EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

 

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #61
g4nd4lf

Loremaster
g4nd4lf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 219
Default

Maximizing profit with absolutely minimum expenses seams to be SOE's future strategy for EQ2.

Whoever dreamed that less complexity, simpler game mechanics, a degraded itemization and introducing battlegrounds to a 95% PVE-minded playerbase are good for this game must be living in a different universe, far far away from Norrath and its residents.

The producer's letter content reflects (frighteningly direct) the current state of EQ2.

g4nd4lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #62
dawy

Loremaster
dawy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,373
Default

Roxxi@Valor wrote:

Maximizing profit with absolutely minimum expenses seams to be SOE's future strategy for EQ2.

Whoever dreamed that less complexity, simpler game mechanics, a degraded itemization and introducing battlegrounds to a 95% PVE-minded playerbase are good for this game must be living in a different universe, far far away from Norrath and its residents.

The producer's letter content reflects (frighteningly direct) the current state of EQ2.

Hard to disagree with you.

dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #63
Destria
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Saints and Sinners
Rank: Hero (Recruit)

Loremaster
Destria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 194
Default

If theres one thing I've learned over the years in EQ2

Streamlining=simplification=dumbing down...and now....well, i prefer not to think about it.  I have too many friends here and have no desire to pull my sub....but there are months I wonder~is it really worth renewing....

The producer's letter overall is FAIL on epic proportions, even though I am sure that other then Kiara, noone's going to read this, especially Brenlo.  The letter itself said how much he didn't care what we think or want.

__________________
Destria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #64
Terron

Loremaster
Terron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Reading, England
Posts: 2,309
Default

More items, more spells, more AA’s and we hope lots more fun.

Items don't interest me greatly.

Genuinely new spells will be good, but I am expecting two per class (including the epic weapon one), with the rest just being upgrades.

More AAs will be good. I capped my main at 80/200 last month.

But I am worried that you didn't mention the most important aspect for me - new quests. Do you think players aren't interested in them. Do you not think they are a vital part of EverQUEST?

For me the epic weapon (mythical or fabled) were most important as quests that gave decent rewards, and took a fair amount of work and cooperation. They inspired players to work together a lot.

Halas is not going out with the expansion

I don't mind. I am not a new player. The existing areas were good enough to get me playing.

we are proud to open up the Pre-Season of EQII Battlegrounds

YAWN. Battlegrounds is obviously aimed at attracting a different type of player to me. So long as I can ignore it then I don't have a problem with it either.

the new Chaos Armor during the pre-season, which might be the best looking armor we have added to the game.

If it is you had better add a way to get similar looking armour without using PvP (or station cash). I have my doubts since the general trend has been in the opposite direction.

For those who feel their mythical was devalued, I offer my apologies.

Thanks. I have an illusionist and do think the power regen from his mythical is too powerful. On the other hand my guard's mythical ability is so weak is effect is barely noticable. My swashie's is OK. I haven't found a circumstance when my fury's mythical clicky is useful. Unless some of the weker abilities are strengthened I suspect some classes will have no good reason to do their epic quests in future.

Next Tuesday is the retail head start

I hope to be downloading it (I am in the UK) but had a problem ordering it yesterday.

we are turning on Bonus XP from now until the servers come down for the update Tuesday morning.   I hope you all login and enjoy.

I'd enjoy it more if you's give us a way to turn off bonus xp for our own toons. Advancement is if anything too fast normally. I'd rather you let me enjoy working to progress for longer.

__________________




















Terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #65
Ter

General
Ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 107
Default

Purr wrote:

Why all the nerfing tosome myths and power regen, why stat consolidation, quest reworks in the old zones. I have not heard anybody complaining they weren't streamlined enough. Stop dumbing things down, please!

Purr~

Test Server = priceless

I'll bite and complain then. Leveling up sucks. It's great for the first 20ish levels if you're evil since you have both TD and Darklight to do (Gfay I guess is ok but not good). After that it gets progressively worse and I hate having to do enchanted lands, zek and ferrott. I mean sure it's great killing the tallon field cooks in zek for two hours just to get the last spice type since they're not smart loot and have like 3 spawn points total. After those it gets better again with the revamped everfrost and lavastorm, but then again downhill until you get to kunark.

I do however think they're focusing this content revamping on the wrong zones and tiers. I'd like to see something done about the zones mentioned before, and also it would be nice to get an alternative to DoF instead of another newbie zone. Halas also misses the mark, I would've liked it much more if it was introduced as an alternative to any tier other than the 1-20 one.

Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #66
Gladiolus

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 873
Default

Never mind that chocolate bar we promised, here's a turnip, it's better for you.

Gladiolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #67
Terron

Loremaster
Terron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Reading, England
Posts: 2,309
Default

Teron wrote:

Leveling up sucks.

Levelling up is the best part of the game.

Its a bit too fast in the first 20 levels, and never really slows down enough until level 70+.

It's great that there are a choice of zones at every level, so that you don't need to bother with bits you don't like.

The biggest problem is that with people zooming though levels so fast it is hard to get groups for the dungeons, though the chronomancer has helped quite a bit.

__________________




















Terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #68
Hamervelder

Loremaster
Hamervelder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,585
Default

  Kiara wrote:

Mustang8259 wrote:

P.S: As a side-note I agree whole-heartedly with Elhonas... Shame on you Brenlo for leaving your Community Manager out to dry like that while she reassured us New Halas was coming, you owe her a personal apology as far as I see it =/  And the rest of your loyal fan-base some better communication with both us AND her, obviously someone got left out of "the loop" somewhere along here...

Whilst I do appreciate the sentiment, Brenlo did not leave me hanging.  Halas *IS* coming.  The fact that I wasn't at liberty to tell you in advance of Brenlo's announcement that it was delayed is certainly not his fault, and is simply one of the occupational hazards of being a community manager and bound by rules.

I know that folks aren't pleased by the delay, but truly, from what I've seen so far, it's going to be well worth it   I've already packed my bags and am ready to move there!

With all due respect, Kiara....

In this thread on 1/26/10, you said, and I quote, "...SF and GU 55 are still going to patch to the servers on February 16th..."This answer was in response to people assuming that New Halas would, in fact, be delayed.  The message that you conveyed was that New Halas would not be delayed.  Replies by posters, and your replies to them, led players to believe that New Halas would indeed be part of GU55, as planned.  The very next day, Brenlo contradicted that, and stated that New Halas would be delayed until GU56.  Supposedly.

What you either A - are not grasping, or B - are ignoring, is the fact that you said one thing, and that Brenlo said another.  If you can't tell people the truth, then don't say anything at all.  Whether purposefully or not, you and Brenlo led us (the players) to believe something that wasn't true.  I place the blame mostly on Brenlo, because at the end of the day, he's the one making the decisions.

Further, you're again either ignoring or not grasping why people are upset.  Let me say it, again:  People are upset because you all chose to include battlegrounds, rather than New Halas, and you waited until people were having a fit to say anything at all.  You guys have been having to beg and bribe people to help test your battlegrounds, which tells me and quite a few of my friends that very few people are interested in this colossal waste of time.  As has been said before, there wasn't enough interest in PvP to keep two servers open; you had to merge Venekor and Nagafen.  Yet, for some reason that even the most rational of us can't figure out, Brenlo and Co. decided to add more PvP to GU55!

Wonder of wonders, people are upset by this decision!  It's not so much that New Halas is delayed, it's that New Halas was delayed while you all work on this nonsense called Battlegrounds.  Sure, you'll get a few people on the forums who will reply and say that they're interested in battlegrounds.  But you're having to bribe people to help test them.  That's important, and that bears repeating.  You're having to bribe people to help test battlegrounds.  If battlegrounds become anything more than an occasional pastime for folks between groups or raids, then I'll be shocked.  I fully expect them to be barren and unused within a few weeks, just like the arenas have been for years.

Brenlo: When are you going to start listening?  I'm sorry to have to be so frank, but your producer's letter this month apparently hasn't fooled many of us.  You should have simply admitted the truth:  You made some bad decisions over the course of SF development, and you have caused a whole lot of people to be pretty upset.  When are you going to grasp the concept that the majority of your playerbase obviously does not care about PvP?  You should have dedicated your resources to something that's going to be more widely used than a glorified arena.

My feedback for today:  Can we have Gallenite back yet?  The game has gone downhill since he left.

__________________
Elhonas

Warden of Mayhem, Antonia Bayle
Hamervelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #69
Ter

General
Ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 107
Default

Terron@Splitpaw wrote:

Teron wrote:

Leveling up sucks.

Levelling up is the best part of the game.

Its a bit too fast in the first 20 levels, and never really slows down enough until level 70+.

It's great that there are a choice of zones at every level, so that you don't need to bother with bits you don't like.

The biggest problem is that with people zooming though levels so fast it is hard to get groups for the dungeons, though the chronomancer has helped quite a bit.

Leveling characters is much fun, as long as you feel you're actually making progress. The part I don't like is when you're stuck with doing bad quest A or bad quest B, and you have to do them in order to progress the questlines. This is why I would like to see some more revamps, to get rid of these bottleneck quests that take much time and are neither hard nor interesting.

Ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #70
Armironhead
Server: Vox

Loremaster
Armironhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,194
Default

Destria@Antonia Bayle wrote:

If theres one thing I've learned over the years in EQ2

Streamlining=simplification=dumbing down...and now....well, i prefer not to think about it.  I have too many friends here and have no desire to pull my sub....but there are months I wonder~is it really worth renewing....

The producer's letter overall is FAIL on epic proportions, even though I am sure that other then Kiara, noone's going to read this, especially Brenlo.  The letter itself said how much he didn't care what we think or want.

For a while now soe has been simplfying this game as it clearly doesnt feel that eq2 is a proper target for its limited resources.  SO what we have been seeing imo is alot of hype designed to throw sand in our eyes while they produce little or no real new content.  The last gu was typical -- what we actually get? 3 new fp quests that were completed in 15 min?  The current expansion seems to follow the same pattern.  Worse, the content that they are pushing (the bgs) is badly broken.  Really, its a shame.  

__________________
Armironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #71
Dareena
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: Dark Prophecy
Rank: Member

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,074
Default

Elhonas@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Further, you're again either ignoring or not grasping why people are upset.  Let me say it, again:  People are upset because you all chose to include battlegrounds, rather than New Halas, and you waited until people were having a fit to say anything at all.  You guys have been having to beg and bribe people to help test your battlegrounds, which tells me and quite a few of my friends that very few people are interested in this colossal waste of time.  As has been said before, there wasn't enough interest in PvP to keep two servers open; you had to merge Venekor and Nagafen.  Yet, for some reason that even the most rational of us can't figure out, Brenlo and Co. decided to add more PvP to GU55!

Wonder of wonders, people are upset by this decision!  It's not so much that New Halas is delayed, it's that New Halas was delayed while you all work on this nonsense called Battlegrounds.  Sure, you'll get a few people on the forums who will reply and say that they're interested in battlegrounds.  But you're having to bribe people to help test them.  That's important, and that bears repeating.  You're having to bribe people to help test battlegrounds.  If battlegrounds become anything more than an occasional pastime for folks between groups or raids, then I'll be shocked.  I fully expect them to be barren and unused within a few weeks, just like the arenas have been for years. 

I completely understand the gripes about Halas.  It was one of the selling points of the expansion.  Let's go ahead and try to make a minimal effort to market EQ2 in the hopes of drawing in new players.  Going hand in hand with this, we're releasing a new starter area so that the new players can play with existing players who have made new alts.  Now we're going to delay Halas while having still made our vague marketing pitch.  Wait a minute...

Having said that, I've actually heard a lot of positive comments about the Battlegrounds.  Purely consentual PvP only when ever you're in the mood for it is an attractive thing.  Playing in a Battleground isn't anything like playing in a true PvP server.  In fact, many of the PvP'ers on the boards are hacked off about the Battlegrounds since they're yet another place for their server members to hide while avoiding over land PvP.  The main market share that this is being pitched to is the PvE crowd.  Many PvE'ers have expressed interest in the concept, but at the same time don't have any real knowledge about it.

So why did the Battlegrounds not get properly tested?  Let's see.  There was only a short time window for a rush job on the testing.  Many times the Battlegrounds were just down as the devs tried to iron out the numerous bugs.  (Therefore people on Test couldn't even test them a lot of the time.)  As if this isn't enough, you could only try them out on Test.  What the heck?  Most of us average players haven't downloaded the Test server and sacrificed another portion of our hard drives.  Then even once you've downloaded the Test server, you either have to make a new character or have to try and fiddle with the whole test copy system.  In previous times, getting a character added via test copy often takes 1-5 days.  So when a player has to keep all of this in mind, just how inclined are they going to be to go into the Battlegrounds?

If you added some way for Live servers to log into the Battlegrounds with minimal difficulty, then these would have seen a lot more traffic.  But under the current implimentation, it's not surprising that they were mostly ghost towns.

Even now, there's still some general confussion about them.  Do these instances actually use the PvP server rules set?  (I believe the answer if Yes.)  But if they are, then how could the capture the flag runners blur through the zone even when other people engaged them in combat?  (If I've understand correctly, the rules set is actually a hybrid between PvP and PvE.)  What kind of rewards are there from doing the Battlegrounds?  Is this new source of gear actually useful in PvE?  How often can a person participate in these Battlegrounds?  Etc etc.

People really just don't know what's going on.  While SOE has tried to include links on the start up EQ2 menu, people haven't read them.  Then even when they are read, there are still a lot of unanswered questions.  This is going to lead to a lot of confussion and chaos once they go Live.  But unless something radically changed, we've reached the point of no return and everyone is just going to have to deal with the fall out of the Battlegrounds.  Whatever it may be.

Dareena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #72
Dasein

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,847
Default

Battlegrounds would have been perfect to release about half-way through SF, to give people new content and new play options to tide them through until the next epansion is released. If the devs could have devoted a full LU cycle to just testing BGs, andthen released them once the population has likely made its ay through most of the SF content, I think they could have been very successful.

Releasing them along with the expansion, and at the percieved expense of Halas will likely doom them to failure. In the near future, people will be far more focused on levelling up and playign through SF to care about Battlegrounds, and so interest in them at lauch will likely be minimal. This means they will be seen as a failure, and the devs will likely forget about them, trying to find the next gimick to interest players.

All of this points to poor prioritization and developers that are genrally out of touch with what players want. By all accounts, SF is just as bad, if not worse than TSO when it comes to the cure game, yet the over-reliance on detrimentals and the trnasformation of healers into curers was one of the biggest complaints about TSO. It is these sorts of decisions that lead me to beleive that whomever is calling the shots on design decisions has no clue what players want and no understanding of how to make an enjoyable game. Perhaps it's time to shake things up and bring in some fresh thinking instead of recycling the same people who have made the same mistakes over and over.

__________________
Troll Lord Casywdian
Dasein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #73
ShinGoku

Loremaster
ShinGoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 627
Default

Dareena@Lucan DLere wrote:

Elhonas@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Further, you're again either ignoring or not grasping why people are upset.  Let me say it, again:  People are upset because you all chose to include battlegrounds, rather than New Halas, and you waited until people were having a fit to say anything at all.  You guys have been having to beg and bribe people to help test your battlegrounds, which tells me and quite a few of my friends that very few people are interested in this colossal waste of time.  As has been said before, there wasn't enough interest in PvP to keep two servers open; you had to merge Venekor and Nagafen.  Yet, for some reason that even the most rational of us can't figure out, Brenlo and Co. decided to add more PvP to GU55!

Wonder of wonders, people are upset by this decision!  It's not so much that New Halas is delayed, it's that New Halas was delayed while you all work on this nonsense called Battlegrounds.  Sure, you'll get a few people on the forums who will reply and say that they're interested in battlegrounds.  But you're having to bribe people to help test them.  That's important, and that bears repeating.  You're having to bribe people to help test battlegrounds.  If battlegrounds become anything more than an occasional pastime for folks between groups or raids, then I'll be shocked.  I fully expect them to be barren and unused within a few weeks, just like the arenas have been for years. 

I completely understand the gripes about Halas.  It was one of the selling points of the expansion.  Let's go ahead and try to make a minimal effort to market EQ2 in the hopes of drawing in new players.  Going hand in hand with this, we're releasing a new starter area so that the new players can play with existing players who have made new alts.  Now we're going to delay Halas while having still made our vague marketing pitch.  Wait a minute...

Having said that, I've actually heard a lot of positive comments about the Battlegrounds.  Purely consentual PvP only when ever you're in the mood for it is an attractive thing.  Playing in a Battleground isn't anything like playing in a true PvP server.  In fact, many of the PvP'ers on the boards are hacked off about the Battlegrounds since they're yet another place for their server members to hide while avoiding over land PvP.  The main market share that this is being pitched to is the PvE crowd.  Many PvE'ers have expressed interest in the concept, but at the same time don't have any real knowledge about it.

So why did the Battlegrounds not get properly tested?  Let's see.  There was only a short time window for a rush job on the testing.  Many times the Battlegrounds were just down as the devs tried to iron out the numerous bugs.  (Therefore people on Test couldn't even test them a lot of the time.)  As if this isn't enough, you could only try them out on Test.  What the heck?  Most of us average players haven't downloaded the Test server and sacrificed another portion of our hard drives.  Then even once you've downloaded the Test server, you either have to make a new character or have to try and fiddle with the whole test copy system.  In previous times, getting a character added via test copy often takes 1-5 days.  So when a player has to keep all of this in mind, just how inclined are they going to be to go into the Battlegrounds?

If you added some way for Live servers to log into the Battlegrounds with minimal difficulty, then these would have seen a lot more traffic.  But under the current implimentation, it's not surprising that they were mostly ghost towns.

Even now, there's still some general confussion about them.  Do these instances actually use the PvP server rules set?  (I believe the answer if Yes.)  But if they are, then how could the capture the flag runners blur through the zone even when other people engaged them in combat?  (If I've understand correctly, the rules set is actually a hybrid between PvP and PvE.)  What kind of rewards are there from doing the Battlegrounds?  Is this new source of gear actually useful in PvE?  How often can a person participate in these Battlegrounds?  Etc etc.

People really just don't know what's going on.  While SOE has tried to include links on the start up EQ2 menu, people haven't read them.  Then even when they are read, there are still a lot of unanswered questions.  This is going to lead to a lot of confussion and chaos once they go Live.  But unless something radically changed, we've reached the point of no return and everyone is just going to have to deal with the fall out of the Battlegrounds.  Whatever it may be.

The upshot of the battlegrounds rewards are this:  Nothing of consequence to a PVE player.  Thats right, you can get tokens with which to buy more pvp armor for the battlegrounds but that is all. 

Great huh?  The perfect compliment to my PVE experience.  I love nothing more after a hard day at work than zoning into a bunch of kids desperate to measure "epeens" with ubah damagez and leetness ad nausium.

ShinGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #74
Juravael

Loremaster
Juravael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 997
Default

What's the old saying... If you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all?

I have nothing to say.

Juravael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #75
Arbreth

Loremaster
Arbreth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 604
Default

I do not care at all about Battlegrounds (despite my attempt at positiveness to my people) and I would not go in there without people I trust on BOTH sides. I also wonder at the release first of a part of the game clearly intended for those that are over 80 - this would have been more appropriate later when there are characters that are over 80 and looking for something different to do.

The comment about New Halas bothers be, I knew from Beta that it was not coming on time and it was agony to listen to my people looking forward to it and not be able to say anything due to the NDA.  That information should have been OFFICIALLY released to the general community as soon as the decision was made, not months later.  Also, Halas Reborn??  You changed the date of the release and named the Update.  Now it would make sense that the release of New Halas would be in Halas Reborn, but the letter indicates that these were two different things that are being brought together.  Maybe I read too much into it, but he did say with and not as.  So are we looking at a mid-May date or early September?  Granted, I am hoping it will be as grand as promised and I would love for the polish to be perfect, though now my expectations have gone up - considerably.

I am one of those unfortunate four whose Mythical is getting nerfed.  So not only am I going to be driven crazy by trying to cure obsessively, but I am not going to have any power to do it.  I love being a Mystic, and I love keeping my tank and my group up, but I do not love being totally exhausted after a single hunt.  I thought the point was to make the mobs more challenging, or the zones themselves?  Tossing us at ever more insane fights with less ability to win those fights is not fun.  Nor is it fun to need an absolute to win.

Streamlining leveling?  Dear gods no more rocket XP, please.  I already limit how much I play on bonus weekends and I have reset my characters to level as slow as possible.  Still, I gray out content before before I get to finish it, yes I could go chrono, but I should not have to spend weeks like that to do stuff that was not even picked up extra. 

Now, the AA changes, I can live with those, some of the new choices are meh, but someone else might like them.  Quests?  There are lots of quests in the expansion, for the upper levels, for those that are not, go look at some of the changes that I presume are actually GU55 (still not sure what exactly is in GU55).

The crafting stuff is AWESOME.  I swear I am building a shrine to Domino in our craft hall...

Arbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #76
Terron

Loremaster
Terron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Reading, England
Posts: 2,309
Default

Teron wrote:

Leveling characters is much fun, as long as you feel you're actually making progress. The part I don't like is when you're stuck with doing bad quest A or bad quest B, and you have to do them in order to progress the questlines. This is why I would like to see some more revamps, to get rid of these bottleneck quests that take much time and are neither hard nor interesting.

I can't think of any bad quest. Just because a quest can not be finished quickly does not make it bad.

You can always go and do a different quest to keep progressing.

Getting rid of quests is a bad idea. Some quests take a long time. That makes the feeling you get when you complete them all the better. If would be horrible if all quests were short.

RoK could have done with more long quests.

__________________




















Terron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #77
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster
Tyrus Dracofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,274
Default

wish Meanbeard and Blackbeard would come back to help with Eq2, they were the first ones were let go.

mythical items get nerfed? typical, just like every expansion i had dreaded, all get nerfed, everytime we get something good and get weaker and more lame when the expansion released, that did have the trends, go check those posts starting with DoF just before they get released, see how many players got upset, that nothing new.

only things i look forward, house items are cool.

i dreaded each time and that make my characters feel way too [Removed for Content] by nerfages when each expansion released, so i dont know til i see real package, i dont go to test server to make feedback yet. Testing and Playing are not samething

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #78
Jeepned2

Loremaster
Jeepned2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 595
Default

"For those who feel their mythical was devalued, I offer my apologies."

Yes I do and not excepted. To say this turns me off even more on doing any real long quests (questlines) is an understatement. Why spend all the time getting something just to have SoE crap on it down the road? At the time, all the effort was well worth the reward. Now? Looking back I would have still had to do it because it was the end all weapon required for raiding. Btw the term "devalued" is an understatement. When you invest 10 billion dollars and get 1 million back, well you aren't broke, but you sure got screwed somewhere along the way. 

Jeepned2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #79
CorpseGoddess

Loremaster
CorpseGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,774
Default

Terron@Splitpaw wrote:

Teron wrote:

Leveling characters is much fun, as long as you feel you're actually making progress. The part I don't like is when you're stuck with doing bad quest A or bad quest B, and you have to do them in order to progress the questlines. This is why I would like to see some more revamps, to get rid of these bottleneck quests that take much time and are neither hard nor interesting.

I can't think of any bad quest. Just because a quest can not be finished quickly does not make it bad.

You can always go and do a different quest to keep progressing.

Getting rid of quests is a bad idea. Some quests take a long time. That makes the feeling you get when you complete them all the better. If would be horrible if all quests were short.

RoK could have done with more long quests.

You can't think of any bad quests?  Okay, I'll help you.

I just recently pushed my way through to gain the Eidolon achievement (all areas explored, all quest amounts met) for all the zones in Norrath.  The quests in Antonica and the Thundering Steppes made me want to throw my computer off my balcony.

I'm not arguing with you here, I'm serious.  Go do 50 quests in Antonica, even at 80 with a mount, and then come back and tell me there are no bad quests.

__________________
CorpseGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #80
Rahatmattata

Loremaster
Rahatmattata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,232
Default

I've had a few level locked characters that did all the quests I could find in Antonica, and Qeynos Sewers, and book quests that you buy from an NPC at level 15. I found it entertaining. Nothing made me want to throw my computer out the window or punch my monitor or slam my keyboard or chuck my mouse against the wall or anything like that. Maybe doing gray solo errands just isn't fun for you? Can't say I blame you.

I can't comment on Thunderring Steppes because by the time I get to T3 I stay in dungeons and that is the end of my running solo errands for helpless NPCs.

__________________


A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #81
teddyboy4

General
teddyboy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 299
Default

Content frequency and overall quality seems to have taken a nose-dive. Communication, at least from the Executive Producer has been virtually non-existent, and recent decisions lead me to think that Brenlo has absolutely no idea what the EQ2 community wants from the game, or the reason we are here instead of playing other games. Please allow me to elaborate....

Battlegrounds? Seriously? I play EQ2 b/c I like the game it is, I do not want to play a WoW clone, if I did, I would move our $15 a month over there, so please, for the love of The Nameless stop trying to make EQ2 more "WoWish", YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ATTRACT NEW PLAYERS, ONLY LOSE THE ONES YOU HAVE!

Communication, at least from our "Executive Producer" Brenlo has been absolutely atrocious. Kiara and her community team, as well as the Lore Devs, and other departments' Devs have managed to make it to the forums to answer important questions and have done a great job of just "being there", but not Brenlo... I mean, I know it isn't exactly the Executive Producers job to troll the forums, but it would be nice to see Brenlo popping in and actually discussing things, instead of just speaking at us.

Just to cite an example on communication, who can remember the HUGE to-do when the community found out about "the key" loot card from the latest LoN set? The community at-large was on the forums practically begging for someone to come and explain the situation....did he do that? Kinda. He came into the thread @ page 24 and left a totally smug, and condescending reply that pretty much just said (and I totally am paraphrasing and reinterprettng here) "we 'technically' didn't lie with what we've said before about LoN, you don't NEED this stuff and we don't care about how all of you percieve this addition or feel about it. Now I'm going back to my time off, so go pee up a tree". That thread went on for another 122 pages, 146 pages in all, of comments from players about how displeased they were with this situation...I guess we'll find out if he really listened to his player base regarding this issue when we find out what this next LoN release has in-store for us.

And to top everything off, the Live Updates have become farther apart, and seem to have less in them since he last change in leadership

Now that all that is said, I'm sure there are contributing factors to all of these problems, team-size reduction, etc., but who do we hold responsible if not the Executive Producer? I'm just saying....

__________________
teddyboy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #82
Brook

Tester
Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,336
Default

Streppoch@Guk wrote:

Terron@Splitpaw wrote:

Teron wrote:

Leveling characters is much fun, as long as you feel you're actually making progress. The part I don't like is when you're stuck with doing bad quest A or bad quest B, and you have to do them in order to progress the questlines. This is why I would like to see some more revamps, to get rid of these bottleneck quests that take much time and are neither hard nor interesting.

I can't think of any bad quest. Just because a quest can not be finished quickly does not make it bad.

You can always go and do a different quest to keep progressing.

Getting rid of quests is a bad idea. Some quests take a long time. That makes the feeling you get when you complete them all the better. If would be horrible if all quests were short.

RoK could have done with more long quests.

You can't think of any bad quests?  Okay, I'll help you.

I just recently pushed my way through to gain the Eidolon achievement (all areas explored, all quest amounts met) for all the zones in Norrath.  The quests in Antonica and the Thundering Steppes made me want to throw my computer off my balcony.

I'm not arguing with you here, I'm serious.  Go do 50 quests in Antonica, even at 80 with a mount, and then come back and tell me there are no bad quests.

I suppose it would get boring as hell doing that at level 80 considering how trivialized the content is then. That's not a game design fault, that's a players choice. Try doing it at level instead and see if the experience is the same.

Grats btw on the cloak, its quite an accomplishment.

__________________
But seriously, you're the kind of guy that zones into gears without a healer and spends the whole match talking about the fact there isn't a healer instead of contributing. I hate you, and everyone like you that plays this game. Please spend less time whining and more time winning, it contributes to the general growth of the game and makes gameplay more enjoyable for all.

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #83
CorpseGoddess

Loremaster
CorpseGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,774
Default

Brook wrote:

Streppoch@Guk wrote:

Terron@Splitpaw wrote:

Teron wrote:

Leveling characters is much fun, as long as you feel you're actually making progress. The part I don't like is when you're stuck with doing bad quest A or bad quest B, and you have to do them in order to progress the questlines. This is why I would like to see some more revamps, to get rid of these bottleneck quests that take much time and are neither hard nor interesting.

I can't think of any bad quest. Just because a quest can not be finished quickly does not make it bad.

You can always go and do a different quest to keep progressing.

Getting rid of quests is a bad idea. Some quests take a long time. That makes the feeling you get when you complete them all the better. If would be horrible if all quests were short.

RoK could have done with more long quests.

You can't think of any bad quests?  Okay, I'll help you.

I just recently pushed my way through to gain the Eidolon achievement (all areas explored, all quest amounts met) for all the zones in Norrath.  The quests in Antonica and the Thundering Steppes made me want to throw my computer off my balcony.

I'm not arguing with you here, I'm serious.  Go do 50 quests in Antonica, even at 80 with a mount, and then come back and tell me there are no bad quests.

I suppose it would get boring as hell doing that at level 80 considering how trivialized the content is then. That's not a game design fault, that's a players choice. Try doing it at level instead and see if the experience is the same.

Grats btw on the cloak, its quite an accomplishment.

Thanks!  I was quite proud of myself, actually.   And I guess I should explain a bit more...

I love doing quests.  LOVE them.  However, I found the ones in Antonica specifically very poorly crafted.  You basically had to traverse the whole zone (sometimes several times a quest) which just felt like a time sink rather than part of the quest itself.  Maybe it was because I was doing more recent ones compared to some of the very first ones, but the older zone quests just felt outdated and forced.  Like they had to keep us busy for a long time because there wasn't much else.

__________________
CorpseGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #84
Zkinea

Loremaster
Zkinea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 21
Default

I don't post often in these forums but I read them alot. Most times I try not to let the feedback on changes get me down because I prefer to see for myself how the changes effect my personal gameplay and the gameplay of my guild. But after reading this producer letter, I feel that I must comment.

I am a veteran EQ2 player who has been with the game since launch. Never before have I been filled with such dread and  disappointment about the state of the game and the release of a new expansion. I had always felt that the EQ2 developers listened to their community and made improvements to the game along the way that made the game more and more enjoyable. But frankly over the last year or so I have seen more and more of a disconnect between the community and the developers. I understand economics and the need to make a profit but the path you continue to go down will not increase your playerbase but in fact turn off your loyal players of 6 years and in the end you will lose.

Devaluing the mythical which many including our guild worked so hard for is a slap in the face which no apologies will make up for. We did not buy our mythicals nor did we sell mythical spots. As one of the leaders of a casual family guild it was not easy to equip our members with mythicals. Some may think this a whine but it is rather a statement of fact. Frankly it was SOE who made the mythical so important in the first place and now they want to change it. At the very least make the spell obtained through the questline have two different levels- one for those with the fabled weapon and a slightly more powerful one for those who with the mythical weapon. 

There are many other promises that continue to be broken but telling us that the late release of this expansion would allow you extra development time so you can put out a more polished product on time only to hear from the beta testers that there are so many things broken and buggy and that Halas has to be pushed back to later in the year and even an ill tested  Battlegrounds release (which frankly doesnt interest me or many others from the looks of this thread) is just about the last straw.

 I hope that I will be pleasantly surprised by this expansion and regret writing this letter but I fear that wont be the case. This game has been such a great game over the years it is truly sad to watch this.

__________________
Zkinea formally of Najena now Unrest

Zkinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #85
Anestacia

Loremaster
Anestacia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,171
Default

Zkinea@Najena wrote:

I don't post often in these forums but I read them alot. Most times I try not to let the feedback on changes get me down because I prefer to see for myself how the changes effect my personal gameplay and the gameplay of my guild. But after reading this producer letter, I feel that I must comment.

I am a veteran EQ2 player who has been with the game since launch. Never before have I been filled with such dread and  disappointment about the state of the game and the release of a new expansion. I had always felt that the EQ2 developers listened to their community and made improvements to the game along the way that made the game more and more enjoyable. But frankly over the last year or so I have seen more and more of a disconnect between the community and the developers. I understand economics and the need to make a profit but the path you continue to go down will not increase your playerbase but in fact turn off your loyal players of 6 years and in the end you will lose.

Devaluing the mythical which many including our guild worked so hard for is a slap in the face which no apologies will make up for. We did not buy our mythicals nor did we sell mythical spots. As one of the leaders of a casual family guild it was not easy to equip our members with mythicals. Some may think this a whine but it is rather a statement of fact. Frankly it was SOE who made the mythical so important in the first place and now they want to change it. At the very least make the spell obtained through the questline have two different levels- one for those with the fabled weapon and a slightly more powerful one for those who with the mythical weapon. 

There are many other promises that continue to be broken but telling us that the late release of this expansion would allow you extra development time so you can put out a more polished product on time only to hear from the beta testers that there are so many things broken and buggy and that Halas has to be pushed back to later in the year and even an ill tested  Battlegrounds release (which frankly doesnt interest me or many others from the looks of this thread) is just about the last straw.

 I hope that I will be pleasantly surprised by this expansion and regret writing this letter but I fear that wont be the case. This game has been such a great game over the years it is truly sad to watch this.

^ summed up just about everything I had to say.

__________________
Anestacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #86
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus
Rank: Tirones

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,240
Default

Zkinea@Najena wrote:

 At the very least make the spell obtained through the questline have two different levels- one for those with the fabled weapon and a slightly more powerful one for those who with the mythical weapon. 

I know it isnt nice, but this would be a disastrous decision.. It would mean that new characters and players would be pretty much permanently nerfed in comparison to those who had levelled up before this, as in a years time your chance of getting those raids done is going to  be zero. You just have to accept that you got them for the purpose of using them at the time, you had them but they were a tier 9 thing, and the clicky spell is frankly just something to remmeber it by.

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #87
Travleer33

Guardian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 43
Default

I agree that the mythical nerfs are lazy, crude, ill conceived, and poorly justified.

there is at best mild interest in BG's.

Spend some of that money we pay you on a dev team.

Travleer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 AM   #88
Toxek
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Destined Faith
Rank: Senior Member - 120k Status

Loremaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16
Default

Hello I am looking for a "What Bugs the most 2010" post? if there is one? if not please start one. thanks

Toxek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #89
ShinGoku

Loremaster
ShinGoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 627
Default

ebon hawk wrote:

Hello I am looking for a "What Bugs the most 2010" post? if there is one? if not please start one. thanks

Polls ftw!  In beta we testers were asked for our feedback regarding several things.  I will note the 2 most important ones.

One poll asked what did you enjoy the most.  There were 42 posted comments over 3 pages.

One poll asked what you liked the least and there were 100 posted comments over 7 pages.

What does this tell us peeps?

ShinGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #90
Animul

Lord
Animul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 75
Default

ShinGoku wrote:

ebon hawk wrote:

Hello I am looking for a "What Bugs the most 2010" post? if there is one? if not please start one. thanks

Polls ftw!  In beta we testers were asked for our feedback regarding several things.  I will note the 2 most important ones.

One poll asked what did you enjoy the most.  There were 42 posted comments over 3 pages.

One poll asked what you liked the least and there were 100 posted comments over 7 pages.

What does this tell us peeps?

The reason it was like that is because of the selections we were given. They seemed to have purposely left out AA changes and Stat changes/mechanics, this was pointed out very early on when the poll started by many different people yet ignored completely.

 What does that tell you?

Animul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:46 PM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All threads and posts originally from the EQ2 and Station forums operated by Sony Online Entertainment. Their use is by express written permission.