EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 AM   #61
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus

Loremaster

Freliant wrote:
shaunfletcher wrote:

Just a 'report' from a small guild in case its useful.

Blackburrow server. Small guild, level 24. 2 recruiters online, noone afk. 14 guilds showing in the guild window. No sign of us in there.

Shaun

Who were you doing the search with. As I understand it, it shows the best guilds that are recruiting for the level range you are at. So if you log in your level 20 char, you should not see the level 80 mostly guilds, but instead guilds with an average level around what you have logged in.

Some people seem to forget this point, and when their guilds have alot of players of various levels bringing down the average level of the guild to say, 30, then when a level 80 logs in from that same guild and does a search to see where they stand in the recruitment windows, they don't see their guild, but instead all the level 80 raiding guilds that are just exhibiting their guild...

That should only matter if there were 40 guilds listed though no? with only 14 listed then ours should be up, even if it was the 15th!
Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #62
Rothgar

Developer

Thursday morning we plan on hot-fixing a new feature.  This isn't something we normally do mid-GU cycle, but we wanted to make some changes to the guild recruiting window in time for the Guild Recruiting Faire happening this weekend.The recruiting window will still perform a default search when it is opened.  However, we've changed the metrics to hopefully provide better results.  Guilds that have players within 10 levels of your character will be weighted higher than before.  Also, recruiters are no longer required to be online for your guild to show up.  While this might not provide instant gratification to those that are seeking to speak with a guild at that moment, they will at least see a wider variety of guilds and can perhaps contact one of the recruiters at a later time.In addition we've added a filter window that will allow you to customize your search a bit more.  The filter window will let you specify the playstyle, up to 2 descriptive tags and more.We've also added a new field to the recruiting tab on the guild window... minimum level.  The default search will show guilds that are recruiting up to 10 levels higher than your character.  The advanced filter will let you specify any minimum level, or none at all.Also, guilds will no longer show up in a search if none of the archetype checkboxes are checked.These changes were done on relatively short notice and unfortunately we've found at least one bug that slipped through.  We are planning on hotfixing this bug on Friday.  (Something else we rarely do)Hopefully everyone will find this new recruiting window to be much more user friendly.
Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:28 AM   #63
TabrisNightwind

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:
Thursday morning we plan on hot-fixing a new feature.  This isn't something we normally do mid-GU cycle, but we wanted to make some changes to the guild recruiting window in time for the Guild Recruiting Faire happening this weekend.The recruiting window will still perform a default search when it is opened.  However, we've changed the metrics to hopefully provide better results.  Guilds that have players within 10 levels of your character will be weighted higher than before.  Also, recruiters are no longer required to be online for your guild to show up.  While this might not provide instant gratification to those that are seeking to speak with a guild at that moment, they will at least see a wider variety of guilds and can perhaps contact one of the recruiters at a later time.In addition we've added a filter window that will allow you to customize your search a bit more.  The filter window will let you specify the playstyle, up to 2 descriptive tags and more.We've also added a new field to the recruiting tab on the guild window... minimum level.  The default search will show guilds that are recruiting up to 10 levels higher than your character.  The advanced filter will let you specify any minimum level, or none at all.Also, guilds will no longer show up in a search if none of the archetype checkboxes are checked.These changes were done on relatively short notice and unfortunately we've found at least one bug that slipped through.  We are planning on hotfixing this bug on Friday.  (Something else we rarely do)Hopefully everyone will find this new recruiting window to be much more user friendly.
<3. <3. <3. A change I've been waiting for...for a LONG time. Glad to see this thing is finally getting some well deserved attention.
TabrisNightwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #64
Taevin
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Corruption of Reverie

Loremaster

Thanks for the quick turnaround on this Rothgar! I'm looking forward to seeing the improved tool.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #65
Powers

Loremaster

Outstanding!  Truly, truly outstanding.  This sounds like what we all hoped the tool would be all along.I'll be logging in around 8 PDT to check it out.  =)  Any advance warning on what the bug is?Powers  &8^]
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #66
Rijacki

Tester

Rothgar wrote:
Thursday morning we plan on hot-fixing a new feature.  This isn't something we normally do mid-GU cycle, but we wanted to make some changes to the guild recruiting window in time for the Guild Recruiting Faire happening this weekend.
Has the issue of less than 40 guilds showing up been addressed? or are the improved filters suppose to "fix" that issue?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #67
DaFriar

Loremaster

Way to go Dev team! A clear case of listening to feedback and adjusting as necessary! SMILEYLet's see how it goes!!

Holy Meatshield

Master Alchemist
DaFriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #68
Razlath

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:
Thank you very much for this Rothgar and team.  Having the Guild Tool working effectively is great news.  I don't think anyone wants to recruit in open chat, but the previous tool left little choice if you wanted to build up a guild quickly especially if you were aiming towards raiding in that guild (so you need 24 peeps).  This should help a lot and is very much appreciated.

Player of Dartak, Darsjach, and Darmeanglur on Nektulos
Guild Leader of Fist of the Overlord (Full Content Guild)
Razlath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #69
Noaani

Loremaster

Now that the guild recruitment window does not limit itself to guilds with recruiters online, I was able to look at the number of guilds being listed.

After looking at the window from 3 accounts, 25 different toons ranging in level from 9 to 80, both guilded and unguilded, I can say that reguardless of what is supposed to be happening, there is never more than 25 guilds on the list.

I don't know if this was changed in this last patch, but that is how many are being listed. Other than that, they were some nice changes added in.

The superior man knows what is right.
The inferior man knows what will sell.

Confucius

Noaani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #70
Rothgar

Developer

Powers wrote:
Any advance warning on what the bug is?
Yes, if you scroll all the way down in the list, and then do a new filter that would yield less results, the display can become corrupted.  This won't cause a crash, but the information is not correct.  Pressing one of the scroll buttons should fix the display.  This bug will be hotfixed tomorrow.I'm sure we'll make additional tweaks to the window, possibly even before the next game update.  I did notice that its capping at 25, so I'll look into that further.Since we no longer require recruiters to be online, I was thinking about removing the recruiter picture from the mini guild display on the left.  This would give us more room to put other information.  For example, I'd like it to show all archetypes that the guild is recruiting instead of just displaying the icon for YOUR archetype.
Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #71
Anordil
Server: Lucan DLere
Guild: The Order of the Silver Tree

Loremaster

Oh, my goodness, Rothgar, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Anordil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #72
Brook

Tester

Just having a working filter and choice of selection is all many of us ever wanted. Thank you and the team for taking a little time to get this straight finally.

But seriously, you're the kind of guy that zones into gears without a healer and spends the whole match talking about the fact there isn't a healer instead of contributing. I hate you, and everyone like you that plays this game. Please spend less time whining and more time winning, it contributes to the general growth of the game and makes gameplay more enjoyable for all.

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #73
TabrisNightwind

Loremaster

Aye, now that I've gotten a chance to play around with it, I too have noticed that the tool still caps out mid-20s-ish. But, they know this and are lookin' at it. That's all that matters *nods.*I'm having mixed feelings though about the offline guilds and their recruiting. I mean...yea, when it was just only the guilds that were online, and the supposed cap was 40, there seemed to be enough "room". So, I guess what I'm saying is, will guilds with recruiters online get higher priority over the ones that don't have recruiters online? A list of guilds with no recruiters online don't help much :3.Other than that, awesome job. I'm loving the new filter system.
TabrisNightwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #74
GrunEQ

Tester

I posted in Community News before reading this....so I'm glad you are looking into the number of guilds listed.  Many thanks for working on this!

"O to be a voyager and a yoyeur no longer."

GrunEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #75
Writer Cal

Loremaster

Thank you, thank you, thank you for working on this!  And thank you for looking into the lower than 40 display cap.  These all sound like great changes.

Member of the Tom Tobey Fan Club since 2010.

Homeshow Designs:

Deluxe Seaside Cottage

Reckoning Goes Corporate
Writer Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #76
Locano

Loremaster

I really appreciate your effort in helping improve the recruiting tool.  I do have a few comments, though.Also, recruiters are no longer required to be online for your guild to show up.I really don't like this change.  I think it makes sense for a recruiter to have to be online (and not afk) for their guild to display on the recruiting window because it shows that the times the guild members are on are the same time that the potential recruit is on.  I think the Filter tool is great!  Big thumbs up on that!It seems that the recruiting tool still isn't showing the 40 guilds it is supposed to (currently 23 on Antonia Bayle).  Please fix this as soon as you can =D
Locano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #77
Writer Cal

Loremaster

Mostly all great changes so far.

I actually don't mind that it shows guilds when no recruiters are on.  We ironically got a new recruit this way, the time she was looking happened to be when we weren't on, but then she kept an eye out for us and tracked us down later.

However:  Is there a way to weight it so guilds with recruiters on get higher priority than those that don't?

Member of the Tom Tobey Fan Club since 2010.

Homeshow Designs:

Deluxe Seaside Cottage

Reckoning Goes Corporate
Writer Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #78
GrunEQ

Tester

So far only 25 guilds or LESS showing up on guild recuit....please make the full 40 show up or every guild show up if less than 40.  Even less than 25 show up and still guilds that have recuiters are not listed....what gives?

"O to be a voyager and a yoyeur no longer."

GrunEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #79
Dassault

Loremaster

Crushbone server.  Only 17-22 guilds show up depending on the filters that are set.. none of them are showing our guild and we have active recruiters online with all the right settings.

Doesn't look like it's yet working correctly. SMILEY

Old 07-09-2008, 04:52 AM   #80
Pusska
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Unsung Heroes

Loremaster

Just a quick note here to say that according to my list, our guild is not showing up in the 'default' listing. But I asked someone from another guild and according to them we WERE listed in their default listing. So perhaps another change here is that you cannot see your own guild listed?Might be worth checking with someone outside your guild at least. I haven't figured out what is happening with it just yet.
Pusska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #81
Kaalenarc
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Blackhawks

Loremaster

Can we please get an option (preferably the default) to show guilds with recruiters online only?  AB has a huge number of guilds and Im sure  many are being left off the list because their spots are being taken by guilds that are offline. (doesnt affect me personally but its something I hear often.)

Also - theres no contact option for offline guilds. If the recruiter isnt online when I am playing - what is the liklihood that he will be? Add an in game email button...

"Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game." - Gary Gygax

Kaalenarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #82
greenmantle

Loremaster

Kaalenarc@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Can we please get an option (preferably the default) to show guilds with recruiters online only?  AB has a huge number of guilds and Im sure  many are being left off the list because their spots are being taken by guilds that are offline. (doesnt affect me personally but its something I hear often.)

Also - theres no contact option for offline guilds. If the recruiter isnt online when I am playing - what is the liklihood that he will be? Add an in game email button...

QFE currently it seems the only choice to expand a small guild is spam like an idiot through the level channels bugging people because the list is permacamped by the same large guilds. Last time i checked during late night play 2/3 of those had no recruiters on line yet my guild with recruiters on line looking for late night players didnt show up SMILEY

The current system will just contine the problaem that smaller guilds wither and die and leave the game leaving just the mega guilds.

greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #83
Shadowman19

Loremaster

ok i am logged on right now with my lvl20 char,on Nektulos server,i am looking at the guild recruiting window and the top 2 listed guilds have NO recruiters on line yet they are on the top of the list.

And only 24 listed guilds.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM   #84
SisterTheresa

The Vigilant

Kaalenarc@Antonia Bayle wrote:

There should be a spot for a guild leader to put a web address (if they have any) and doesn't the name of the recruiter show up?  Write it down.

And why should the online guilds get priority?  Isn't fair for those who play certain times (such as mine whose main play times are 8pm EST and afterwards)

No kidding it doesn't affect you ... duh.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #85
Noxxia
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Crimson Alchemy

Loremaster

As of today, the guild recruitment window on the Butcherblock server still does not function correctly. My level 52 guild with no minimum requirements for joining very rarely shows up, if it all, even with 5-6 recruiters online at multiple levels. I do however, have the unique opportunity to see 8-10 guild that are recruiting with no one on in my recruitment window. I am like hey, if there is no one on, what is the point of that guild even being listed. I have had recruiters on for 24-48 hours straight and cant get the guild in the window and meanwhile there is a huge amount of seemingly deaad guilds that are listed. I would think if you were recruiting for your guild and your guild showed up as having no one on for an entire day, what you are advertising is "We are not available to help your toon", because basically, the proof is right there.
Noxxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #86
Ashlian

Loremaster

They simply need to increase the number of available guilds that show up on the recruitment list. You can't tell me that there are some kind of limitations that they have on server space so they can't do a nice sort for us. So give us a better list, please.  Also, the change to show guilds with no online recruiters was a bad one. If you can't be bothered to have recruiters online then your guild is not that interested in recruitment. Give the guilds who actually have people online available for recruitment the priority please.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #87
Razlath

Loremaster

Ashlian@Mistmoore wrote:
They simply need to increase the number of available guilds that show up on the recruitment list. You can't tell me that there are some kind of limitations that they have on server space so they can't do a nice sort for us. So give us a better list, please.  Also, the change to show guilds with no online recruiters was a bad one. If you can't be bothered to have recruiters online then your guild is not that interested in recruitment. Give the guilds who actually have people online available for recruitment the priority please.

I agree but for slightly different reasons. There are 24 hours in a day and most guilds cover maybe 4 of them well.  By having guilds show that are not online you are forced to slog through a list of guilds who probably don't even play during your playtime.  At the very least there should be an option to include / not include offline guilds (a checkbox right on the front window not buried in the search screen).  It isn't a matter of whether your guild deserves recruit space or not because you are not online, but instead a matter of the usefulness for people looking for a guild.  What good does it do for someone to get excited about a guild and go through the trouble to contact them when they play 2am to 5am EST and I play 7pm to 9pm CST?

Player of Dartak, Darsjach, and Darmeanglur on Nektulos
Guild Leader of Fist of the Overlord (Full Content Guild)
Razlath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #88
Ama

General

I've had some recent problems with the guild window Rothgar.  For some reason i've seen nights where a guild has no recruiters online yet their guild is listed while my guild has atleast 2-3 recruiters online that are not AFK. 
Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #89
Fenris
Server: Unrest
Guild: Shard Collectors

Loremaster

I don't know for sure if it caps out at 40, but it does cap out. I occassionally go looking thru the guild recruitment window to gather ideas to keep things fresh for our own Guild Recruitment window without sounding repeatative with other guild's postings. Also, from time to time, I like to check out other guilds demographics without always having to hop into EQ2Players site to do so and the recruiting window usually helps with the info I'm looking for at the time. There are times I am looking for a specific guild to show up, and this is usually when someone has asked about the recruiting tool and have gone thru and set it up or are setting it up. I'll hunt for them trying to see if they show. They don't. So it would seem that the tool is somewhat broken if this happens, which from the various guild leaders that I have helped with information on how to set up it is. I will usually follow the recruitment window for several days after helping other guild leaders to see if the not showing issue is similiar to how EQ2Players is broken and doesn't update stuff for up to a week with still no luck.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #90
tikasa

Loremaster

Ashlian@Mistmoore wrote:

No recruiter should mean they are not listed.   If no one is on when you are playing why would you want to join them?   Also the biggest guilds never drop off even if they do not have a recruiter on for days...   

Your policy for guild halls encourages guilds to grow.. but you only make it possible for the big guilds to keep growing...

tikasa is offline   Reply With Quote