EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #31
Mono

Loremaster

Gungo wrote:

Mono wrote:

is there a link or some info as to what is required to run in 3d. Do i need a new graphics card? or is it simply just the monitor and 3d glasses kit?

3d vision is a pretty big invenstment but for 3d vision works very well for eq2. You need a 120mz monitor (recommended) You need a newer Nvidia graphics card ( I beleive 200 series or higher)You need the glasses/Kit and additional glasses for whomever else wants to view it.

ok i have a geforce Gtx 275 i also have a 120mz mointor  can i use normal 3d glasses or does it have to be the nvidia ones that have the IR and charge capabilites?

Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
Alvane
Server: Unrest
Guild: Old Timer Guild

Loremaster

I have a IMac.... don't know what it has, but the EQ2 screen comes on and says NVidia so I guess I have it. Anyway, I have a 27" Imac and have seen no difference in visuals.

However, the IMAC is awesome - all colours are sharp and bright, there is no haziness to characters or surrounds. Refreshing is fast and one isn't even aware of moving from outdoors to indoors in other than something very normal looking - very smooth.

With my IMac I feel there is so much depth to anything, be it a movie or UTube or an online game, including EQ2, that I could just jump in and  join the scene!

I really don't know if this is what you are wanting or it's just because of my computer. But that's what I see.

Alvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #33
Mono

Loremaster

Alvane@Unrest wrote:

I have a IMac.... don't know what it has, but the EQ2 screen comes on and says NVidia so I guess I have it. Anyway, I have a 27" Imac and have seen no difference in visuals.

However, the IMAC is awesome - all colours are sharp and bright, there is no haziness to characters or surrounds. Refreshing is fast and one isn't even aware of moving from outdoors to indoors in other than something very normal looking - very smooth.

With my IMac I feel there is so much depth to anything, be it a movie or UTube or an online game, including EQ2, that I could just jump in and  join the scene!

I really don't know if this is what you are wanting or it's just because of my computer. But that's what I see.

Are you using 3d and the glasses? as you don't state you are or maybe i should be assuming you are? 

What i'm confused most about is if i specifically MUST use the nvidia glasses!

Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #34
Alvane
Server: Unrest
Guild: Old Timer Guild

Loremaster

Mono wrote:

Alvane@Unrest wrote:

Are you using 3d and the glasses? as you don't state you are or maybe i should be assuming you are? 

What i'm confused most about is if i specifically MUST use the nvidia glasses!

Glasses? I normally wear glasses anyhoo. However, it's impossible for me to wear 3D or Nvidia glasses on top of my normal glasses. I can't wear the behind the head headsets, neither since they interfere with my eye glasses. WISIWIG......

Alvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #35
Keikoku
Server: Permafrost

Loremaster

I enabled the Stereoscopic 3D today, and let me tell you, it blew me away.  I've got an Nvidia GTS250 vid card, and a monitor with 60Hz refresh rate.  I picked up a these 3D glasses.  And the game just looks amazing.  It really does add a whole new depth to it (pun intended).  However, I did have some issues.  First, if you enable it and change some settings, then disable, and re-enable, it doesn't save your settings (Convergence, separation, etc).  Secondly, with Convergence set to max, and Separation set to minimum, on some "far away" objects, the red/blue still don't form into one image.  Finally, the UI.  I'm certain this is probably because I'm using a custom UI, but it just doesn't "feel" right.  All in all, great effort, as it really does look fantastic.  Going to try it at raids tonight.

Keikoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #36
JoarAddam

Loremaster

the 120hz monitor is a stretch, wish i had one.  Will this work on lower refresh rates, just not as well?

You're Your

They're There Their
JoarAddam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #37
Keikoku

Loremaster

The 120Hz monitor is only needed if you're going to be using the shutter glasses, I believe.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #38
Rothgar

Developer

Thanks for the feedback!  We only really did the implementation with the 120hz monitor and active shutter glasses in mind.  I've never tried it using the colored glasses and honestly didn't know that it would even work.   If you only experienced a couple of issues with it, that's better than I would have hoped for. 

I agree that the 3D looks great with the active shutter glasses.  I have an Alienware 23" monitor at home and the NVIDIA 3D vision kit.  It's really fun to play in 3D.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #39
Neihn
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Seraphim of the Storm

Loremaster

That is correct a 120hz monitor is only needed if you are going to use the stereoscopic shutter glasses from nvidia. You can use the basic anaglyph glasses (red/blue lens) to get a taste of the 3D experience on any monitor.

I personally tried out 3D first on a 60hz monitor to see if it was something i would like and was actually impressed enough to upgrade my monitor and get the Nvidia 3D vision kit. Keep in mind though that when using the anaglyph glasses they are not perfect and you will see some issues as others have pointed out such as the convergence not being perfect. When you use the actual vision kit its much better and allows more control.

Neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #40
Gungo

Loremaster

You guys make me want to spend $500+ on the Nvidia 3d vision kit and a 100mhz monitor so bad =(

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #41
Detor

Loremaster

I wish the 3D controls worked with iz3D.  iz3D lets ATI users have 3D, and it even supports side by side so if you have a 3D TV you could play EQ2 on a 55" 3D display.  

Detor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #42
Detor

Loremaster

Neihn@Kithicor wrote:

That is correct a 120hz monitor is only needed if you are going to use the stereoscopic shutter glasses from nvidia. You can use the basic anaglyph glasses (red/blue lens) to get a taste of the 3D experience on any monitor.

I personally tried out 3D first on a 60hz monitor to see if it was something i would like and was actually impressed enough to upgrade my monitor and get the Nvidia 3D vision kit. Keep in mind though that when using the anaglyph glasses they are not perfect and you will see some issues as others have pointed out such as the convergence not being perfect. When you use the actual vision kit its much better and allows more control.

I've tried the red/blue before and quite honestly a true 3D display (be it a 20" 120Hz computer monitor or a 55" 3D TV doing 3D through side-by-side or frame packing) blows red/blue out of the water.  In depth, color, everything really.  Red/blue used to give me horrible headaches too.

Detor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #43
Keikoku

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!  We only really did the implementation with the 120hz monitor and active shutter glasses in mind.  I've never tried it using the colored glasses and honestly didn't know that it would even work.   If you only experienced a couple of issues with it, that's better than I would have hoped for. 

I agree that the 3D looks great with the active shutter glasses.  I have an Alienware 23" monitor at home and the NVIDIA 3D vision kit.  It's really fun to play in 3D.

Is this a feature that EQ2 is going to continue to support?  If so, will the anaglyph glasses be taken into account as well?  Not everyone can afford the kit +  a new monitor.  But if it's going to continue to be supported, then one might save up for it.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #44
Zutan

Loremaster

At the very least allow us to retry the CoV if it fails.. It should only start the 1hr timer if the teleport/summon actually works.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #45
Palleon

Loremaster

Zutan wrote:

At the very least allow us to retry the CoV if it fails.. It should only start the 1hr timer if the teleport/summon actually works.

What a random comment to throw into a 3d vision topic! SMILEY

Palleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #46
Lakn

Loremaster

Will this feature continue to get any attention?  I am using it now and love it.  But there are some serious eyestrain issues in some places, but when it works it is amazing.

The 3D Software cursor does not work in the new dungeon, it is always on the UI screen.  Some of the armor sets do not work and really look bad.

I was just wondering if this was something that was being taken seriously or was just cursorly being mentioned?  If seriously being looked at I will continue to post problems, if not I gues it will just wither on the vine.

Lakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #47
Neihn
Server: Kithicor
Guild: Seraphim of the Storm

Loremaster

Detor wrote:

Neihn@Kithicor wrote:

I've tried the red/blue before and quite honestly a true 3D display (be it a 20" 120Hz computer monitor or a 55" 3D TV doing 3D through side-by-side or frame packing) blows red/blue out of the water.  In depth, color, everything really.  Red/blue used to give me horrible headaches too.

Thats why i said use it to get a taste. You definently dont want to use it full time. As you said it does tend to cause headaches and the convergence of the red/blue is not correct. But it does give you a taste of what EQ2 is like in 3D. The 3D vision kit is far and away better.

Neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #48
Sikbik

Lord

so i have a 120hz monitor, the nvidia glasses, and the drivers to support it, but it doesnt seem to be working

when i enable the option for stereoscopic 3d in options, and hit accept, it does nothing, when i go back into options it will sometimes still be checked, but most of the time it goes unchecked, i don't know why its not working I have full screen enabled and have everything required. I have an 8800gtx and it says on the nvidia site that the video card is supported for the nvidia3d vision kit. When i tried putting this option on a year ago it seemed to work and everything went red/blue and such, but nothing now when i finally got everything required.

Azure Skies
Sikbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #49
Emlar_from_Halas

Loremaster

Double check that your Infra Red emitter is turned on (the green light should become brighter)If not push it, to turn it on.

Also, at one point, for an unknown reason, I had the infra red emitter driver removed and I had to reinstall it from the CD.Are demo images provided on install CD visible in 3D ?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #50
Uwopo
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Vertigo

Loremaster

Sikbik wrote:

so i have a 120hz monitor, the nvidia glasses, and the drivers to support it, but it doesnt seem to be working

when i enable the option for stereoscopic 3d in options, and hit accept, it does nothing, when i go back into options it will sometimes still be checked, but most of the time it goes unchecked, i don't know why its not working I have full screen enabled and have everything required. I have an 8800gtx and it says on the nvidia site that the video card is supported for the nvidia3d vision kit. When i tried putting this option on a year ago it seemed to work and everything went red/blue and such, but nothing now when i finally got everything required.

Make sure run the 3D Vision setup wizard in the NVIDIA Control Panel.  There's also two parts to the drivers.  The NVIDIA graphics drivers have a 3D Vision component and you'll also need the drivers for your IR transmitter.

Uwopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #51
MkayDota

Loremaster

I use nvidia 3D in EQ2. It's my favorite game for 3D, and I've tried dozens to see which is most enjoyable. The scale of the zones works great for 3D. Alas, there are problems and I sincerely hope they are addressed. Water is almost always whacky (waterfalls are borderline seizure-enducing) and the transition of the cursor from game world to UI isn't precise or clear. If you guys hammered out all these small (and I imagine relatively easy to fix) issues, EQ2 would have essentially perfect 3D. As it is, I can see why some people wouldn't use it at all, even if they own the system required. It's such a shame that you're soooo close to EQ2 being perfect in 3D yet appear to not be making attempts at perfecting it.
MkayDota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #52
Kimber
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Rapture

Loremaster

I hate to put a damper on this and while I am sure its really cool and a nice feature to add.

I would think that fixing the game would be more of a priority than adding things such as this at this point in time.  If you are wondering what I am talking about please direct your attention to other parts of the boards here such as General Game Play, Class forums, Items and Equipment, PvP, BG's, and just about any other section not in the Developer Corner.

Thank You.

I am sorry if this derails this topic but since we cannot seem to get Red names to post in other sections other than the SOE Mod I can only guess that they read this stuff not other parts ( very much that is )  Would have made my own topic but well I cannot on this board.  Made one in Testing and Feedback got Zero Red name responce even if it would just be a we are looking at it or nope will not happen or hey good idea lets discuss it some more.

Guild Sickpuppies
Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:08 AM   #53
Peogia

Loremaster

Kimber@Nagafen wrote:

I hate to put a damper on this and while I am sure its really cool and a nice feature to add.

I would think that fixing the game would be more of a priority than adding things such as this at this point in time.  If you are wondering what I am talking about please direct your attention to other parts of the boards here such as General Game Play, Class forums, Items and Equipment, PvP, BG's, and just about any other section not in the Developer Corner.

Thank You.

I am sorry if this derails this topic but since we cannot seem to get Red names to post in other sections other than the SOE Mod I can only guess that they read this stuff not other parts ( very much that is )  Would have made my own topic but well I cannot on this board.  Made one in Testing and Feedback got Zero Red name responce even if it would just be a we are looking at it or nope will not happen or hey good idea lets discuss it some more.

In my opinion a graphics engine fix/up grade is far more important then this

Would really love to see rendering done on the gpu

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by its security partner, http://www.dcwg.org , that will inform them whether they're infected and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.
Peogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #54
Gungo

Loremaster

I think both are important for different reasons.

I hope the devs realized the single thing that held eq2 back at release and continues to be one of the main detriments is the lack of performance optimization this game has. At release practically no one could play this game. Now common systems allow people to play on balanced with normal to low frame rates but the game is still poorly optimized and one of the main strengths of the game a highly realistic and detailed game is lost on many consumers who simply cant play it.

The 3D vision is a marketing fad if fixed which shouldnt take much effort and with the current technology and push for 3D and the fact eq2 is one of the BETTER looking 3d games. It is a good free marketing push for them to use at game cons and shows.  

Old 06-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #55
Kimber
Guild: Rapture

Loremaster

Good points Gungo

Like you said it should take min effort though so I would hope that some of the other issues the game has numours which are listed threw out the forums might get attention a little faster.  New customers are great but when they log in and play threw the game on thier way up to 90 and start to see poor itemization due to a recent consolidation of stats, and broken game mechanics they will wonder why they play. 

Yes many of us stay even though aspects of the game are broken however a good part of that is because we are invested.  A new player with less than 6 months in the game would not hesitate to walk away.  Look at AoC at release many things were broken or just plain not there.  New players walked away..........

Guild Sickpuppies
Kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #56
Gungo

Loremaster

Egh it tales time before a new player realizes itemization is messed up. it takes time for them to even understand itemization.

The main issues people stop playing is poor performance, lack of players(solo quest), they dont find the game fun (totally subjective though), and pure utter confusion on what to do.

The confusion part should mostly be fixed with thier linear design, eq2i, and if they can get more players online to help those cofused poor fools, making the game fun is fixed by making the game have various different  elements so it can attract as many different type of players as possible, poor performance is due to bad optimizations on code which NEEDs to be fixed. Fix those and players will come to the game. Stuff like 3d just gives them something else so they can push to the gaming mags. Especially if the current trend holds and 3d becomes more practical then hype.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #57
Alex66

Loremaster

I used to play EQ2 in stereo 3d (nVidia 3d vision) for about a year, and it was very enjoyable - the game is one of the best MMOs in s3d (WoW and Aion are better though).  However, since fall 2011 3d vision has become unplayable in EQ2 - severe ghosting on character models and fps dive to 5-7 when stereo driver is enabled.  I use latest nVidia drivers.  I raised this issue in Support forum section, but SoE rep replied that he did not have hardware to test EQ2 in stereo 3d.  I wrote support ticket and got same response.  Is SoE supporting this feature at all, or it is among things that get advertized like shaders 3 to be later discarded?

Alex66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #58
Dorsan
Guild: Onyx

Loremaster

I have 1 complaint and 2 feature requests for this. Complaint: 1) The minimum separation setting is still too high. Feature requests: 1) There should be an autofocus checkbox so that the convergence is always set to your character. 2) It would be nice to be able to set a custom color transform matrix for the anaglyph version. (A 4x3 matrix both for left and right would be nice).
Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #59
Alex66

Loremaster

Dorsan - you don't have the weird halo-triple ghosting issue with player models in-game?  I cannot play the game in stereo 3d because of this - see link to screenshot below, and was wondering if its the problem with my computer/drivers etc...

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D69184..._8090241_238552

Alex66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #60
Dorsan
Guild: Onyx

Loremaster

No, I don't have that, but man that looks bad.