EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #31
Hamervelder

Loremaster

ShinGoku wrote:

I'm not going to rant and rage about anything to be honest, I said at the time I thought battlegrounds were a lame idea and they are IMO.

There aren't a shortage of players testing them, there are a shortage of players who care about them.

I will never understand how the 2 official pvp servers get merged due to lack of players and then they put in a feature that is all about the pvp.  /boggles.

I've been wondering the same thing, ever since battlegrounds were announced.  There's no way to say this nicely: The decision to develop battlegrounds, in spite of an obvious lack of people who care about PvP, was pretty stupid.  I lay that on the producer's shoulders, just as I lay the failure to be honest with people about Halas' delay on his shoulders.  Can we have Gallenite back now?

Warden of Mayhem, Antonia Bayle
Hamervelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #32
Maroger

Loremaster

Well this is some of the best art in the game. Paineel is beautiful. So Kudos to the art team for that.

As for rest of the expansion, I fear it will be as popular as TSO. There hasn't been a good expansion since Scott Hartmann left the game. Putting this expansion in Odus ( one of the dumpiest areas in EQ1) is a big let down since after all the bit about the Order of Rime, a lot of folks thought Velious was coming. That makes ODUS a BIG LET DOWN.

As for the Battleground I don't remember hearing a a loud cry for them -- I guess that explains why no one want to test them - no interest in them. I think it would have better to put in Halas than Battle grounds.

Actually this letter had very little to say and I am nor surprised considering the expansion that is coming out. I think the change to major stats was unwarranted -- why change the meaning of the stats 6 years after the game has come out? It doesn't make any sense.

I wish there would not be such an emphasis on levelling. A lot players like to enjoy the game, the quests, the lore etc. I just hit 80 with 2 characters and I have been playing since it came out. But I am in no area - I don't want to rush to 90 - actually I plan to stay 80 and work AA's doing other quests stuff like that. 

I will grind my TS up to 90 though but not my adventure levels.

Maroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
Terg
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Oathsworn

Loremaster

Ok, I just want to point something out here.

When open Beta was announced there were A LOT of people who wanted to play.

When Battlegrounds was announced per Brenlo

Quote:

With this release, we are proud to open up the Pre-Season of EQII Battlegrounds.  Three zones will be available, each with a different playstyle.  They will have progression and items and we hope add a whole new element of fun to the game.   Unfortunately we didn’t quite get as many players as we had hoped on the server to give it a proper test, so we are going to use this pre-season phase to iron out any kinks and tweak the balance a bit more beyond the testing phase.  When we are ready, we will begin Season 1 and the mayhem will begin in earnest.  You will be able to work towards the new Chaos Armor during the pre-season, which might be the best looking armor we have added to the game. 

I have to assume there is a LACK of interest in PVP.. Sure, there are a few people I've talked to that think this is a novel idea, ie. Something to do for fun while waiting for a group. But if people aren't even willing to test it out, guess what? Those people who are wanting to play Battlegrounds while waiting for a group are going to be, well, waiting for a group for Battlegrounds as well.

We JUST had a consolidation of the PVP servers. I read during that time there were a LACK of PVP players on the PVP servers which justified the merge. Why then make a push for PVP on the PVE servers? I can't for the life of me figure that one out. I know the justification now is "If you don't want to play Battlegrounds, don't." I understand this mentality. However, just the fact that there was a lack of people willing to TEST out the system leads me to believe there is a general LACK of interest in the system to begin with.

My feedback is this. Please scrap Battlegrounds now. There is enough people who don't want it on their PVE servers. If people want to PVP they allow a one time free transfer to the PVP servers. That will allow those who want to PVP to PVP. I am very very concerned that too much of our Developers time/resources were wrapped up on this new feature that the full potential of the actual PVE content of The Sentinal's Fate will be lacking, not fully tested and will not fulfill its potential.

My ideas to handle this:

1) Scrap Battlegrounds. (Ok, if you REALLY have to have it, then make it future Live Update/Game Update after its FULLY tested and really ready for public consumption)

2) Fully fix the itemization for The Sentinal's Fate with relation to the potential resists not being balanced.

3) Ensure that all the instances and Raid content are tested and polished so we don't have to spend the next month play testing the content.

4) Push back the release date for a few weeks to ensure the above 3 points are met solidly. Of course there will be people who will be upset that the expansion was pushed back, but from what I've seen in my years of playing EQ2, the fustration of the player base is MUCH more when forced to play in an expansion that is not fully complete or lacking due to lack of play testing.

I hope that was constructive enough as my intent was NOT to ruffle feathers but make it known that, at least from my point of view, that pushing back the release date for this expansion would be much better then releaseing an expansion that is not finished.

Thanks to all the Developers and SOE staff for all the hard work that HAS been put into this expansion, I just want to see it in its FULL potential!

Terg 80 Zerk Butcherblock

Terg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #34
dawy

Loremaster

Mustang8259 wrote:

So yah here's some feedback and i'll try really, really hard to be as nice as I can cause I have to say as a veteran of EQII from the start and of EQI before that, and having been in SF beta myself i'm very pessimistic on how this is all gonna play out, but anyway time to pick this apart...

Happy Valentine’s Day All!

Happy Valentines to SOE as well! (i'm not completely heartless although this post is gonna be a bit critical of you guys =P Sorry in advance)

Here we are, perched on the precipice of another big launch for our beloved game, EQII.  Next week is a big week for us and for you, the players of this grand game.  You will finally be able to log into the new areas of Odus and explore, level and play in the new area that the team has spent nearly a year putting together.  Characters can now advance to level 90 as adventurers and tradeskillers.  More items, more spells, more AA’s and we hope lots more fun.

Nearly a year and i'm dumbfounded by the lack of Overland area (and yes I know Odus was never big even in EQI) that you find yourself going through.  I know Kunark is a larger continent to begin with, but trying to keep in the general idea of how smooth progression and leveling was through Kunark I was really expecting something more along the lines of its size and progression with some more group content (which Kunark lacked between Karnor's and Sebilis) added in...  It seems like the greater majority of time was spent on group content, raid area, and the battlegrounds, with less emphasis on actually getting from 80-90, this expo almost gives me the feel of treadmilling similar to the off-expansions (the ones where our adventurer level doesn't increase) like TSO, and less like the spacious expansions we've come to know, where the level caps have increased =/

As many have noticed, Halas is not going out with the expansion, many have asked why and the reasoning is twofold.  We have three pretty decent starting areas already.  Darklight, Greater Faydark and Timorous Deep.  We know they are not perfect and so the team has done considerable work in reworking those areas, streamlining the progress path to make for a better experience.  We believe that you will find the experience in those zones to be far better than it had been.  So, we went to work on higher level content for this launch, which we have with the expansion content and the new Battlegrounds. 

I have to agree with a prior poster that if you really want to tweak starting areas you need to go back to the Island Outposts for FP and Q rather than making more and messing with the new(er) ones.  I have 24 toons, one of each class, and never have I found a problem with progression through DL, GF, TD, or even the Butcherblock area, why mess with BB?  And it's sad that release was pushed back to get MORE in, and it seems like we're getting LESS out of it...

Additionally we really want new Halas to be something special.  We want more time to polish the area and make sure the progression path is fun and smooth.  We also hope to get kilts in there.  Currently we are looking to have Halas out with the Halas Reborn update later in the year.

Is New Halas, not to even mention shaders 3.0, gonna turn into another Kurn's Tower? Where we read its coming with or around the release of the expansion and yet we never see it until a year or so later?

With this release, we are proud to open up the Pre-Season of EQII Battlegrounds.  Three zones will be available, each with a different playstyle.  They will have progression and items and we hope add a whole new element of fun to the game.   Unfortunately we didn’t quite get as many players as we had hoped on the server to give it a proper test, so we are going to use this pre-season phase to iron out any kinks and tweak the balance a bit more beyond the testing phase.  When we are ready, we will begin Season 1 and the mayhem will begin in earnest.  You will be able to work towards the new Chaos Armor during the pre-season, which might be the best looking armor we have added to the game. 

Sorry man, this "Pre-season" to me sounds more along the lines of "Sorry we didn't get it fully tested" and now we expect you to PAY to test our new stuff out for us till we get it right and "iron out any kinks and tweak the balance".  Not to mention AGAIN that this expansion should be more about the leveling and should have left the new AA, Battleground, etc. things for the NEXT expansion where we won't see a level increase (assuming things go along their current routine of course) and just more treadmilling. Not to mention by adding PvP into the non-PvP servers in this way means that the team now has even more to do on a regular basis by having to worry about class balance for both PvE and PvP.  PvP class balance was only really scrutinized by the PvP serves (obviously) before, now you're handing every player that even wants to try it on a normal server a microscope to try and find problems with their class, and I garuntee you most will... 

With a game like EQII, it is evergrowing and everchanging, on occasion we find the need to adjust items, spells etc. . . and some mythicals had their power reduced with the release of the expansion.  With each launch, we have to look at the items released previously and decide if they are perhaps too high to encourage players to look for upgrades.  EQII is, at its core, a game driven by itemization.  The constant desire to get the next biggest, baddest piece of gear.   So on occasion we have to make some difficult decisions.  This was one of them.  For those who feel their mythical was devalued, I offer my apologies. 

Next Tuesday is the retail head start, so to get you all ready, we are turning on Bonus XP from now until the servers come down for the update Tuesday morning.   I hope you all login and enjoy.  We look forward to seeing you on the Battlegrounds and running around Odus.  Mostly, we thank you for playing EQII.

Alan “Brenlo” Crosby

Senior Producer EQII

I just hope you guys have a LOT of servers ready to go with Odus instances with these areas seeming so small it looks to me like everyone is gonna be on top of eachother trying to get through the same questlines and such...  And sorry to beat an undead horse but I still haven't seen a red-name mention ANYTHING about the removal of the ability to do grey-shard runs, firgured it woulda been mentioned here somewhere, or is it something SOE hopes we'll just not notice and it'll blow over...

Overall I think the priorities of this expansion were sadly misplaced, Battlgrounds would have been an awesome feature for the NEXT expansion with no level-cap increase. A lackluster attempt at maintaing a solo/duo-able "timeline" to use an EQ2i phrase,  And many, many more dungeons to run over and over and over again which seems to be the "new" way to hit the next level cap.

As for positive comments, Cudos to the AMAZING art depratment, you guys really made everything look phenomenal AGAIN just like you have for every expansion (and doubly kudos for the new armor/weapon models), and especially to Domino for doing (another) fantastic job with the crafting!  My poor carpenter won't know where to start lol.  And the whole team does deserve a round of applause for making everything fit as well as it does, even if I don't agree with everything or see eye to eye on what time was spent on, it's just my point of view perhaps...

P.S: As a side-note I agree whole-heartedly with Elhonas... Shame on you Brenlo for leaving your Community Manager out to dry like that while she reassured us New Halas was coming, you owe her a personal apology as far as I see it =/  And the rest of your loyal fan-base some better communication with both us AND her, obviously someone got left out of "the loop" somewhere along here...

Great post,its sums up my feelings about this very,very poor producers letter

dawy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #35
Rahatmattata

Loremaster

Terg@Butcherblock wrote:

I am very very concerned that too much of our Developers time/resources were wrapped up on this new feature that the full potential of the actual PVE content of The Sentinal's Fate will be lacking, not fully tested and will not fulfill its potential.

The arena revamp has been in the works for over a year. Proof. I much prefer a new improved arena over yay more 1-20 solo errands that will take 2 hours of gameplay.

A Cure For Cancer
Rahatmattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #36
revren

Loremaster

So when is the agency gonna be relaesed ?

Welcome Home

Rev

revren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #37
Wingrider01

Loremaster

Banedon@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Chakos wrote:

Banedon@Antonia Bayle wrote:

One day the higher management will get a reality check and realise how their playerbase is more diverse than they imagine, however for now they will continue to chase the raid-pvp players at the expense of looking after those of us who are willing to pay $15 a month just to enjoy the world of Norrath.

Battlegrounds does nothing for the raid-pvp players at all -- try reading the pvp forums, see for yourself. We already have pvp, we don't need / want BGs, by and large. The commenter who mentioned the devs change their focus to the real concerns of the community nailed it on the head.

I don't mean they are chasing existing players, that isn't Sony's way, I mean they are coming out with yet another thing to attempt to pull in the raid/pvp players from that other mmo.

Honestly, they should look at their playerbase and find out why we are here instead of playing other mmo's.  Then build on what makes EQ2 different.

doubt it will pull any players from any other game - especually since they are now resorting to bribery to get current players to "test" battle grounds - particularry got a laugh out of the server wide last night about joining in to battle grounds to obtain a unique cloak. Pretty much shows how well this one is going to go over.

Yes Jim, the user has experienced the dreaded PICNIC error

Wingrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #38
Bridgeplay

Loremaster

"Sentinel's Fate" looks very much like the disastrous "Gates of Discord" expansion from EQ1. Delayed release. Cut backs in content previously announced. Warriors (Guardians) beefed up. Other tank classes nerfed so that only Warriors could do the harder content. Raid-centric itemization. Server lag problems before launch. And so on....

Bridgeplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #39
Thor71457

Loremaster

I got a laugh out of the server wide Broadcast last night too, about joining in to battle grounds to obtain a cloak. Lets see it was around 8 pm est time... Thinking mmmm will need to have toon test copied there that takes about 3 to 8 days .. Eight days later try to log into a battleground server oppp's there down try again later.... Nah
Old 02-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #40
Eugam

Loremaster

Bridgeplay wrote:

"Sentinel's Fate" looks very much like the disastrous "Gates of Discord" expansion from EQ1. Delayed release. Cut backs in content previously announced. Warriors (Guardians) beefed up. Other tank classes nerfed so that only Warriors could do the harder content. Raid-centric itemization. Server lag problems before launch. And so on....

+1

Why no details on the myth nerfs ? Dont get me wrong, i do think the mythicals should turn worthless with SF. If mythed mystic will keep the 30% of power to wards as buff for example, then every other mystic is broken and will remain broken until you delete them. Raid-centric itemization is wrong in the long term. Is there a long term goal ?

Eugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #41
Katz

Loremaster

I'm going to wait and play the expansion before I comment on the aa point change, racial trait changes, etc.

As far as mythicals being changed,  I don't think its a good plan to decrease the value of current items so that people will want the new expansion items.  Personally, I think you should have had the quest to change mythicals to skills at level 81 and then have something cool weaponwise for people to go for.  By having the quest at level 90 you are encouraging people to use their mythicals until level 90.

As far as battlegrounds goes, several of my friends want to try it out.  For me personally, I don't want the hassle of a PvP server.  I like to do my holiday quests just worrying about the mobs, not other players.  But I like the idea of battlegrounds, where you can PvP without it affecting your PvE experiences.  Several of my friends are wanting to try it out.

Why aren't we all testing battlegrounds now?  Too much is going on, city festivals, pre-expansion world events, erolisi day events, exp bonus weekend, etc.  I was just going to wait until it went live.  The bribe of the cloak has lured me to give it a test drive...soon as a buff bot is back up on testcopy. 

Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #42
Enica
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Casual Alliance

Loremaster

swampthing wrote:

perhaps you didn't get enough players testing your battlegrounds because eq2 players don't care about battlegrounds?  I left wow due to the constant balancing and rebalancing of classes due to pvp.  It got sickening to have a good class one day, the next day being a complete [Removed for Content].  And now i have that to look forward to in EQ.  Be totally honest with you, the first nerf any of my classes take for PVP and i'm hitting the cancel button.

You guys really need to learn why people play your game and realize that duplicating wow features isn't going to bring you wow players.  Make your own game and if it's good people will play it, but copying another one that's successful isn't going to bring that success here.

This.  I have no desire to PVP, and I won't be trying the battlegrounds.  If I wanted this type of stuff, there are tons of PVP games out there.

Enica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #43
Enica
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Casual Alliance

Loremaster

double post

Enica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #44
Kiara

Community Relations

Mustang8259 wrote:

P.S: As a side-note I agree whole-heartedly with Elhonas... Shame on you Brenlo for leaving your Community Manager out to dry like that while she reassured us New Halas was coming, you owe her a personal apology as far as I see it =/  And the rest of your loyal fan-base some better communication with both us AND her, obviously someone got left out of "the loop" somewhere along here...

Whilst I do appreciate the sentiment, Brenlo did not leave me hanging.  Halas *IS* coming.  The fact that I wasn't at liberty to tell you in advance of Brenlo's announcement that it was delayed is certainly not his fault, and is simply one of the occupational hazards of being a community manager and bound by rules.

I know that folks aren't pleased by the delay, but truly, from what I've seen so far, it's going to be well worth it SMILEY  I've already packed my bags and am ready to move there!

Kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #45
Gisallo
Server: Lucan DLere

Loremaster

I am confused by something.  One of the points raised was that they wanted to ween us from our mythicals.  Okay I get that.  There is mudflation, you want people to equip t9 stuff and not still be rocking a t-8 item so you do something.  Well the mythical "blues" for lack of a better term are basically made intrinsic in a toon after a heroic level 90 quest.  So guess what WE ARE WEENED OFF THE MYTHICAL.  If I get the clicky effect and other passives without equipping the darn thing dang skippy I will hold something else in my right hand than the ugly tree root.  No need to nerf the junk out of something when its already been made impractical.

Lets be honest shall we.  It likely should have read something like this. 

"We have decided to change a number of the encounter mechanics.  We felt that power management within raids was trivialized by a number of items and power regen of certain utility classes so we nerfed the stuffing out of not only myths but most things that regen or provide power.  Additionally since we allowed mudflation to exist in the first place AND our overly simple and draconian idea of gear degredation was met by a palace revolt, we decided to nerf certain mythicals with little thought in order to make itemization easier in this expac."

Now I understand nerfing some stuff but lets use the mystic mythical.  With the obvious trend regarding power management in this expansion I can certainly understand a reduction.  BUT there are less draconian ways to deal with it.  Make the duration 15-20 secs.  reduce the amount of power gained (if it is 1 pt of power for one point of damage make it one point of power for 2 pts of damage, as an example).  Reintroduce the fact that it is resistable, but since it becomes intrisic to the character make it so that the level that is conned is based on the character level, not the weapon level.  There were a myriad of ways of doing it where the concept would be preserved BUT you would not have people foaming at the mouth.  I understand just going into the base code and changing the reuse to 10 minutes is easier BUT to play on the 16th we are all doing the more complicated and expensive method of either going to a store to get a box (paying sales tax, gas etc) or paying for shipping and handling, many are paying over $60.00 for a collectors edition etc PLUS the fact we are all renewing subs.  Me thinks if you are getting such a financial shot in the arm you could spend a little of that money in advance to have the Dev's stop and take some time to THINK.

On a closing note please DO NOT apologize.  My mom (and I am sure most mothers) used to say the following after I apologized for doing stupid, insensitive, or generally wrong headed things intentionally.  "If you were really sorry you would not have done it."  Clearly this was intended so how can one be sorry for something you planned on doing?  Actually being sorry infers that there is a desire to repent.  When one repents one tries to make up for what one has done.  What is felt here is more akin to simply feeling guilty, but there is clearly no desire to repent imho. 

Old 02-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #46
EQPrime

Loremaster

Kiara wrote:

Mustang8259 wrote:

Whilst I do appreciate the sentiment, Brenlo did not leave me hanging.  Halas *IS* coming.  The fact that I wasn't at liberty to tell you in advance of Brenlo's announcement that it was delayed is certainly not his fault, and is simply one of the occupational hazards of being a community manager and bound by rules.

I know that folks aren't pleased by the delay, but truly, from what I've seen so far, it's going to be well worth it   I've already packed my bags and am ready to move there!

I'm still waiting on that "better communication" that was supposed to be coming a long time ago!

Arbre - Warden/Sage
Flippyfloppies - OP SK
Amplify - Troubadour

Slege
Mistmoore
EQPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #47
kelesia

Loremaster

Kiara, I beg to differ. I understand that as a PR Manager, you have to defend your boss no matter how terribly he treated you or how much of a [Removed for Content] and out of touch with his player base he just happens to be. I'm sorry he treated you horribly, I'm so sorry that as a result of his lack of foresight you lost faction with the playerbase. You do try rather hard  and we respect that. It really isn't your fault they forbid you from telling your players the truth. *hug* I suggest Brenlo that in the interests of communicating with your playerbase, one you keep your mouth shut if you have to contradict the line you told her to say and two let her be the one to spin it. She has a lot more street cred than you ever will and players will take it better if it comes from her.

I am so so disappointed with the pushing of Halas back.  I am looking forward to it, and it was the main thing I was looking forward to this expansion. I would have been happier without the grind to 90 and just another AA expansion. From some of the things mentioned, getting to 90 will be a cake and then it'll be back to grinding AA.  I'm disappointed in some of the coercer AAs. I'm disappointed in the mythical changes.  I'm really disappointed in battlegrounds and in the fact that the cool new armor will be coming from there. Yay for something I will never see. Sorta like all the cool new pretties in station cash I won't see.

I want to hear about Shaders 3. Please tell me about it!

Things I do like: Tradeskill content. Kudos.  Art is fantastic. New house items are win.  Kudos to Domino, Kiara, Brasse, Friznik, Rothgar for sticking their necks out and communicating with the players. Kudos especially to Rothgar for helping AB's terrible lag. (which is still icky in certain raid zones). I like the fluff, but would like to see more stuff available for the average player.

Things I'd like to see: AB's lag issues addressed further. I anticipate the expansion launch is gonna be terrible due to it. I'd like to see more talk about what is coming up.  I want stuff to look forward to, to give me a reason to stay. My carrot on the stick was Halas and right now I don't have one.  

Overall, I was terribly disappointed with this producer's newsletter that had a lot of pretty words with hardly any substance.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #48
Asif

Loremaster

Hmm very poor letter everything i was looking forward to has been delayed.

DONT care about BG at all so my only option now is to DELAY my money to you .

PS : to bad was a great game at one time  SMILEY

Goodbye

Asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #49
Glenolas

Loremaster

This phrase in the producer's letter of Feb 12  is bothersome.

"and some mythicals had their power reduced with the release of the expansion.  With each launch, we have to look at the items released previously and decide if they are perhaps too high to encourage players to look for upgrades."

Until this note, I thought  better weapons would be forthcoming in the expansion, and players would be freed to equip those without losing their myth benefits.  The  myth benefits would  be turned  into castable spells, and an appearance item.   The new spells and the appearance item were the encouragement to switch.

This  producer's note infers 4 of the 24 classes would not be able to understand that, and had to be further "encouraged" to move to a new weapon by a nerf to their mythical effect.   

Who are we kidding?    Nerfing does not "encourage" anyone to do anything other than to quit.    It may not be a great number who do, but believing it will be zero is naive.   The producers job, of course, it to decide how many quits can be tolerated in return  for letting a new dev remove  effects  that have been in the game for 27 months.  The alternative is either to leave it alone,  or send him to  find  a proactive way to scratch whatever itch is bothering him. 

Don't try to paint it as "encouraging them to switch".      It's not true, and will only make them madder.

Glenolas

Glenolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #50
Writer Cal

Loremaster

Like others, I also worry about the "later in the year" phrasing.  Normally, I'm not one to nitpick phrasing in dev communications, but seeing people first say Halas is going into the next update and then say "later in the year" is a bit disheartening.  Often, it seems like things people say will come "later in the year" get delayed to waaaay later in the year, like 9 months from now, or get delayed even into the year after.

/crosses-fingers

Member of the Tom Tobey Fan Club since 2010.

Homeshow Designs:

Deluxe Seaside Cottage

Reckoning Goes Corporate
Writer Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #51
Armironhead
Server: Vox

Loremaster

Toressa@Antonia Bayle wrote:

First of all, my apologies, I didn't see this thread when I posted that other one 

Now to repost what I said there...

A few questions arise.

No mention of Shaders 3.0?

Halas later this year... so GU56 or further now?

Battle Grounds Pre Season. So you are postponing Halas for the expansion and battlegrounds, thats cool. Not having Battle Grounds fully ready and using us payers to test it, not so cool. Personally, I'd delay BG as well until it's fully functioning as well.

I get that you want to make Halas a better experience, and I honestly can't wait for that. However, not having it ready to focus on something else, and then not even having that complete just boggles the mind. 

The bgs are currently badly broken.  Having them go live and using unwitting customers as test subjects is a sure way to turn folk off to them for good.  You got to wonder who's running the ship at soe.  Its like they want to be second best wannabes. 

Old 02-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #52
Lader

Loremaster

Glenolas wrote:

" With each launch, we have to look at the items released previously and decide if they are perhaps too high to encourage players to look for upgrades."

I'm not sure why he said it this way, but in the end its just more evidence that this producer (and this latest letter) are severely lacking. The reason some epics were nerfed is because power management is a nonissue right now. They also nerfed a couple of items from TSO (zarrakon belt, YIS healer neck, most power procs in general), but this is also missing from this letter. They wanted to bring back that element of combat.

I personally would have preferred they put all their resources that worked on BG's into working on the expansion. Itemization is horrible (they only recently added resists to raid gear, and only because the outcry against forcing us to wear mastercrafted resist jewelry was so high) and mechanics still need major work (summoners are still unbalanced, shamans are closer than at the beginning of beta but still need a lot of work, rangers are up in arms about combat mechanics favoring melee classes, etc.) There is so much work still to be done. They don't need to worry about adding pvp to pve environment (the huge lack of interest in testing them seems like a pretty good indicator that eq2 players dont really care about BG's).

Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #53
Tyrus Dracofire

Loremaster

wow, whoa, what you mean Pre-season and season 1? please explain before it get lot more speculatings soon coming on the forums.

Tyrus Dracofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #54
irish

Tester

Pre season means you can start earning armor and items, but no ranking till the season starts.

irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #55
BChizzle

Loremaster

irish wrote:

Pre season means you can start earning armor and items, but no ranking till the season starts.

All expansions are launched in pre season mode anyways not sure why its any different that it is pvp.

BChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #56
Animul

Lord

Sadly the content of the producers letter falls completely in line with what most of the playerbase have come to expect from this company.

While some of the artwork in the upcoming expansion is pretty good, the overland zones are lacking and feel like they were cobbled together by a few different teams that don't speak the same language, they are in fact about as dull as what they have done to the original content in overland zones, which pretty much leaves dungeons as the only real content thats worth a dam.  Never before have I seen mobs knockback, stun, stifle, knockup, and just generally annoy the [Removed for Content] out of you in one place. You took something that people have complained the most about and added more of it. You think its fun loosing control of your character and not being able to do a thing about it?

I think the thing that fails to deliver the most about this expansion is what you are doing to game mechanics and itemization. It might be all well and good to make changes for the new content, you know 80-90..but these changes affect all levels including 1-79. Itemization will only be really changed for the newer content and we were basically told to suck it up by the dev that does this stuff, he doesn't have time to go through all the items and that we were worried about something that doesn't matter. It DOES matter!

Zone changes..why are you re-tiering older zones? I have heard it said that its to make for smoother progression. Please stop hacking up content, its fine the way it is. The only reason people don't play these zones is because you are rushing everyone through them in a mad rush to the top. Making it easier isn't going to change the fact that some of the stuff sucked from the get go. I am in a progression guild and I would like to do the content the way it was intended when it was put in. That is progression. Places like Kalidim wont be there now when we get to that tier thanks to the unwarranted changes.

I have been a customer of yours for a long time, I have paid a hefty amount of money over the years on more than one account and supported this game through monthly fee's, purchase of every expansion, the use of LoN and marketplace (even though I don't really like seeing them in this game every dollar helps) and these lame changes are what I get for my money? How about tell me Why I should support this company any longer? Does this company have any intentions of delivering fun engaging content, or will you continue to simplify everything to a streamlined process that does nothing but leave me struggling to figure out a new way to get the most out of my character because a new update came out?

You said on 12/04/09 that you were not going to make sweeping changes to game mechanics, you lied to us and I am very disappointed in you and your staff for not having the courtesy to let us know ahead of time what we were to expect.

I think other people here have commented on other things about your game enough that I wont go into them because in all honesty if you don't get what we are talking about then you never will.

You're not seriously charging people extra for that ugly cat are you?

Animul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #57
Anurra
Server: Permafrost

Loremaster

It is fairly clear that SoE does not have a long term vision and EQ2 has reached the stage where it is staffed with a minimal amount of people. Whoops, I'm sorry, I mean $oE does not have a long term vision...

Anurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #58
Paddyo

Loremaster

The only thing I remember from the Fan Faire video was Brenlo, (and I am paraphrasing) with his voice getting increasingly excited and louder, announcing new Halas because "we have the best MMO out there and we want a new player experience that is every bit as great as we believe this game to be".  Again, paraphrased.  Halas was touted as being important because we needed a new player experience to match how great this expansion was going to be.

Halas is MIA.  And I cannot begin to express what kind of commentary that places on this expansion as a whole, when framed in the context of Brenlo's excited announcement.

Oh, I remember one other thing from Fan Faire:  an alliance with HP to sell us game art that was due by the end of '09. Given that there was money to be made from that one, I'm surprised I haven't seen it in the marketplace already.

Paddyo, #1 Halfling Templar on Antonia Bayle 90 Templar/90 Master Woodworker/450 Adorner/450 Tinkerer

Stuue Griffon90 warden/ 90 Master Tailor & 450 Tinkerer

Quasifrodo Jolie'Pitt 90 Brigand / 90 Master Alchemist

Wokker Hexes'Strangers 82 Necromancer /90 Provisioner

Feature Presentation 90 Troubador / 90 Armorer

Paddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #59
Purr

Tester

Good posts here, many sum up my feelings well. This is another producer letter with nice words and no substance. I know Brenlo as a funny guy who is great when it comes to entertaining people. Having said that: As producer, he gets a big FAIL from me. This letter fits right in where the Beta Tour on ustream left off. It might sound bad to some ears but in Germany we have a saying: The fish starts stinking at the head. That, on top of a seemingly shrinking team, has left us with an expansion 3 months late and still far from finished. It's sad for any player who loves that game.

The BG tests are a huge disaster, not just because not enough people are testing them but mostly because those tests are horribly unorganized. And no, I'm not beating down on Rothgar who now seemingly got stuck with this on top of database changes etc etc. Give the guy a break!  He can't do it all by himself! Clone him 3 times and you might get somewhere.

Halas is not coming anywhere soon[TM], I don't like it, but I can live with it. The art for SF is fantastic, crafted items are fantastic. The quests and progression lines look promising. Thanks to all the guys and girls who worked hard to get things done: Rothgar, Gninja, Domino, Zoltaroth ... thank you!

What I'm missing is more >world<. 2 Overland zones don't cut it. I want to explore, not run the same stuff again and again. BG=bad idea, along the line of many bad dumbing down the game ideas. EQ2 is not a PvP game, and there are enough out there, we don't need another one. BG will go the way the Arena went. And you won't get WoW players to EQ2 by making EQ2 like WoW. You will only lose the players who play EQ2 because they like EQ2 more than WoW. Dare to be different.

Why all the nerfing tosome myths and power regen, why stat consolidation, quest reworks in the old zones. I have not heard anybody complaining they weren't streamlined enough. Stop dumbing things down, please!

I don't understand the decisions of the management. But I know, seeing how the game I play since it launched deteriorates, it makes me sad. And no: I'm not going to doom&gloom and threaten to take my sub elsewhere. But I'd like to see things getting better!

Purr~Test Server = priceless

Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #60
Bridgeplay

Loremaster

Introducing Battlegrounds at the same time that's there's a new level cap and new end-game content probably wasn't a good idea. Maybe people will eventually try Battlegrounds, but it likely would have make a bigger impact after the player base had leveled to 90 and explored the content in Sentinel's Fate.

Halas, on the other hand, might have kept a few more non-raiders in the game, which I doubt that Battlegrounds will.

Bridgeplay is offline   Reply With Quote