EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #31
ecoskii

Loremaster

set spell affects to 0 and didn't crsh for a change.... didn't see any mob cast a dam thing either... ho hum

ecoskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #32
Rothgar

Developer

ecoskii wrote:

set spell affects to 0 and didn't crsh for a change.... didn't see any mob cast a dam thing either... ho hum

Thats good feedback.  I'm interested to know if this solves the problem for others.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #33
Tehom

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

ecoskii wrote:

Thats good feedback.  I'm interested to know if this solves the problem for others.

It definitely seems to reduce it for me too. It doesn't eliminate the problem (froze again on Sunday while doing Avatar of Growth in Lesser Faydark, around 12:08 est), but it becomes much, much more infrequent.

Tehom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 AM   #34
Verrie77

Loremaster

ecoskii wrote:

When things were really bad I tried this method...I thought it helped.I have not crashed in some time now, and im running the game as I used to...wearing normal gear etc.Yes Im happy that im not crashing atm, but still abit sad cause it tells me I still dont know what might cause it.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #35
Balic

Loremaster

I was consistently freezing while raiding (never in a group or solo, granted I play a guardian).

After reading some posts on here, I tried sliding the master volume bar all the way to left (no EQ2 sound). 

I haven't frozen up since, been about 8 raids now.  Prior to this, I was freezing a few times a night at least.

Balic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #36
Verrie77

Loremaster

I just froze on Taskmaster just as my groupward was about to land SMILEY

12th march 10:47 pm CET

Old 03-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #37
Tehom

Loremaster

Balic wrote:

I was consistently freezing while raiding (never in a group or solo, granted I play a guardian).

After reading some posts on here, I tried sliding the master volume bar all the way to left (no EQ2 sound). 

I haven't frozen up since, been about 8 raids now.  Prior to this, I was freezing a few times a night at least.

If you were playing a guardian, any idea what you were doing that caused freezes? For most of us, it's pretty consistent that it's on casting wards (especially group ward) that we freeze. If you noticed freezing while casting any particular CAs, it might be useful to note that. Similarly, the only thing I've ever frozen on while playing my illusionist is when casting chronosiphon. It's only happened once or twice while playing him.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #38
Geothe

Loremaster

I had the crash happen last night (first time playing my defiler for quite a while. was hoping this got fixed).It was the same ol' game freeze just before the group ward finished casting.

On the Maestro fight in Shard of Hate, Thursday 3/12, at around 11:20pm EST.Server: NajenaPlayer: Zilth

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #39
Tehom

Loremaster

Froze again on Sunday 3/15 while playing Chath, Antonia Bayle, 4:13 pm est in Chardok when finishing casting a group ward. Spell effects set to 0, but had volume on. I think I may start turning volume off but keep spell effects on and see what happens.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #40
Cub

General

For about  since december I have been getting major lockups  the entire system just locks up everything stops and I am forced to push the system HArdware reset and reboot.  Seems to happen when certain spells are cast but since It locks up so bad I can never get  a report on what driver falled it don't write a crash report to give me some idea.  So I still have no idea what is casuing it so I cant make a real bug report....... So since then i also had it lock up at anytime when I was looking at somebody hat that had particle effects and this certain necromancer  in my guild I always seem to lock up with him around.  Or maybe not I can never tell what the outcome is maybe somebody was casting something at the time  No idea.

Come to think of it any necromancer I have been with i got a lock up One said something about healing me once  when I was locking up those days...

Im pretty  sure it is a graphic issue maybe with particles since as so as certain ones are on it locks and i am using ATI newist drivers no change..  It just seems so random and it did not do that before december I left it on for hours on end with out lockups. .

Though it only does it when I am in groups If i am alone it never locks up So I do not think It is my spells Wizard/assasin  cllass. It also seems to happen in any zone but the worst was in the frostfell event dungeons that is when it started happening to me... I was not playing a healer when it  happens but I was being healed by one most the time. I have gotten a few lockups with the assasin not as many as the wizard but I do not play with the assasin as much either.

I did  get a lock up today  march 17 about 11p, mountain time in The Sanctorium  and Sanctum of the Scaleborn while i was casting one of the wizard fire area of effect spells, not sure if it was mine since I also got the same kind of crash just running in the same zone not doing anything at the same times I crashed 3 times at least. somebody might have healed me but I am not sure since I never see the spells finish.

Since they are  Just so random I have no Idea if it is me or somebody else When it happens most the time it is large total chaos battle and I have no idea what other people are casting It could be me or somebody elses spells i cant tell.

I know it is not my PC it runscrysis warhead other games for hours on end with no lockups. though I got some with Unreal Tournament 3 but not since the 2.0 patch. Normaly when my system locks up from doing something crazy it tells me It is the GPU or other Driver had "fatal error" when it reboots but it never has  with this one.

Character Name Tetris

Server oasis

just today and almost every day...

Now that I know other people are crashing I guess I will pay more attenttion to what spell is going on when It happens.

I use a pentuim 4 extreme edtion CPU with 4gb ram and a  ATI 3870 HD 513mb 9.2 drivers sound blaster xi-fi with 64mb ram. pretty much the same since everquest 2 launched...

Cub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #41
ecoskii

Loremaster

high excitement.... game froze as usual but for a really pleasant change it was whilst I was rebuffing - oh the joys in my life..

I have particle set to zero (this is NOT a fix - the game is still BUGGED and it makes some encounters more of a pain)  and now I have to try sound of as well??  Maybe i will have to try and play the game using my sense of smell only soon, shortly followed by telepathy and reading tea leaves

Any progress on this?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #42
Verrie77

Loremaster

ecoskii wrote:

high excitement.... game froze as usual but for a really pleasant change it was whilst I was rebuffing - oh the joys in my life..

It has happened to me one time...when buffing groupbuffs ..it was in tombs of mad crusader.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #43
Tehom

Loremaster

So far, I haven't frozen while turning master volume off but keeping spell results at 1, and normally I'd freeze once or twice a night with both audio and spell results on. I'm hopeful that this might demonstrate it's an audio issue, but it's too early to say anything definite.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #44
Trandom
Server: Venekor
Guild: Highkeep Heros

Loremaster

I also have looked up once while buffing, it was march 7, in Venril Sathirs Chamber, in the late afternoon pst.

My latest look up was in Veshan's Peak at 5:12  pm pst Sunday March 15, while casting single target ward, in the middle of killing Silverwing.  Thank goodness it didn't wipe the raid and the OT Mystic is really good at picking up the wards when i go LD.  However she has been expieriancing the same issue, just less often and usually not on raids.

I always run with my master volume either off or down so low I can't hear it, so i don't think it is an issue with the sound.  I think it is in issue with procs, and spells, cast time of the spell, and spell effects, all combined at once.  But that is my opinion and I am no expert.

Trandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #45
Cub

General

Well someing new for me after all the crashing last night I decided to Flush everquest 2 from my system and reinstall it........

Seemed to help for a while  I set the exact same settings loaded from the setting file played a bit restarted the app and the PC a few times.

but then decided to change one just now after reading lowering sounds, may help before I had  max simulatinus sounds set to the max  of 64 then I lowered it to 32  then hit ok then went to 34 hit ok.    I use a sound blaster xi-fi 64mb so I always turn it to max because  I never see a peformance drop with it. I always was running EAX 4. it is a PCI model.

After changing the sounds I ran around my guilds hall for a while. When I was running I locked up  in the same way as always not doing anything just running through the guild hall.  So maybe it is sound related, it did not seem to like me messing with the sound settings.

I was alone this time and nobody was even near me.

Character name Tetris

server oasis

Zone antonica biggist guild hall ,

crash time 10:30 pm mountain time march 18.

Locked up again on thundering steeps  on march 19: 1:38 AM mountain time while casting Ice comet in a group.

Can a GM maybe follow around somebody here who crashes a lot and see what is going on for  awhile or look at there logs of actions (if they keep any?)

Old 03-20-2009, 03:32 AM   #46
Tehom

Loremaster

Froze a few more times tonight - first after about 2 hours in lesser faydark while casting group ward, and had sound off, so that doesn't seem to help. I think it was just a coincidence that I hadn't frozen yet with it off. Turned off spell results, froze about 2 hours later while casting group heal (wild accretion), so at least it was a different spell.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #47
Cub

General

CRashed again  with my assasin this time  was with a necormancer  he was casting some group spell or somebody was. a bunch of partciles was around us when i locked up.  as always during a fight.

3 other  people in the group  locked up with me.

NEktoulus castle at 2:22 am mountain time

server oasis.

character Sqaures.

Also after most likely has nothing to do with it

i got this crazy bug where it says i had 654566  or something secounds to camp. i logged in the wrong character so i just logged back out and got that.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #48
ecoskii

Loremaster

completely and uttely sick of this fing bug. Three crashes in Palace tonight and no comment or progress 

Old 03-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #49
ecoskii

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

ecoskii wrote:

Here's an opportunity to do nothing.....  This did not FIX the game - we are just all trying to avoid your bug.  And it doesn't 'fix' it as i crashed 3 times tonight in Palace.  Happens on 3 entirely different PCs with entirely different set up as I have posted many many times in your thread that you originally started in July of last year but only playing mystic and it is always proportional to the amount of healing.  So have you got a test rig running on this - do we have to do that too?

Old 03-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #50
Tehom

Loremaster

Would it be helpful if we took windows screenshots of what our screen looked like when it freezes? I think all of us are freezing at more or less the same time during casting, so maybe that could at least pinpoint the time when it occurs.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #51
Rothgar

Developer

Chath@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Would it be helpful if we took windows screenshots of what our screen looked like when it freezes? I think all of us are freezing at more or less the same time during casting, so maybe that could at least pinpoint the time when it occurs.

Sure, any information like that might prove to be helpful.

I'm sorry that we don't have any more information on this issue.  Keep in mind that internally we are running on GU51 and as I mentioned before, some changes were made that may have fixed this issue.  Trying to separate them out from the rest of the update is the tough part.  This could be one reason why we aren't able to reproduce it internally.

I'd be interested to know if you copy your character to Test_Copy, can you reproduce this problem there.  If not, that would indicate the problem was solved with the changes in GU51.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #52
ashen1973

Loremaster

Over the last few weeks I've had a lot of lock-ups when grouping and raiding, until I read this thread I didnt notice the similarities between lock-ups.

Now that I have been paying attention there is definitely a link between the lock-ups.

Character : Kalyyn

Class/level : Templar 80

Server : Splitpaw

The lockups occur when I cast 'Repent'. The game will freeze for 20-40 seconds and then continue (no complete crash normally).

Over the last week where I have been monitoring it closely, I have noticed it has only happened when I have a Pally tanking or a shaman ingroup/raid. Hasnt happened once in my usual group where I am normally solo-healing a Zerker or healing alongside a Warden.

Maybe something to do with 2 wards conflicting?

--Quote from John Smedley, CEO of SOE, Oct 07

ashen1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #53
Vortexelemental
Server: The Bazaar
Guild: Wherever the Wind May Blow

Loremaster

Kadou

Defiler 80

The Bazaar

Very annoying happening semi frequently and actually almost made me miss my mythical update the other night... if it wasnt for quests being updated while LD still i would have not gotten my mythical. Happens either not all, or a couple times in a night, as well as i have noticed in groups now it can happen too.

The Casting Bar for me always looks like this |-------------------------      |  when i LD, its like 1/8th from the end.(always on a ward)

Ah, you went and made me giggle.

There goes my sandwich.
Vortexelemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #54
Yimway

Loremaster

Vortexelemental@The Bazaar wrote:

The Casting Bar for me always looks like this |-------------------------      |  when i LD, its like 1/8th from the end.(always on a ward)

Just to be clear, would it be true that the remaining casting block represents 'one tick' of progress?

I believe this crash to actually happen immediately after the spell completes casting and the final tick is never rendered by the client.

Rothgar, correct me if I'm wrong, but...

1) I believe the client starts the spell casting, this triggers a server check (can client cast now), server responds ok to cast.

2) Client then begins rendering the casting progress bar, and the client times the spell cast based upon the casting time returned in previous server side casting check.

3) On the last 'tick' of casting the client reconfirms with server, am I ok to complete casting?, which checks for client hacking of spell casting time, if the toon is still alive, and other misc conditions.

3a) we notice spell casting lag frequently 'hanging' at the last tick when servers are not responsive to this last check, or when the client /server appear to be slightly out of time sync.

4) Server responds cast successful, client then renders final casting particle effects as well as sounds.

I believe the client is locking on either the render command or play sound command, but possibly some other portion of the client code that executes on successful spell completion being returned from server.

It's something that happens with defilers for sure, and may be related to other sound calls at the same exact instance, or other particles, its hard to say.  Maybe even related to what I queue next?  Possibly spells that have an oncasting sound like the stun cure?

I've noticed this 'defiler locking' issue for years now, I'm confident it is not machine or driver dependent as I've  experienced it multiple times on a dozen different machines running any flavor of supported drivers and OS's.

I regret I haven't reported more exact zone / times on this report as I've simply just not been playing my defiler that much anymore.  I do want to support you any way I can to fix this problem as it has been the source of SIGNIFICANT aggrivation for me.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #55
Rothgar

Developer

Atan, it works something like that.  The server sends a message to the client when the spell is done casting which closes the casting bar among other things.  Its very possible that the timing is off a bit and that its occuring when the spell completed even though the casting bar isn't done.  It just depends on how fast the spell is casting

For you guys having this problem with wards, do you know if its always the same spell or multiple spells?

Also, the client begins casting animations when it starts, not when it ends.  So it could be related to a particle effect or sound file that occurs near the end of a casting animation.

We also think it might have something to do with a combination of buffs such as a damage intercept on a player that you are warding.  Whatever it is, its not a simple set of circumstances or it would be easy to reproduce.  For this to occur, everything has to line up just right. 

Is there a common link that we haven't discovered yet, like this only occurs when grouped with a Paladin?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #56
Yimway

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Atan, it works something like that.  The server sends a message to the client when the spell is done casting which closes the casting bar among other things.  Its very possible that the timing is off a bit and that its occuring when the spell completed even though the casting bar isn't done.  It just depends on how fast the spell is casting

as a damage intercept on a player that you are warding.  Whatever it is, its not a simple set of circumstances or it would be easy to reproduce.  For this to occur, everything has to line up just right. 

Is there a common link that we haven't discovered yet, like this only occurs when grouped with a Paladin?

It happens on either single target or group wards, however 95% of my crashes have been on group ward.  I do not carry soulward spec very often, and can not recall it ever happening on soulward.

It is NOT related to a Paladin being present.

I play in a fairly regular group

guard, temp, defiler, assasin, dirge, +misc dps

I know it has happened:

guard, temp, defiler, dirge, misc dps

guard, warden, defiler, dirge, misc dps

guard, defiler, dirge, misc dps

Wife plays a dirge, and almost always grouped with her, hard to say its relevant to a dirge stoneskin proc or something, but anything is possible.

I'm leaning towards particles or sounds (just gut feeling), but I'm not sure this happens with any frequency to our mystics.  I'll try to discuss that with them more and report back.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #57
Geothe

Loremaster

I play my defiler alt occassionally when needed for raids, and this has been happening for a very long time.Like Atan said above, it definitely has nothing to do with a Paladin, since there no Pallys on raids in my guild.

The crash always occurs just at the very end of the spell cast (the progress bar is nearly at the end).I've only had the crash occur when casting wards.  Mainly the group ward, I dont recall it ever happening with a single target ward before, but it may have and I just dont remember.

I dont think its tied to a specific gear proc or something like that, as my defiler essentially has completely different gear now than he did a year ago, and it was happening then as well.

Smed: 5) This [LoN] is not some slippery slope towards selling items directly in EQ & EQ II.

Lie #3: Station Cash. Enough Said.

Geothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #58
Rothgar

Developer

I also am leaning away from it being related to particle effects.  I'm sure many of you have tried raiding with your particles completely off and still had the freeze.  However, if this is not the case, let me know.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #59
Tehom

Loremaster

I'm often in an all caster group, so figure 4 casters and a troubador, possibly grouped with a cleric. It's much more rare for me to freeze with particles off than with them on, but both happen. It can happen out of combat (casting group ward right before we start a fight) - for example, I was casting a group ward before triggering Gynok, and since I'm the one who actually clicks the clicky in his room to make him attackable, I'm certain no one engaged in fighting. However, other people could (and probably were) casting wards or reactives at the time.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #60
ashen1973

Loremaster

I went out and tested this a bit more today

Following group, running Atrebes lab

Zerker

Templar (Me)

Warden

Warlock

Ranger

Swashie

Not one lock-up

group earlier in the day

Pally

templar (Me)

Mystic

Wizard

Assassin

Dirge

Both myself and the mystic had multiple lock-ups while in Crucible.

I'll go through the parses later and see if i can get some rough times for you

--Quote from John Smedley, CEO of SOE, Oct 07

ashen1973 is offline   Reply With Quote