EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
Rothgar

Developer

I'm in the process of making some changes to the quest journal and looking for feedback.  Do you know of any bugs or have any complaints about the way it currently works? 

One of the things I'd like to see changed is to re-orient the quest list and detail pane so that they are side by side instead of on top of each other.  The information is easier to read with a taller list rather than a wider list.  If you've taken a look at Profit UI or some of the other third-party UI's, they've rearranged the quest list like this.

Increasing the number of active quests isn't really a topic for this thread, so lets keep it to just changes with the interface. 

We recently added the ability to sort collections by other means and to sort quests by name.  So anything like that, that makes the quest journal more usable, is the type of thing i'm looking for.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Sinaari

Loremaster

Is there a way to possibly color code the quests somehow to know if they are solo, group and raid/epic? So at a glance you can tell like we have now with the level colors?

Guild Leader

Knights of the Rising Storm

Blackburrow

Sinaari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Grumpy_Warrior_01

Loremaster

On the Completed tab each quest usually gives a one- or two-line description of what the quest was about, which doesn't always jog my memory especially if it was a long, detailed series of steps.  Many times I have wished I could see the various steps that went into finishing the quest as well as the reward links, similar to when the quest was active.  Any chance of that?

Grumpy_Warrior_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
acable

Loremaster

I'd like to see a quest helper that will display multiple quests if you choose.

acable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Bremer

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

We recently added the ability to sort collections by other means and to sort quests by name.  So anything like that, that makes the quest journal more usable, is the type of thing i'm looking for.

It would be great to have a hide check box next to each collection. I have characters with 200 open collections and most of them I'll never complete (those from EoF, RoK, where there is one item for several platin while the rest only cost 1 copper and the reward is crap).

An option to mark those collections and hide them unless you add an item to the collection or use a "show hidden collections" command would be a great way to make the collections more managable.

Bremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Rashaak

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

I'm in the process of making some changes to the quest journal and looking for feedback.  Do you know of any bugs or have any complaints about the way it currently works? 

One of the things I'd like to see changed is to re-orient the quest list and detail pane so that they are side by side instead of on top of each other.  The information is easier to read with a taller list rather than a wider list.  If you've taken a look at Profit UI or some of the other third-party UI's, they've rearranged the quest list like this.

Increasing the number of active quests isn't really a topic for this thread, so lets keep it to just changes with the interface. 

When ever you zone and then reopen the Quest Journal every quest is open and have to reclose it

Some quests are unable to be deleted, I believe these are under the Hallmark tab IRC.

I would like to see quests that share similiar mobs to be killed be able to be linked somehow on the UI. So maybe have the UI show up to three quests that share the same mob on the UI without having to reopen the Quest Journal to check.

Oh, and the Collection Quest journal I believe should have it's own UI instead of just being tabbed with the rest of the Quest Journal.

Rashaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Deson

Loremaster

I just want my default quest to not be A Darkened Shard. Every time I complete a quest it goes right to that one and it's annoying. If you could make it so that it just moved down the list,preferably next in the sort order, I'd be content.
I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom. I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break...
Deson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Beghauns

Loremaster

Pretty happy with the collections and active, but the completed quests could use some other sort options or some way of condensing it down.  I've only done a bit over a K of quests but it becomes hard to find the quest you’re looking for when the list is sorted by zone.  Would be nice if "by expansion" was an option and then by zone under that.

Beghauns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Iamken

Tester

I would like to see a new tab called 'Favorites' and also have the ability to drag in and out current quests to it.

Quinleigh - 90 Fury - Unrest

Rylaar - 90 Ranger - Unrest

Fife - 60 Troubador - Test
Iamken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
Yimway

Loremaster

1) Sort quests alpha as an options.

2) Search box / filter for quests.

3) A filter for only quests each group member is on.

4) A clear indicator of quest line in the quest description.  Ie, if the quest had a pre-req quest its name would be in the description with a hotlink to the clompleted version.  Simplify the task of catching group members up to the same step.

5) Ability to search for other players LFG on same step of quest

6) /browser eq2.wikia.com/Quest_Name_Here_Please as a default refference link.  Lets just accept its a universal source and provide connectivity to it.

Thats all I can think of in 3 minutes.  Hope you like some.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
TygerMeow

Loremaster

It would be nice to be able to sort quests on the completed tab as well. When I'm playing with new/lower people and I want to share a quest or find a quest/questline they would be interested in, it would be nice to be able to sort in various ways.

Obviously the existing sort options on collections would be great for quests, like sort by nearing completion, completed, etc.

This isn't a journal thing, but for crying out loud, can we get a shard quest giver amenity for our guild halls? I never remember to go back out and turn in my quest and I see lots of people with the same problem and it runs into other problems where you can't share quests once you've entered the zone because someone still has the shard quest from yesterday. Going to CL and Lava and Moors to gather these shards onesy twosey is a pain.

/ventoff

Proud member of the Replace Research Assistants with Sammich Assistants (tm) Alliance. Stand up for your rights! Then sit down and eat.
TygerMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Dreyco

Archive of Ik

Rothgar,

The ideas and changes that you have planned are great!

The only feedback that I could offer is to the quest journal's relation to the quest tracker. Being able to flag more than one quest to be tracked in the quest tracker from the journal would be of serious benefit. Sometimes you're trying to juggle quests from large zones like the Kunzark zones or Moors, and you have twelve at a time. Being able to track more than one would help immensely in that department.

Grand Historian of The Archive of Ik
Dreyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Xalmat

EQ2Achieve.com

Bugs:

Often when I'm looking at group members journals, and group members get updates, the journal stops updating on my end.

VERY often the quest journal will jump to another quest in my journal for no apparent reason. This seems to occur the most when I complete a quest, and it always jumps to the same quest.

Sess, Conjuror of PermafrostCyanide, Berserker of Permafrost
Xalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Malacha

General

+1 for Quest Helper that shows more than one quest. Side by Side as well is awesome.

My number 1 most annoying thing about the quest journal is defaulting to some random quest whenever you earn status. I'm really tired of seeing that i need to visit the gnolls in Splitpaw or whatever the default quest is for my characters.

Also, having the collapse/expand options actually save! I can understand not saving if you camp completely to desktop, but to have chose to collapse all headings and 5 minutes later, there are 2 to 3 opened even though I did not choose to...

Functionality in the Group tab would help a great deal. Sometimes the quest details do not show up when I select a quest, so I have no idea how far my groupmate is along in the quest.

Maewyn | Maelya | Alania | Maehymn | Maelani (Account Canceled)
Malacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
wushupork

Loremaster

I agree with Malachani, the quest "A Darkened Shard" seems to pop up everytime something is completed. I'm pretty sure it seems to default to first alphabetically sorted quest. It would be better if on completion of a quest it would drop back to the most recently updated quest.

This of course is referring to the Quest helper, not the journal specifically.

I do completely agree the explorer type quest journal is much easier to use, it's the reason I had even started looking at third party UI's back in the day.

wushupork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #16
KerowynnKaotic

Tormentor of Fae

I'll add my vote for a search bar for the Journal, for all parts.  Current, Collection, Completed & Group. 

And, is there anyway you can change the Completed Default to first look to see if you have a more quests in the same zone you are in and display one of those instead of however it works currently? 

(ie:  after completing a quest in whatever zone, even if I have 10 other quests for that zone, my journal immediatly displays the splitpaw final epic quest, which I will probably never get around to finishing .. plus I hear it's bugged, anyway .. )

If not it's okay .. but .. I really want that Search Bar.   Been tons of times when people ask me if I have completed XX quest .. and .. I'd not know without a lot of manual searching and every single time I had wished for a bloody search function!

KerowynnKaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #17
Malacha

General

Oh and let me add that having the journal stay on the collection tab after you add an item is SO FREAKING ANNOYING. If people like it, make it an option. But when I open my journal to check out quests (since we can't have multiple in the helper) its just annoying to have to tab back to the quests again.

Maewyn | Maelya | Alania | Maehymn | Maelani (Account Canceled)
Malacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #18
Bratface

Loremaster

Deson wrote:

I just want my default quest to not be A Darkened Shard. Every time I complete a quest it goes right to that one and it's annoying. If you could make it so that it just moved down the list,preferably next in the sort order, I'd be content.

You beat me to it lol

I thought it was supposed to be fix a while back so that it moved to the next quest in the journal, but I still fall on A Darkened Shard every time I finish a quest.

Bratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
Rijacki

Tester

My current 'default quest' is now the multi shard zone one from Everfrost. It used to be the Nek Forest HQ.

My desires for a quest journal:

1. Sort by level to be either ascending or descending. As it is now, I don't use that sort since I have to scroll to the bottom for what usually is relevant to me.

2. The ability to search, like the recipe book search, but also for zones and/or targets (i.e. content), too, in addition to just on names. Maybe even search the quest giver name, too.

3. The ability to 'mark' a group of quests and have them 'rise to the top' in my journal regardless if they're in the same zone or not.

4. The abilty to filter/sort by level range. As an expansion on my desire for level sorting being ascending or descending.

5. Search ability on the completed and the Group quests.

As an aside, I -LOVE- that you can do a broker search direct from the journal for collection quests. That's a function I use a lot.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

Please let us delete the access quests to everfrost and zek if we decide not to do them.  I know they don't count against totals, but having that grey quest in my vision all the time is just a ginormous pet peeve of mine.  I use profit and they are side by side and works well.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #21
Vodr

General

Simple request however a very usefull one.  I hate having to keep my journal open to see updates for group mates quests when I am going back and helping them on one I have already completed.

Could you make it so when you select a group members quest,  there quest info shows in the quest window so I can close my journal?

Vodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
Yimway

Loremaster

CoLD MeTaL wrote:

Please let us delete the access quests to everfrost and zek if we decide not to do them.  I know they don't count against totals, but having that grey quest in my vision all the time is just a ginormous pet peeve of mine.  I use profit and they are side by side and works well.

Yes in general, allow any quest to be deleted.

On that general notion remove the no-destroy tag.  I have crap I can't get rid of that is really ticking me off.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #23
Achala

Loremaster

1. Sorting on multiple fields -- for example, the ability to sort by zone and within each zone have quests sorted by level, or name, or whatever

2. If you have a ZONE NAME highlighted, allow the SHARE button to automatically share any and all shareable quests that start within that zone, including both active AND completed quests.  It would be best if this could be done without causing a lot of spam in the chat window (which happens today when people start going down their list of quests sharing everything).

3. A way to review recent quest updates and what quest was updated (sometimes I've been out in the field and killed or clicked on something, and received a quest update but didn't quite catch which quest was updated.)  This information doesn't need to be preserved between game sessions, so it could easily just be cached on the client side for display. 

4. If you track quest updates in 3, capture the quest text (that appears in the popup), quest name (which the quest tracker briefly changes to), and the /loc the quest update occurred at - and allow us to export the information to make it easier to capture that information in a CSV or similar format that we can use to populate POI databases or Wikis later.

5. A way to filter the collections page based on freeform text.  For example, if I type "scorpion" I should see "Shining Scorpion Collection" and "Spotted Scorpion Collection" and so on, but nothing else.

Achala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #24
Gipper
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mystic Alliance

Lord

Yes! Please make it go to next quest in my list when I finish one. Mine is stuck on making bronze magmatic armor right now. Annoying when doing a round of writs. Also, the collection page coming up whenever I add something and want to see quest page, I don't like that.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #25
Achala

Loremaster

Vodroc wrote:

Could you make it so when you select a group members quest,  there quest info shows in the quest window so I can close my journal?

/seconded

I want to be able to use the quest tracker to track other group members' quests as well.

Achala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #26
Valdaglerion

Loremaster

Firstly I envison the quest journal to be a culmination of achievements, abilities and a to-do list.

1. Filter by quest type (Epic, Heroic, Solo). If you know you want to solo for your play that day, the sbility to hide everything else would be nice. Persistent option which stays until the selection changes or is cleared.
  2. HIDE [TYPE]. This especially comes into play for Collections. I would love to hide all the completed ones and look at whats left. Make this a persistent option which stays until the selection is changed or cleared.
  3. New TAB: Druid Rings: track which bushes have been harvested. I understand for game reasons you dont want to list them all initially but at least displaying which have been completed would be a really nice feature.
  4. New Tab: Languages: show all the languages here. I know its included in another window but having it here would be nice.
  5. New Tab: Named Kills: This could be sorted and filtered by zone, alphabetical etc) for the named kills for which you have received credit. Killing grey named doesnt provide you credit for the kill (at least thats how I understand it). It would be interesting if this list tracked discovered named (you have intereacted with them and either tried to kill them or killed them). A non-success kill would list the named, zone, level, etc but leave it as non-credited. A successful kill would add the information with the credited flag denoted.
  6. New Tab: Abilities (port over the abilities from the knowledge area)
  7. New Tab: Spells (port over the spells from the knowledg area). This could be sorted by spell level and should list the tier of the spell acquired. Be really nice for those who are trying to completely master their toons.
  8. New Feature: Notes - allow us to enter our own notes for the journal associated to a particular quest. Honestly I dont care if this was a stored XML file on the local machine or hosted within the game database but that would be a really great feature IMO. Especially if those files could be shared with guildies.
Valdaglerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #27
Lodrelhai

Loremaster

I'd like to see, when sorting by zone, that the zone you are currently in defaults to the top of the list in the group quests tab.  Also, for the shared quests at the top, could it display both how many people have the quest (in the tree) but which group members are on which stage (in the description) up to your current stage?

Taking the recent Ratical quest as an example, Rothgar's journal might look like this:

Ratical! (quest description I'm too lazy to look up)

• I need to kill 10 small rats. (Domino, Autenil)
  • I need to kill 10 medium-sized rats (Fyreflight, Kiara)
  • I need to kill 10 large rats (Rothgar)
  • (Aeralik)

That last one, of course, shows that Aeralik is on a step after Rothgar's - since Rothgar isn't on that stage, he can't see what it is Aeralik has to do.

Lodrelhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #28
Vodr

General

Achala wrote:

1. Sorting on multiple fields -- for example, the ability to sort by zone and within each zone have quests sorted by level, or name, or whatever

2. If you have a ZONE NAME highlighted, allow the SHARE button to automatically share any and all shareable quests that start within that zone, including both active AND completed quests.  It would be best if this could be done without causing a lot of spam in the chat window (which happens today when people start going down their list of quests sharing everything).

3. A way to review recent quest updates and what quest was updated (sometimes I've been out in the field and killed or clicked on something, and received a quest update but didn't quite catch which quest was updated.)  This information doesn't need to be preserved between game sessions, so it could easily just be cached on the client side for display. 

4. If you track quest updates in 3, capture the quest text (that appears in the popup), quest name (which the quest tracker briefly changes to), and the /loc the quest update occurred at - and allow us to export the information to make it easier to capture that information in a CSV or similar format that we can use to populate POI databases or Wikis later.

5. A way to filter the collections page based on freeform text.  For example, if I type "scorpion" I should see "Shining Scorpion Collection" and "Spotted Scorpion Collection" and so on, but nothing else.

I'm seconding #2,  many times do I have to go nuts sharing quests when helping people out, RoK made this most aparent.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #29
Tibis_Heartseeker

Loremaster

acable wrote:

I'd like to see a quest helper that will display multiple quests if you choose.

This would be a great addition to the overall quest UI; the lack of this is my only real gripe with the quest journal as it is.

Tibis_Heartseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #30
Vodr

General

Rothgar any chance as you work on this that you could do "Mockup shots" se we can see how your design thoughts go and it would help us with idea's etc.

You are currently working on the heart of the game (it is called everQUEST afterall) and this is a great undertaking,  Besides it could be good for "better communication for the community" and just plain ol fun for a lot of us that would like to see the process that you guys go through.

Course mockups could cause massive flames but is there any post that couldn't cause flames?