EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #61
Kenrod

Loremaster

Seliri@Nagafen wrote:

I'm pretty sure if you did a gamewide poll, people would vote to revert.

But do you guys even have the courage to do that for such a thing as this? ;o

They don't need the courage to do it. It was never the intention, as they designed this in the dark, then we're told "here. it's better. Thanks for the feedback. lulz."

Hemophobe even said some were reverted to their former glory, but I am yet to hear tale of any of that happening. I've asked for it to be clarified in three different threads now, but naturally no one will say a word about it.

Kenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #62
Bleuu

Loremaster

Seliri@Nagafen wrote:

I'm pretty sure if you did a gamewide poll, people would vote to revert.

But do you guys even have the courage to do that for such a thing as this? ;o

Probably not, but you know what? If they did do a poll and the majority of the people actually LIKED the spell effects (which I seriously doubt), then maybe most of us could accept it. But they don't want to take the chance of seeing for their own eyes that very very few people are actually going to enjoy the new effects.

Bleuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #63
Alenna
Server: Guk
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

Ishida wrote:

Class: Inquisitor

Spell: All of them

Comment: Change them back to the OLD Effects, none of the new Spelleffects have any sort of Whoah-Effect.

They used to be distinct, i knew which one i cast by simply looking at them, now all of the heals and reactives look like one and the same Spells (i got them all on Expert, some Master). Every single Spell or CA is very underwhelming now.

Didnt even dare to logon my Warlock fearing his Spells would be as gimped as they are of the Inquisitor.

Sad sad Day considering the Spell Animations used to be one of the prime Reasons i picked the Game up again.

+1 the only thing that is left I love is the housing, appearnace slots and crafting oh and the community of friends I built. I"m not sure if htat is going ot be enough to keep me especially if my friends and guildmates decide to quit like some of htem are talking about doing.

I am on a month to month basis in my sub so SoE had better start listening to it's loyal customer base before it is too late

Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #64
Greyana
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Lost Legion

Defender

Give us an option to revert your changes. Some of us don't want to play stick figures online.

Greyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #65
Dreadpatch

Loremaster

Bleuu wrote:

I am so heartbroken over the changes that were made to my Coercer. I betrayed from an Illy because I didn't like the shiny, rainbow bubblegum effects. Now...I might as well have stayed an Illy. My main beef however...

Class: CoercerSpell/Combat Art Name: Destructive MindComment: As a Coercer, you know that your job is to eff with peoples minds. With the old Destructive Mind you would see a black whip surround your body while your character cringed and cried out. Now, all we get is some rainbow crap coming off our hands and head. WE'RE EVIL!! EVIL PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE RAINBOWS!!

Another MAJOR issue I have is that almost every single one of my main damage spells look exactly the same. All you see is a ranbow colored hexagon flash around the mobs head. For instance:

Asylum: http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/...=EQ2_000175.jpg

Spell Curse: http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/...=EQ2_000176.jpg

Hostage: http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/...=EQ2_000177.jpg

Brainshock: http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/...78.jpg&newest=1

Hemorrhage: http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/...=EQ2_000180.jpg

Why? Who felt the need to make every single one of these spells look exactly the same and so pathetic? There is absolutely nothing in regards to the spell effects that make this game enticing now.

DOUBLE RAINBOW!!!  WHAT DOES IT MEAN???  IT MEANS WE ALL GOT OUR SPELL ANIMATIONS NERFED FOOLS....

MY COERCER IS A SAD PANDA

GOOD NEWS, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BUY SC UPDATES FOR YOUR SPELLS AT A LATER DATE.  GET THOSE WALLETS OUT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

Alendril 90 Troubador 250 AA

Ribatio 90 Mystic 242 AA

Dreadpatch 90 Swashbuckler 171 AA

Delanar 70 Guardian

Blackghost 39 (BG) Assassin
Dreadpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #66
Khandor

Loremaster

Okay, I will actually admit my monk is actually cooler now than he was before. >.< Gonna test out my other chars too. But what I'm wondering is why wasn't the fluff spells and heroic opportunities not touched upon? Personally the Heroic opportunities could really use a graphical overhaul. they've been pretty plain since launch. I'd think that when a group does a heroic opportunity, the bigger the combo the bigger the graphical output of the combat.

My wizard's buffs are pretty lackluster too. Ro's blade is extremely lackluster and you can't even tell it's being applied. Iceshield is unusual with the ice cube graphic. I thought the ring of ice spikes better represented the ability.

Actually, almost all of my casters spells are lackluster, boring and practically non-existant. :/ Almost all of my illusionist attack spells look exactly the same.

**BUG**

When on my Illusionist if I cast bind sight on my pet, all other npc models in the game get this wierd orange human model standing on top of them

Khandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #67
Bleuu

Loremaster

Elusion@Nektulos wrote:

Bleuu wrote:

I am so heartbroken over the changes that were made to my Coercer. I betrayed from an Illy because I didn't like the shiny, rainbow bubblegum effects. Now...I might as well have stayed an Illy. My main beef however...

Class: CoercerSpell/Combat Art Name: Destructive MindComment: As a Coercer, you know that your job is to eff with peoples minds. With the old Destructive Mind you would see a black whip surround your body while your character cringed and cried out. Now, all we get is some rainbow crap coming off our hands and head. WE'RE EVIL!! EVIL PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE RAINBOWS!!

Another MAJOR issue I have is that almost every single one of my main damage spells look exactly the same. All you see is a ranbow colored hexagon flash around the mobs head. For instance:

Why? Who felt the need to make every single one of these spells look exactly the same and so pathetic? There is absolutely nothing in regards to the spell effects that make this game enticing now.

DOUBLE RAINBOW!!!  WHAT DOES IT MEAN???  IT MEANS WE ALL GOT OUR SPELL ANIMATIONS NERFED FOOLS....

GOOD NEWS, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BUY SC UPDATES FOR YOUR SPELLS AT A LATER DATE.  GET THOSE WALLETS OUT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

IT'S A FULL ON DOUBLE RAINBOW! ALL THE WAY!! And by 'Double Rainbow' I actually mean 'Middle Finger to Sony's Paying Customers'.

Oh, and is it just me but don't you think the way your toon casts some of these spells now it looks like they're squatting down to take a crap?

Bleuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #68
Kenrod

Loremaster

Bleuu wrote:

Elusion@Nektulos wrote:

Bleuu wrote:

IT'S A FULL ON DOUBLE RAINBOW! ALL THE WAY!! And by 'Double Rainbow' I actually mean 'Middle Finger to Sony's Paying Customers'.

Oh, and is it just me but don't you think the way your toon casts some of these spells now it looks like they're squatting down to take a crap?

When my inquisitor casts Alleviation (master) i grow weird black angel wings.

It's awesome.

/sarcasm

Kenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #69
Alenna
Guild: Defenders of the Light

Loremaster

Khandor wrote:

Okay, I will actually admit my monk is actually cooler now than he was before. >.< Gonna test out my other chars too. But what I'm wondering is why wasn't the fluff spells and heroic opportunities not touched upon? Personally the Heroic opportunities could really use a graphical overhaul. they've been pretty plain since launch. I'd think that when a group does a heroic opportunity, the bigger the combo the bigger the graphical output of the combat.

My wizard's buffs are pretty lackluster too. Ro's blade is extremely lackluster and you can't even tell it's being applied. Iceshield is unusual with the ice cube graphic. I thought the ring of ice spikes better represented the ability.

Coming next game update(ansering what I bolded)

I was afraid of that. RE: Wizard changes.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #70
Thundy

Loremaster

Class: CoercerSpell/Combat Art Name: Destructive MindComment: The old animation with the whipping particles is class-defining. To have changed it to the current version is a shame. Please change it back so we have some originality, and not rainbows. Frankly the changes you made to this class is heartbreaking.

Thundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #71
Geothe

Loremaster

Wow...I thought Game Updates were supposed to improve the game, not make it look worse.  Because these changes are definitely a step in the wrong direction.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #72
Crondizz

General

One of the things that has always made me love EQ2 over other games were the spell efx. The arcing lighting calling down a lighting bolt. That is sweet. Dont get me wrong I like the idea of making each class's spell efx different, and I hated throwing a white ball at people as my necros main spell direct damage spell, but the updated graphics are the worst I have seen on any game to date. I thought Vanguards spell graphics were really horrid compared to EQ2, now I feel like EQ2 has hands down the worst I have seen. I can see changing things like the ring around chanters, and the thorns from druids which laggs people out, but please give us the old spell effects back. im begging you. Please dont turn this games graphics into those of the worst and cheapest made FTP games.

Crondizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #73
Khandor

Loremaster

Geothe wrote:

Wow...I thought Game Updates were supposed to improve the game, not make it look worse.  Because these changes are definitely a step in the wrong direction.

They are when the community can actually share their opinion before things go live AND they are listened too. ;/

I say put -most- of the casters spells back the way they were and keep the monk stuff.

Khandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #74
EndevorX

Loremaster

Geothe wrote:

LOL. +1

EndevorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #75
vexrm

Loremaster

There is no cast animation for peace of mind.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #76
Amnerys

Community Team

From Hemophobe:

UPDATE:We are very sorry for the confusion, but it turns out that many of the fixes we made did not get loaded to Live as intended.  We will have all of these issues resolved and a Hot Fix will be implemented on Tuesday next week.We did listen to your feedback and we did make many of the changes you asked for.  Some of them made it in, and others did not.  Most obvioulsy the casting rings are missing, and some of the casting animations are still incorrect.  Again we apologize and we will get this resolved.  In the mean time please hold all feedback until after the next Hot Fix.  We will then revist your feedback and adjust them as needed for future game updates.Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Amnerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #77
Cloakentuna

Loremaster

I hate the new Coercer rainbow explosion crap.

Can I get my old animations/particles back?  I really liked the old ones on Destructive Mind and Spell Curse.  Now I just get a bunch of rainbow color explosions on myself or the mob I'm casting on.

Cloakentuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #78
Rqron

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

Hi everyone! EQII FX Artist Hemophobe would like some feedback from you:

We have updated, optimized and standardized every class spell visual in the game.  We have not touched AA, NPC, Pet and Entertainment spells yet, and plan to get to them in later game updates.Based on constructive feedback received from the Test Servers over the past few weeks we have made quite a few changes and we invite those that posted to take another look at your favorite spells.  At this time we cannot provide an option to use the old spell visuals simply because we don’t have the manpower to support two versions of every spell and combat art.  But don’t despair, we will continue to tweak the FX and animations based on player comments and these changes will be released with the next game update.  So if you find one of your favorite spells has been altered or removed please let us know and we will internally discuss whether or not a change is possible. Please use the form below to provide us with your helpful, courteous, and constructive feedback.Class:Spell/Combat Art Name:Comment:Thanks very much, and we will see you in the newly updated starting zones!

If you even for one second believe that it is fun as a wizard to have the clutter of Ice comet you must be smoking something, Why the heck could you not leave the one thing that was fine and working ALONE? It would have been far more productive if you would have used your energies and actually fixed the bugs in the system instead breaking the system...all I can say, I will give you guys until the next GU to fix it and if not 8 accounts in this family are gone with the wind....I have better things to do then waste my time and money with a company that does NOT listen and works hard to push the customer they do have away.

Rqron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #79
Efilnikufesin76

Loremaster

Oh please make them better, please please. I can deal with some of the other stuff in this update, but the current spell animations on my paladin are truly disappointing. I was actually excited to see how the new ones looked, to see what cool new animations they gave me, but ended up looking like a kid who on Christmas opened a gift containing pink bunny pajamas from his aunt Clara(think that was the name) instead of his desired BB gun.

Efilnikufesin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #80
Trevalon

Loremaster

I do not see much of a difference in my combat arts as a Warden...in fact I think some of them may have had more particles added to them (Though I think the fire ones look a little worse imo).

I will say the new Warden healing spells were pretty nifty and I really kinda like em.  The new leaves are very "druidy" and I kinda enjoyed them, I even kinda liked the weird symbols around the feet.

They do look more cartoony though, or at least alot more colorful.  I am not sure how well they fit into the EQ2 graphics but overall I like my new Warden.

On the other hand, I do NOT like my Coercer.  Hes extremely boring now.

Trevalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #81
EQPrime

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

We have updated, optimized and standardized every class spell visual in the game.  We have not touched AA, NPC, Pet and Entertainment spells yet, and plan to get to them in later game updates.Based on constructive feedback received from the Test Servers over the past few weeks we have made quite a few changes and we invite those that posted to take another look at your favorite spells.  At this time we cannot provide an option to use the old spell visuals simply because we don’t have the manpower to support two versions of every spell and combat art.  But don’t despair, we will continue to tweak the FX and animations based on player comments and these changes will be released with the next game update.  So if you find one of your favorite spells has been altered or removed please let us know and we will internally discuss whether or not a change is possible. Please use the form below to provide us with your helpful, courteous, and constructive feedback.Class:Spell/Combat Art Name:Comment:Thanks very much, and we will see you in the newly updated starting zones!

Templar

Holy Intercession & Vital Intercession

They need to have the sword/shield icon overhead.  It was the best animation in the game.  Same with the inquisitor reactives.  You should change these animations back the way they were.

Templar

Pretty much all spells

The sound effects are horrible and too high pitch.  Change them back to what they were.

Oh and in regards to, "At this time we cannot provide an option to use the old spell visuals simply because we don’t have the manpower to support two versions of every spell and combat art." I just have to laugh.  You already have the good animations.  There's no manpower required to create or maintain them.  New spells going forward can use your ugly new scheme.

Arbre - Warden/Sage
Flippyfloppies - OP SK
Amplify - Troubadour

Slege
Mistmoore
EQPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #82
Jaremai

Loremaster

I'm curious how the changes "based on feedback" made to Test didn't get pushed to Live.. does that mean the code that was.. tested.. was ignored, and the baseline code that went to Test to begin with is what got pushed to Live?

I hope your QA team brings pies to your dev team and slams them hard in the face.

This is unacceptible in any business, and would usually result in people getting fired.  I'm theorizing though that most of your dev team is interns now, so you can afford to keep them.

Jaremai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #83
DuneWarrior

Loremaster

Jaremai@Guk wrote:

I'm curious how the changes "based on feedback" made to Test didn't get pushed to Live.. does that mean the code that was.. tested.. was ignored, and the baseline code that went to Test to begin with is what got pushed to Live?

I hope your QA team brings pies to your dev team and slams them hard in the face.

This is unacceptible in any business, and would usually result in people getting fired.  I'm theorizing though that most of your dev team is interns now, so you can afford to keep them.

Glad they arent QA'ing in my business - victims of violent crimes - would be ... a horrible track record.

DuneWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #84
Aule

Loremaster

For spell casters, the cast animation hides the appearance of your primary / secondary until the animation completes. For melee arts this is not the cast. Why aren't primary / secondary slots showing when casting spells?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #85
Rick777

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

Look I know the devs are poor, hungry and work for a corporation that does not understand what its customers want.  But I gotta say, the new spell effects are HORRIBLE!  You 've taken a game that had a huge amout of character and went and made it a little kiddie game in the spell effects.

A perfect example is on my Templar the reactive spell effect of the sword and shield surrounding the targeted member, there was a lot of character to that spell graphic that made you "feel" like a templar putting a protection spell on someone.  Now it's just a lousy yellow sparkly, and yes this is for the master version of the spells (99% of my spells are master so I would assume I have the "best" particle effects).  Most of my other spells are the same, just a random colored effect with a different color, even the buffs.

I'd like to stay as constructive as possible, but I'm VERY bummed at the degradation of what used to be some awesome lore in the old spell effects.

Rick777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #86
S_M_I_T_E

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

Please use the form below to provide us with your helpful, courteous, and constructive feedback.Class:Spell/Combat Art Name:Comment:

Wizard

Ball of Fire

I like that it looks like a fireball going out toward your target.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wizard

All other spells

It's a shame you can't just "keep" the old spells on my client since my computer can handle the previous versions and the new ones belong on a 486 with 256MB of ram. 

S_M_I_T_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #87
Ciara52

Loremaster

I think most of the new animations are not well done.  However I would guess the Artist/Dev was given specific parameters to work with and may have done what he could with what he had.  Because a true artist will always do the best work they are able to do.  At least in my experience. 

But going from what I had last week to today  SMILEY SMILEY SMILEY  

Ciara52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #88
convict

Loremaster

Amnerys wrote:

From Hemophobe:

UPDATE:We are very sorry for the confusion, but it turns out that many of the fixes we made did not get loaded to Live as intended.  We will have all of these issues resolved and a Hot Fix will be implemented on Tuesday next week.We did listen to your feedback and we did make many of the changes you asked for.  Some of them made it in, and others did not.  Most obvioulsy the casting rings are missing, and some of the casting animations are still incorrect.  Again we apologize and we will get this resolved.  In the mean time please hold all feedback until after the next Hot Fix.  We will then revist your feedback and adjust them as needed for future game updates.Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Good try at a save at least.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #89
abcd

Lord

This is terrible!!!!! It reminds me of a generic WoW, the old spell/animations and sounds set this way apart from other mmo's with there generic sounds!!

The SK sounds and animations is horrible veryannnoying and cheap sounding , that constant ching noise or whatever it is, i think it is when the blue bubbles pop above the toons heads?? not sure but anyways terrible!!!

Please give the option of using the old sounds and animations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #90
Rangrid

Loremaster

I'm really disappointed that the animations for Vampire Bats were changed to generic summoning animations.  The levitation while casting made it one of the coolest spells, even other players would send me tells from time to time saying how they love that spell. 

Can we have the levitation back, pretty please?  It's a small thing, but it was so much fun!

Edit: And is there a way to mute your pet's heavy breathing without turning off your spell sounds?  =p

Rangrid is offline   Reply With Quote