heals, and cool looking pets....

I say .... NECRO ...ftw!

Vanilla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #6
Draag

General
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 103
Default

Parses are important to me (and lots of other people).  Lots of people dont play the game that way and there is nothing wrong with that.  If you care about DPS.. see above.

"Necros are pretty awesome DPS when played right" - Should read "Necros are pretty awesome DPS when GEARED right and have over 212AAs"

Draag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Minraja

Loremaster
Minraja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 93
Default

Draagun wrote:

Parses are important to me (and lots of other people).  Lots of people dont play the game that way and there is nothing wrong with that.  If you care about DPS.. see above.

"Necros are pretty awesome DPS when played right" - Should read "Necros are pretty awesome DPS when GEARED right and have over 212AAs"

I won't deny that gear plays a bigger factor then what some may lead on. But a necro that doesn't know [Removed for Content] s/he is doing won't parse no matter what gear s/he has....fact.

__________________




There is a war coming. I have seen it in my dreams. Bodies lined the streets. Cities turned to ruins. Norrath filled with ashes. Retaliation!
Minraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Garlin1

Loremaster
Garlin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 229
Default

Learn the class and necro will be great.  I out parse wizards with ease all the time.  It comes down to skill and sadly equipment will play a huge part.

__________________
Garlin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
Draag

General
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 103
Default

I have played a necro since launch (with huge breaks in playtime, admittedly).  I played a necro in eq1 since that game launched.

I am, right now, at 90 playing a necro and it is the easiest thing in the world.

When I first hit 90 I had crap gear, little AAs and my parses showed.  I would parse about 4-5k at 90.  Now, with a little gear and AAs and masterspells I parse about 10kzw and have hit 25k and would do more if I had "premium" support.  If I had better gear, I would parse even higher.

Point being, I didnt suddenly become some awesome necromancer by taking necromancing lessons.  I do more damage because of my gear, AAs, and spells.

Skill has very little to almost nothing to do with it.  You could put me on the best parsing necro and the worst parsing necros account and I would be parsing the same as them.

If you put me on a Wiz account, I would do the same DPS as them within a few hours.

There are only so many ways to hit the buttons.  Let's not try to make eq2 to be some sorta super hard super skilled game that only the most dexterous of Koreans can play.  Your DPS is about gear, AAs, and master spells and the class you play.  An equally geared wiz is gonna outparse a necro every single time unless he is sleeping - and even then, if his face happens to hit the right button when it slams into the keyboard, he still might outparse a necro.

Draag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
Minraja

Loremaster
Minraja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 93
Default

Draagun wrote:

I have played a necro since launch (with huge breaks in playtime, admittedly).  I played a necro in eq1 since that game launched.

I am, right now, at 90 playing a necro and it is the easiest thing in the world.

When I first hit 90 I had crap gear, little AAs and my parses showed.  I would parse about 4-5k at 90.  Now, with a little gear and AAs and masterspells I parse about 10kzw and have hit 25k and would do more if I had "premium" support.  If I had better gear, I would parse even higher.

Point being, I didnt suddenly become some awesome necromancer by taking necromancing lessons.  I do more damage because of my gear, AAs, and spells.

Skill has very little to almost nothing to do with it.  You could put me on the best parsing necro and the worst parsing necros account and I would be parsing the same as them.

If you put me on a Wiz account, I would do the same DPS as them within a few hours.

There are only so many ways to hit the buttons.  Let's not try to make eq2 to be some sorta super hard super skilled game that only the most dexterous of Koreans can play.  Your DPS is about gear, AAs, and master spells and the class you play.  An equally geared wiz is gonna outparse a necro every single time unless he is sleeping - and even then, if his face happens to hit the right button when it slams into the keyboard, he still might outparse a necro.

You sir/ma'am are wrong...

If you can't figure out why, then there is no helping you. There is a lot more involved then just gear and AAs. I digress, you are welcome to believe what you want.

__________________




There is a war coming. I have seen it in my dreams. Bodies lined the streets. Cities turned to ruins. Norrath filled with ashes. Retaliation!
Minraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
Garlin1

Loremaster
Garlin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 229
Default

Tons more then gear and AA, skill does play a huge factor for a necro, hell for any class at that. 

__________________
Garlin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
Eritius
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Fate by Blood
Rank: Commander

Loremaster
Eritius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 759
Default

I can definately say my necromancer does take more skill then what some indicate. There is still an optimal rotation you want to use, but its not super hard to figure out or takes inane amounts of dexterity to pull off. Just paying attention, reading what cooldowns there is and cast times, and above all, getting a feel for it. That last part no guide will tell you how to do, only experience.

The necromancer is one of those classes you have to get down and dirty with to figure out how to play well. Though that learning process alone is a blast to play and learn.

Eritius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Draag

General
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 103
Default

Drazala@Lucan DLere wrote:

Draagun wrote:

I have played a necro since launch (with huge breaks in playtime, admittedly).  I played a necro in eq1 since that game launched.

I am, right now, at 90 playing a necro and it is the easiest thing in the world.

When I first hit 90 I had crap gear, little AAs and my parses showed.  I would parse about 4-5k at 90.  Now, with a little gear and AAs and masterspells I parse about 10kzw and have hit 25k and would do more if I had "premium" support.  If I had better gear, I would parse even higher.

Point being, I didnt suddenly become some awesome necromancer by taking necromancing lessons.  I do more damage because of my gear, AAs, and spells.

Skill has very little to almost nothing to do with it.  You could put me on the best parsing necro and the worst parsing necros account and I would be parsing the same as them.

If you put me on a Wiz account, I would do the same DPS as them within a few hours.

There are only so many ways to hit the buttons.  Let's not try to make eq2 to be some sorta super hard super skilled game that only the most dexterous of Koreans can play.  Your DPS is about gear, AAs, and master spells and the class you play.  An equally geared wiz is gonna outparse a necro every single time unless he is sleeping - and even then, if his face happens to hit the right button when it slams into the keyboard, he still might outparse a necro.

You sir/ma'am are wrong...

If you can't figure out why, then there is no helping you. There is a lot more involved then just gear and AAs. I digress, you are welcome to believe what you want.

What part did I say was wrong?

Gear+AAs+spellsand group buffs) = DPS.

A naked Necro will never, never, never EVER out parse me.

A Necro with less AAs (no endlines) will never, never, never EVER out parse me.

A Necro that does not have master spells will never, never, never EVER out parse me.

A duplicate necro of me will not out parse me by any significant amount.  Ever. -- and this one, I can prove, because I spend a lot of time with training dummies.  There is no "super secret" order of spells that is going to make my necro hit 20k. - but with some better gear i would hit 20k easy.

So, what part am I wrong about agian?

Draag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
Minraja

Loremaster
Minraja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 93
Default

Gods I hope a naked person of any class can't beat you on a parse...though I'm not sure where in my post said that they could.

"There is no "super secret" order of spells that is going to make my necro hit 20k."

This is kind of mind set is where you are wrong.  The fact that you are so arrogant as to think that there isn't a better or more efficient casting order alone tells me you don't have a clue about our class. There is always room for improvement. Giving up like you have because you think a t1 dps is automatic win on the parse is sad imo. I have beaten many t1 dps zw that has equal gear without lifeburning. And before you say anything about buffs. The buffs are generally equal. Though sometimes I am put at a disadvantage due to the summoner hate stigma.That is the difference from a good summoner vs everyone else. There is a specific casting order to each situation. Knowing when and what spells to cue up when certain buffs are running and whether or not if the encounter has multiple targets changes things by alot.

My free advice to you is read up on the conjuror and necro forums on flames.

__________________




There is a war coming. I have seen it in my dreams. Bodies lined the streets. Cities turned to ruins. Norrath filled with ashes. Retaliation!
Minraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 AM   #15
Draag

General
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 103
Default

lol.

I top the parse plenty vs. t1 - they always have horrible gear/poor spells / little AA's or are eating a bag of chips.

I have been beaten on the parse plenty by non-T1 dps that have great gear and more AAs

Reading your posts makes me realize that I am dealing with someone that has no idea what this game is about.

Draag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
Minraja

Loremaster
Minraja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 93
Default

Draagun wrote:

lol.

I top the parse plenty vs. t1 - they always have horrible gear/poor spells / little AA's or are eating a bag of chips.

I have been beaten on the parse plenty by non-T1 dps that have great gear and more AAs

Reading your posts makes me realize that I am dealing with someone that has no idea what this game is about.

Oh? And you do? I find that hard to believe since you only play the game a few months at a time before quitting  for a year or two. Go back to being a horrible necro. Sadly, you won't be alone.

/shameless   Can I have your stuff?

Edit: I never get beaten by anything but t1 dps.

__________________




There is a war coming. I have seen it in my dreams. Bodies lined the streets. Cities turned to ruins. Norrath filled with ashes. Retaliation!
Minraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
TN

General
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2
Default

DPS has nothing to do with skill. Knowledge? Sure. Skill? No.
TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:15 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.