EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #31
Deson

Loremaster

kalaria wrote:

Grats Naggy players.Utter shame there's nothing the works for the rest of the servers asside from AB.

Merges if the hardware tests well based on what's been said.

I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom. I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break my doom and gloom.I will not let Domino break...
Deson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #32
Rakah

Loremaster

This change was amazing! We raided last night with none to very very minimal lag in several zones, including pulling the contested mobs. Aftwards some of us did warfields and open world pvp, again with very minimal lag.

The game was actually fun again, great change!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #33
Rothgar

Developer

Nariox@Nagafen wrote:

We were discussing in guild chat today about this but is there any way we can get confirmation Rothgar that the entire Nagafen server is on the new hardware or are you currently still in the process of monitoring the loads and transferring and all that good stuffs? It surely seems like the entire server is running 500% better than it used to.

Its important to understand that the lag isn't really about which hardware that the zones were running on but more about capacity.  The older hardware is more than capabile of running EQII zones, but as we've added expansions and more zones to the game (ie: guild halls, housing, etc) we've just been pushing our capacity to the limits.  With the new hardware, it greatly increased the capacity of Nagafen.  So even if your raid zone is running on one of the older servers, you'll notice a huge difference because that server is doing a lot less work than before.

Next week we will begin phasing out the older servers on Nagafen and continuing to monitor performance.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #34
BlueEternal

Loremaster

Ah okies, that explains it very well then. I appreciate the response Rothgar.

BlueEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #35
Myrien
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Paill@Nagafen wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Please let us know what your experiences are on Nagafen today after some of the hardware changes.  We monitored a warfields event this morning and it appeared to be running very smoothly.  I wasn't able to log in and check it out for myself, but it appeared that the zone should have been relatively lag-free for having 120+ people in the zone.

Please post your experiences here.

This is 10x better than any new content you could have ever givin us.

Havent got to raid yet, dont know if you even upgraded our raid zones yet but If you did I would <3 you.

The simple answer is that you should see a lot less lag in all zones.  But as with anything there's always room for issues to crop up which is why we need to monitor the new hardware and our load balancing system to make sure things are behaving correctly.

From my angle, things look awesome.  I'm going to pop into Nagafen shortly to see how things are going.  If you're seeing good things, let us know.

We're shooting for early next week for AB to get the same upgrade treatment.

That's fantastic news.  Then the high-end raiders can stop complaining about lag keeping them from killing hard mode Oxyclean.  *cheesy cymbal splash* Do I get cross-thread points?!

Myrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #36
Cepheus80

Loremaster

The performance upgrade, so far, seems to be a great success. I've seen minimal, to almost no lag. Amazing change, and a great investment. Thank you.

Cepheus80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #37
Notsovilepriest
Server: Nagafen
Guild: Ill Gotten Gain

Loremaster

Noticed since the upgrades a long delay in joining BGs and half the time crashing right out with truancy, I'm wondering if it could be an error going from new systems to older.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #38
thog_zork

Loremaster

what is with other servers ? especially localized one which already suffer from the one-fly translation lag ?

thog_zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #39
Roald

Loremaster

Notsovilepriest@Nagafen wrote:

Noticed since the upgrades a long delay in joining BGs and half the time crashing right out with truancy, I'm wondering if it could be an error going from new systems to older.

Also experienced this.

Milambers

Qtoon

Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #40
asaron

Loremaster

lag is better but still there  but iv'e had terrible rendering issues since the upgrade not my card or drivers

Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #41
JenoJeno

Lord

Can't stress enough how awesome this change was / is...

DPS increase, Lag decrease, and Fun increase! SMILEY

So now, let me direct this thread to the pvp discussion thread -> ... ok maybe not.. but thanks for these changes so far!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #42
Sordes

Loremaster

Has there been any talk about how upgrades (if any) are going to be approached on the other servers?  I'm on unrest, which is most of the times light population so I realize that probably puts us further down on the list and understandably so.

But would decisions on hardware upgrades vs. server population perhaps give us any indication on server merges if they are going to happen as well? (As in is it a cost vs. effect of population size and server usage compared to other populations?)  Not requesting one, but I could deal with a server merge if it is going to have the effect that it seems to be having for players on Nagafen SMILEY

I guess what I'm asking is how does server population effect the said resource issues brought about by all the added xpac's/content on the servers if at all?  Or is it more or less dependant on the amount of data not so much as player interaction with the data on the servers? (i.e. would a light population server not see as drastic an improvement compared to AB or Naggy server having generally a higher population online most of the time)

Sordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #43
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Sordes wrote:

Has there been any talk about how upgrades (if any) are going to be approached on the other servers?  I'm on unrest, which is most of the times light population so I realize that probably puts us further down on the list and understandably so.

But would decisions on hardware upgrades vs. server population perhaps give us any indication on server merges if they are going to happen as well? (As in is it a cost vs. effect of population size and server usage compared to other populations?)  Not requesting one, but I could deal with a server merge if it is going to have the effect that it seems to be having for players on Nagafen

I guess what I'm asking is how does server population effect the said resource issues brought about by all the added xpac's/content on the servers if at all?  Or is it more or less dependant on the amount of data not so much as player interaction with the data on the servers? (i.e. would a light population server not see as drastic an improvement compared to AB or Naggy server having generally a higher population online most of the time)

They haven't announced anything officially yet. My understanding is that they're planning to merge servers to try and get populations in the AB/Naggy range. The combined HW from two smaller servers alone might be enough to mitigate lag on them because it reduces the amount of zones that are sitting there consuming resources with zero or only a few players in them (all non-instanced zones run 100% of the time, even when there's no one there). The HW from AB/Naggy will probably go to any servers that don't get a merge (maybe CB?) as well as any places they might need extra hardware to get performance on a merged world up.

They're probably still watching AB and Naggy for now to see how the load is working on the new hardware once they have all or most of the old hardware removed. That and FanFaire was this last weekend so they werern't really able to be planning merges while away.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #44
isest

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Nariox@Nagafen wrote:

We were discussing in guild chat today about this but is there any way we can get confirmation Rothgar that the entire Nagafen server is on the new hardware or are you currently still in the process of monitoring the loads and transferring and all that good stuffs? It surely seems like the entire server is running 500% better than it used to.

Its important to understand that the lag isn't really about which hardware that the zones were running on but more about capacity.  The older hardware is more than capabile of running EQII zones, but as we've added expansions and more zones to the game (ie: guild halls, housing, etc) we've just been pushing our capacity to the limits.  With the new hardware, it greatly increased the capacity of Nagafen.  So even if your raid zone is running on one of the older servers, you'll notice a huge difference because that server is doing a lot less work than before.

Next week we will begin phasing out the older servers on Nagafen and continuing to monitor performance.

Sounds interensting but I do have a question one I dont see yet.  A couple of weeks back Rothgar you said there were going to be some anouncments on server mergers I was wondering we have any more info on that.

Thanks

isest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #45
Vivender

Elder

Are you devs aware yet of the strange lag that has popped up in Nagafen WF's, particularly Antonica and occasionally the (barren) EL WF's? It began about a month and a half ago, and did not seemed centered around any particular update.

People believe that there are lag hacks responsible, but none of the threads are getting a response from you guys.

Care to illucidate the manner, from a dev's perspective?

Vivender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #46
SOE-MOD-08

Community Moderator

Please do not bump old threads.  Thank you.  

SOE-MOD-08 is offline   Reply With Quote