EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #481
Brigh

Loremaster

Paladin: Ancient Wrath Now just a minor electrical event instead of WRATH. Paladin: Consecrate Although the original bowing down and electronic sounding what ever that was may not have been the best, the current effect certainly isn't better IMO. It looks more like you copied the conjuror's Earthquake cracked ground effect or the Void 'black hole' in the sky effect.

-Stephen Colbert

CoD3 double XP Rank Up promotion lesson for kids
Brigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #482
Eugam

Loremaster

Tock@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Cusashorn wrote:

Well, in my particular case, Feign Death gave better performance when it didn't have a spell effect at all. They actually made things worse by adding a spell effect to it. It just doesn't make any sense from any angle.

I'm 100% in agreement here.  Any spell effect added has to be appropriate for the ability being used.  Having any sort of effect, particle or otherwise, on a character feigning death looks odd, since you'd think that effect would be a dead give-away that they're faking it!

Idly, this same detail irked me when I discovered the current best feign-death tinkered device now has that particle-effect lasso loop around the fallen character when cast.  No reason for it to be there.  Seems to have been added as an afterthought just because the person putting the item together thought a little embelishment would be cool or whatever.  Not turning out to be the case, really.

Same for scout stealth. No visual effect required. Its stealth, not: hey, look i go into stealth SMILEY

Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #483
kAzuNGu

Loremaster

Class: Conjuror

Spell: Earthquake

Comment: While the ground opening up (is that what it is?) is a nice addition, the smaller size rocks are a disappointment. Earthquake used to shake the screen if I remember correctly and the big rocks fell from the sky, now they just sorta float around and are much much more benign looking. I would like to see Earthquake fx AND sound go back to exactly how they used to be before the revamp. Change is good, but changing something dearly loved by players is not so good. I'm for the revamp of some spell fx that did not do the job but I'm against just changing every frikking fx we have come to love and created toons just to have that one unique spell effect that used to make people go whoa!. I seriously doubt there is any "whoa" effect left after all the revamping.

On the Likert satisfaction scale I would give this revamp a rating of 1/5 (Very dissastisfied).

kAzuNGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:20 AM   #484
theriatis

Loremaster

Hi,

there's just one thing which boogles my mind after the Revamp.

Before the Revamp, my Wizard had a handful of different animations to get his spells up, eg.drawing standing circles left and right of him in the Air and putting them then on his side, drawing lying circles in front of him and pointing at the Mob or just throwing his Arms into the air...

And now, regardless of the Animation before, he ALWAYS (well, mostly always) the Animation endswith the Wizard pointing / throwing the spell in the direction of the Mob.

While this probably makes sense (throwing the Spell right at the Mob) it breaks the Animation. This"throwing" was meant only as a finishing animation for a special one before, together with everyother it looks just like... the Gesture is broken -.-

Regards, theriatis.

i need a good laugh now and then, too
theriatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #485
Apollonya

Loremaster

Paladin: All spells!

After some months of playing DC UO, I unpacked my good old EQ2 Characters and I'm so ... wow this is disappointing!

What happend to my paladin? She became a electrics technican? Most strikes are only "so slim you barely see them" lightnings? No more big blue smokeblasts from consecrate? Only some thin blue bolts in Castigate at Grandmaster? I really don't feel that mighty or holy wrathy anymore with my sparks throwing (that animation would have been much better on wizards lightning strike) warrioress, but in comparison they get that annoying humming sound you get to hear after almost any ability casting. That kills me alright, but not the mobs. To bad I can't disable just the spells sounds, they are unnerving!

Wizard: Most Spells

It's not all bad, but the spallcasting looks pretty alike regardless of what the wizard is casting. I miss the lasting Icespikes and stuff, the fire or ice glow is not bad but not as fun as the old flames and ice spikes/bumb on the mobs.

Apollonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #486
Talathion
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Cladire Mortii

Loremaster

Berserker:

Berserker Onslaught - make it a swinging animation infront of you.

Insolence - instead of the purple stuff, make it where you turn black and red and pulsate whenever your hit. (kind of like paw of opalla's animation)

Berserk Rage - Whenerver it procs make your body pulsate red/black.

War Cry - Whenever it procs make your body pulsate red/black.

Talathion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #487
Gungo

Loremaster

So on insolence you want to pulsate red/black and then the next two you complain about pulsating red/black? Um ya

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #488
Talathion

Loremaster

No I want berserk/insolence to make you go red/black.

I always thought it was berserkerish. (plus I like the sound it makes)

Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #489
drakkenshie

General

Templar damage spells are incredibly weak looking, and heals hard to identify during a fight.

A lot of spells are just plain dull and difficult to see.

The spells before the revamp I was able to tell what was going on.

I kept reading this was done for performance, but I had higher performance with the old ones, both grouping and in raids, so I still can't figure out why this was done.

I'd be happy with the new ones if they would just fix the ones that all look the same or are so weak it just looks like yellow string flying through the air. Honestly it often looks like your toon is peeing on the mob.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #490
Xenxex
Guild: Azure Skies

Loremaster

Can dirge's hips not shake when we cast hyrans? Infact could any and all hip shaking from dirges be removed? Atleast on the males, i always feel odd playing hyrans and watching my toon shake his hips.

Xenxex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #491
Talathion

Loremaster

Xenxex@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Can dirge's hips not shake when we cast hyrans? Infact could any and all hip shaking from dirges be removed? Atleast on the males, i always feel odd playing hyrans and watching my toon shake his hips.

lol

Old 07-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #492
Xenxex
Guild: Azure Skies

Loremaster

Hey thats serious bisnas! Its bad enough theirs little to no creativity in spelll effects as is. Last thing i want is to have my hips shaking when i am playing tunes. The dance animations are already embarrassing enough as a male toon.

Xenxex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #493
kAzuNGu

Loremaster

Read me Devs:

Ever since Hemophobe was interviewed a few months back and announced his "individual" plans for the spell fx revamp up until this minute, very very little positive feedback has been posted about these so called revamps. Why is he/SOE still going on with changing things when the CUSTOMER BASE is saying give us the old fx back? I say again, we are PAYING customers, our feedback for several months about this topic alone has gone largely unheard. Is this how you want to re-gain our confidence in the game? I think Hemophobe needs a different project to work on. How about fixing some year old mechanics problems? How about sifting through the forums and fix issues reported anywhere between 1-3 years ago?

We, the customer base, are saying we do not like the new spell fx and want our old "whoa effect" class defining fx back. To ignore thousands of calls to stop this nonsense that reduced EQ2 fx to cartoonish 2D barney style animations is just impssible to comprehend.

SOE DEVS, Hemophobe (with all due respect) you need to start listening to your customers more and to the voices in your heads less.

Yours angrily,

-An outraged conjuror.

kAzuNGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #494
Rick777

Loremaster

drakkenshield wrote:

Templar damage spells are incredibly weak looking, and heals hard to identify during a fight.

A lot of spells are just plain dull and difficult to see.

The spells before the revamp I was able to tell what was going on.

I kept reading this was done for performance, but I had higher performance with the old ones, both grouping and in raids, so I still can't figure out why this was done.

I'd be happy with the new ones if they would just fix the ones that all look the same or are so weak it just looks like yellow string flying through the air. Honestly it often looks like your toon is peeing on the mob.

I used to love my Templar spells before the crappy revamp.  Especially the sword/shield graphic with some of the reactives.  After feedback they did add a little bit back, but nowhere near as cool as they were before. Seems like it's pretty universal the negative reaction to the graphic changes.  The new spell effects are WEAK at best.

Rick777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #495
katalmach

Loremaster

I've already said so much on this subject, but here we go again... I would like to see the old Spirit of the Wolf graphic return. It used to be this cool, big blue wolf and now it's a tiny, ghostly and frankly pathetic looking wolf. I really don't get why SoW was changed in the first place, it looked GREAT and it could hardly have affected anybody's performance, since it's a spell you cast like once every 30 minutes, max.

Same goes for Pact of the Cheetah, it used to look great and really appropriate for a speed boost spell.. now, much like SoW, it looks pathetic and incredibly unimpressive. Please just revert these two spells to what they used to be.

katalmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #496
Rick777

Loremaster

Xenxex@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Lol, can I add that we remove the wimpy curtsey look when healers cast certain heals?  I'm always embarrassed that it looks like I'm doing a ballet move instead of healing someone.

Rick777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #497
Uryu

Loremaster

Could ranger get some kind of cool particle effect from the arrows? =)

Uryu is offline   Reply With Quote