EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #781
EQPrime

Loremaster

I thought the topic of this thread was, "Alvane defends every move SoE makes". SMILEY

I didn't really think he was bashing your guild.  He was just saying the players in it are generally casual, and that some are opposed to EQ2x.  While you have never denied that anyone was upset over the recent changes to the game you keep insisting that your guild welcomes EQ2x players and that nobody has cancelled a sub over these changes.  This may well be true, but they way you word it makes it sound like everyone in the guild thinks the game is in great shape.

Right now most people in my guild enjoy raiding, but for many years we were as casual a guild as you could find.  I definitely appreciate both outlooks.  The fact is that when we had more casual players we didn't burn through content as quickly.  We weren't as demanding of new content from updates because we still had plenty to do.  We had some people spending time in other MMOs like WoW, Vanguard, SWG (before they destroyed it), and even Matrix Online.  In EQ2, during DoF for example, we used to run Poet's every night for the chance at masters or maybe some of the low end fabled gear that dropped in there.  If we had been killing more of the end game content at that time I doubt we would have been holding our breath that the leather pants would drop from the eyeball in there every night because our monk wanted them.  I didn't care so much about the mechanics of the game; all I needed to know was how to keep our monk alive to tank those zones.  There was certainly nothing wrong with that, and it's definitely a valid playstyle, however it is certainly not all the game has to offer.

Jumping to the present, while a more casual guild may have had no problem with the lack of content in GU57, many members in more aggressive guilds were quite upset.  For many people, instances are generally very easy this late in the expansion.  Aside from the Hole there isn't a whole lot of raid content left to beat, even for a casual raid force like ourselves.  We only raid 2-3 nights a week and during the other days people have gotten bored running the same easy instances and want something new to do.

We do not have many people at all who play other MMOs.  We have maybe one person who has an active WoW account and 4-5 of about 40+ active members who are trying out FFwhatevernumberitisnow.  Most people that I know who are more than casually involved in EQ2 do not play other MMOs; they are pretty loyal to one and most have been that way for a long time.

I thought Pervis' message was more to say that you're only seeing part of the story in your posts; I didn't think he was saying anything bad about your guild.

Arbre - Warden/Sage
Flippyfloppies - OP SK
Amplify - Troubadour

Slege
Mistmoore
EQPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #782
DivineEternalDreamer

Loremaster

Please return the ui to the pretty old blue ui and the tiny nice exp bar, and I do miss the nice exp bar on the persona window.

Give us back the old spell effect particles, and get rid of the station cash button on exp bar/merchant windows, and round hotkey buttons please.

I know where marketplace is, I'm broke but not an idiot, I don't want to be reminded about all of these items that I can't afford to buy everytime I buy items with the normal eq2 currency platinum ~

Why push real money transfer on those of us who can't afford it or don't want to take part in it? Exclusive items shouldn't be on the marketplace for live only for extended, can't we have a quest in game that allows us to get them instead of only being available with real money ??

Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons have the best free to play, by actually allowing you to earn Turbine Points and Favor points in game, while playing the game, what a concept I know. 

Please, I play EQ2, I don't buy items to avoid playing a video game, I like to earn my way and actually get nice items from questing.  Can't you allow us a way to earn station cash or get the same items questing??

Lord of the Rings did the same nonsense of ruining the character screen for free to play, but why did everquest 2 have to ruin the ui?

Contrary to your belief, free to play customers are not 95% blind, they don't need a jumbo station cash bar, and they don't need an ugly looking jumbo sized exp bar.  Why would free to play customers need jumbo sized ugly clunky ui's when paying customers have enjoyed the normal tiny ui for 5 or 6 years??

*grumbles and runs to a corner as she begins to cry missing her old ui*

DivineEternalDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #783
DivineEternalDreamer

Loremaster

Oh, and what ever happened to those pretty cleric symbols that popped up when they cast those reactives and other heals?

DivineEternalDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #784
Davish_Darkwolf

Loremaster

UI changes were completely unasked for and here i must say:   don't mess with Live Servers People,  we are the ones who have been supporting you guys since day 0

You STILL loose your key mappings everytime an update is made  -   this is annoying as hell and should have been permanently fixed ages ago

The new XP bar is simply HORRIBLE and the addiction of that big SC icon makes it even worse,  roll back please.

Keep old models as the default ones, this are our live servers, not the new ones and the majority of people prefer the old char models   (i dare to say  EQ2  together with my AOC character are my best "avatars" i ever did)

Appearance slots are buggy now:    i used macros to switch weapons, using appearance weapons in all of them and it worked great.

I used  1h and shield  +  1h and shield in appearance,   when i use my  2hander macro without appearance item,  now im wielding  a  2 hander with the looks of a  1h and shield.

Got it?  I want the looks of my 2 hander (appearance slot empty)  but since i was using 1 appearance item before (1h and shield)   it stays there   -   fix this please,   else i have to put another  2hander on appearance  to actually look like im wielding a 2hander

Confused?  So was i

Quick travel is welcome, but to change traveling in KOS to a portal-system was a big mistake.

Part of the fun on KOS was to actually feel the connection between floating isles, now you don't even know you got there in a cloud (like before) and don't even know what's below or above you.

I miss the old compass and clock as default, it was rather useful instead of the new terrible horrendous XP bar.

Speaking as a Zerker, i like my new buff animations, old ones were very similar to eachother, but more creativity could have been put here, a wild shout when going berserk, red-eyes glowing for a few secs, etc.

Mechanics speaking,  PvP  is still a complete mess, you guys seriously need more planning in terms of battlegrounds, exploits everywhere, time-tag-teams waiting for the clock to end, winning by camping their base, unkillable healers needing a raid on them to go down and last but not least,  Smugglers Den still a pain to receive 3 tokens   (change this to 6 a win, 2 a loss).

Since you are changing the philosophy of the game to attract more people,  learn from other  PvP game systems,  the 3 battlegrounds need some serious revamp,  both in strategy and mechanics.

New battlegrounds would be welcome too, as well as weapons for every playstyle  (2 handers/Round Shields  in  PvP  rewards...   were the hell are they)

All in all, a bleh  Update, with more to  rollback  than  welcome addictions.  Bug fixes are always welcome though.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #785
Vorlonxx

Loremaster

cant really start a new topic on this section, so i guess ill put it here.

with the new housing areas that were allowed, such as the oudside lands from your house such as south qeynos, tim deep, freeport, gorwyn, etc----you have all that area to use and decorate. problem is, the only way you can get out there and back in again is if you have a teleportation pad that if your skillfull enough, place it outside the main house somewhere in the land....and so on

so why is it this way? most people dont have tele pads and theres no quests to get them, so why not make the zone just as accessible as it is when walking upstairs in your house? why the need for teleportation pads to get back and forth?

i would think that if the areas are for use, there should be a way to get to and from without having to use a tele pad

Vorlonxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #786
Gungo

Loremaster

Vorlonxx wrote:

cant really start a new topic on this section, so i guess ill put it here.

with the new housing areas that were allowed, such as the oudside lands from your house such as south qeynos, tim deep, freeport, gorwyn, etc----you have all that area to use and decorate. problem is, the only way you can get out there and back in again is if you have a teleportation pad that if your skillfull enough, place it outside the main house somewhere in the land....and so on

so why is it this way? most people dont have tele pads and theres no quests to get them, so why not make the zone just as accessible as it is when walking upstairs in your house? why the need for teleportation pads to get back and forth?

i would think that if the areas are for use, there should be a way to get to and from without having to use a tele pad

Areas outside the Zone wall in the new houses are NOT officially supported. People fall through the world outside the zone wall. They do not have any intention of creating a giant world to decorate and adding in a bunch of collision walls that will add to rendering and zone lag for housing.

Hence they have no intention of removing the zone walls.

The fact people can teleport using the pads outside the allowed placable field is a bug. A bug that SOE currently has no intention of fixing and by default allow people to build thier homes outside the normal allowable field.Like everything else in life as soon as someone screws this up bad enough SOE will fix the bug.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #787
Alvane
Server: Unrest
Guild: Old Timer Guild

Loremaster

Vorlonxx wrote:

..... most people dont have tele pads and theres no quests to get them, so why not make the zone just as accessible as it is when walking upstairs in your house? why the need for teleportation pads to get back and forth?

1. You really have no idea how many people use teleport pads and how many don't have them.

2. I'm sure in some future event, you'll see teleport pads available as they have been for the past 3-4 events.

3. If you want to use outside areas, you have to use a minimum of two teleport pads. There are very clever ways to disguise use of them and people who design, love it. Just check out the possibilities in Norrathian Showcase thread in this forum.

Alvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #788
Prestissimo
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: The Evolution

Loremaster

They could easily solve the whole transportation system as a whole by simply allowing you to chose if you want to teleport or to fly. click the post or w/e to travel by flight, talk to the person to port. Those that want to get there fast and be done with it (like those doing fens for the umpteenth time) could do so and it would be any hair off anyone's back. Those that want to enjoy the artwork or want to jump off part way could do so. I honestly do not see how it could be that difficult to impliment such an option or at least no more difficult than redoing the transit system.

With flying mounts coming out though it will more or less give the option to those that wish to go explore all the art at leisure. It's just sad that the zones you want to travel very quickly in you can't, and the zones you don't really mind travelling slowly in get changed to portals.

Options are good.

As far as the animations.... tbh, I'd like to see the option to use one or the other. It's a graphical display being rendered on the client side, I don't really see how it would be that rediculously difficult to just have the server send a generic "display animation ####### or w/e and let the client side machine be the one that pulls that info from a locally stored library based on if you want display version 1 or 2. Kinda like how you can chose character models.

Also, why can't the UI just be left alone? Seriously theres a reason it can be customized and why the builder is included with the game, messing with the UI every single update is an EPIC pain in the @## for those of us that use any form of a customized UI. Is there a built in window for easy jcapping? No. Custom UI's accomplish this, and EVERY TIME you guys touch anything in the UI it seems that you manage to break these custom windows. It is getting REALLY frusterating and makes me want to not use Jcap on my troub just that much more.

Prestissimo is offline   Reply With Quote