EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #31
Rothgar

Developer

Barx@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Banditman wrote:

Phaso@Unrest wrote:

Is that possibly related to the issue which seemed to crop up with the SF release where stopping (after moving) does not seem to register correctly. What I mean there is I will run, stop, and begin to cast something, only to have the client tell me midway through casting that the spell was interrupted, presumably because the server still thinks I'm moving. I never noticed this behavior prior to SF unless my Internet connection was going south.

I still see that pretty regularly.  Stop moving.  Start casting.  Interrupted (non-AE, etc).

Yeah I see that all the time as well. You not moving any more and the spell cast don't seem to get there in the right order sometimes, so if you're quick to fire something off when you stop it gets interrupted half a second or so later.

Yeah, that's strange because if you stop before you cast, that message should definitely get their first because the packets are ordered.  There must be something else happening behind the scenes that's not so obvious.

Rothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #32
Xill

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Barx@Antonia Bayle wrote:

Banditman wrote:

Phaso@Unrest wrote:

Is that possibly related to the issue which seemed to crop up with the SF release where stopping (after moving) does not seem to register correctly. What I mean there is I will run, stop, and begin to cast something, only to have the client tell me midway through casting that the spell was interrupted, presumably because the server still thinks I'm moving. I never noticed this behavior prior to SF unless my Internet connection was going south.

I still see that pretty regularly.  Stop moving.  Start casting.  Interrupted (non-AE, etc).

Yeah I see that all the time as well. You not moving any more and the spell cast don't seem to get there in the right order sometimes, so if you're quick to fire something off when you stop it gets interrupted half a second or so later.

Yeah, that's strange because if you stop before you cast, that message should definitely get their first because the packets are ordered.  There must be something else happening behind the scenes that's not so obvious.

I see this happen as well. Sometimes I will get halfway through my group ward before it tells me its interrupted. But it doesnt try to recast it like I was interrupted. Just stops me entirely and doesnt cast my next que'd spell either. So I have to reclick the spell I had que'd after the group ward to get it to start casting again. Usually during heavy lag, like the system doesnt recognize you have stopped running. But you might also get 1-2 or more seconds of lag after you stop, before you start to cast, then get interrupted and then cant cast the next que'd spell, and so on.

Xill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #33
Aule
Server: Guk

Loremaster

I experience that same stop to cast, start to cast, interrupted bit too. I've noticed that jumping to get to my end point often allows me to cast sooner. Maybe the fact that I stopped "pushing forward" just slighting sooner makes the diff. Also, for the directional lag in underfoot, it is better when your camera angle is facing a nearish cave wall. As opposed to looking out over the emptiness. That may be due to the multiple 7-15 mob encounters peppered all over the place to make people feel good about themselves. Reminds me of the horrible lag going through Castle Mistmoore to get to the inner sanctum.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #34
Writer Cal

Loremaster

It was better last night in LotDQ and Labs than it was last week.  But there was still some noticeable issues with abilities/macros going off -- namely Coverage taking 2-3 (sometimes 4) secs to kick in when it's supposed to be insta-cast, and /autoattack 2 macros not firing off about half the time after using melee CAs.

This is compared to running in the middle of the night when there are far fewer people on, and Coverage kicks in almost immediately and /autoattack 2 macros working -almost- always.

General CA casting lag seemed better, though.

However, and I'm not sure if this was just our server being [Removed for Content] as usual or related to lag or the new changes...we had more issues with people getting booted randomly.  Just mentioning it in case it's related.

Member of the Tom Tobey Fan Club since 2010.

Homeshow Designs:

Deluxe Seaside Cottage

Reckoning Goes Corporate
Writer Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #35
Aule
Server: Guk

Loremaster

We had a lot of issues with people getting booted and going linkdead at inopportune times (like tank linkdead during hard sages fight). There were storms yesterday though so we chalked it up to sketchy internet performance in general.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #36
brammator

Loremaster

yeah, I remember this bug ("stop running, start casting, get interrupted") since eof. not sure about earlier times.

Barren Sky: Rodina illusionist, the Surreal guild.

Barren Sky: Gargantua sk, the Surreal guild.

brammator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #37
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

brammator wrote:

yeah, I remember this bug ("stop running, start casting, get interrupted") since eof. not sure about earlier times.

Yeah EoF sounds about right for when this bug started appearing.

Was that also when they added z-axis checks for interrupts? I remember they "fixed" it so that the movement check for casting started checking z-axis changes sometime around then too (because before you used to be able to "jump-cast" to pull or attack mobs when their pinkie toes were hidden from direct sight).

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #38
Pinino-Lfg

Loremaster

not sure if anyone else is having this problem but my ability speed casting seems snared now, instead of 15 sec spell lag ive been having just pure slow spell casting, even with spell cast speed buffs not just in raids but solo or in groups my abilitys feel very slow now

Old 07-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #39
Pinino-Lfg

Loremaster

double post sorry

Old 07-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #40
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Pinino-Lfg wrote:

not sure if anyone else is having this problem but my ability speed casting seems snared now, instead of 15 sec spell lag ive been having just pure slow spell casting, even with spell cast speed buffs not just in raids but solo or in groups my abilitys feel very slow now

Shouldn't be seeing any change in the actual cast speed (how fast the cast bar moves) unless you changed something about your character to drop a good bit of cast speed. Are your spells showing the same cast time (in the examine of them) as before?

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #41
Hecula

Loremaster

FYI last night about 7pm-ish CST until maybe 10PM-ish CST lag in Palace and Underfoot were about the worst I've seen in a while on Guk.

Hecula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #42
Jardon

Loremaster

Not sure if it is me, the server (Antonia Bayle), or just more people on lately, but it seem like the lag is less in raid zones, but it is greating in general every where.

I have noticed it especially on my assassin, in zone. It feels like I have to wait an extra half second between CAs, or the don't all go off. I am also noticing it when crafting, even in the guild hall, where I have never noticed it before.

Raztok, 90 Troubador/90 Alchemist, Antonia Bayle
Jardok 90 Bruiser/90 Weaponsmith, Antonia Bayle
Razmer, 90 Zerker/90 Armorer, Antonia Bayle
Jarrel, 90 Brig/90 Provisioner, Antonia Bayle
Raznyk, 80 Wizard/90 Carpenter, Antonia Bayle
Jazdar, 90 Inquisitor/90 Sage, Antonia Bayle
Jardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #43
Daine
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Mutiny

Loremaster

Lag on Wednesday the 30th (9-11:30 Central) during the raid was pretty bad.  The spell lag was a little worse or about the same as usual, but it seemed like zoning took a huge setback.  The entire raid was getting stuck zoning for minutes.

Daine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #44
Siddartus

Loremaster

Lag is as pathetic as always   Sunday 18 CET Runnyeye server. Oxdaxius in Stonebrunt. 56 people in zone and about 5-8 secs casting lag. So press button wait 5-8 secs till spell fires /clap

Siddartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #45
Writer Cal

Loremaster

Friday, July 2, casting lag was back to about what it usually is in Labs and Palace raids.  It -might- have been a tiny bit better, but it was really tough to tell any noticeable improvement.

Member of the Tom Tobey Fan Club since 2010.

Homeshow Designs:

Deluxe Seaside Cottage

Reckoning Goes Corporate
Writer Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #46
Siddartus

Loremaster

Monday 20:35 PM (CET) Stonebrunt on Runnyeye. Performance still pathetic in Stonebrunt/Oxdaxius. I invite you to come over and see how pathetic performance is with 53 people in the zone. Either press button 2-3 times before spell casts and wait 5-7 seconds for it to fire or wait 4-5 seconds before spell completes.

It's certainly not progress just ultra bad as always ><

Siddartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #47
andycunny

Loremaster

Monday 5th July, 19:00 - 21:00 GMT (13:00-15:00 PST), Nektulos Server, Stonebrunt Highlands & Sundered Frontier.

Lag was horrendous, several seconds between casting and seeing any vsible response from the game.  UI said i was running at 45-60 FPS, so that tells me your servers suck.  fix them please tyvm!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #48
dragonlady1977

Loremaster

There is no progress.. last night we raided Labs and the lag was horrendous.. I don't normally get lag, but last night was an exception. I have several others in my guild who are constantly lagging behind..

We are on Befallen.

dragonlady1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #49
CoLD MeTaL

Loremaster

I've never been able to get the stopwatch to match what $OE says the spell cast time should be.    And your right that stuff adds up over 10,000 spells cast etc.

CoLD MeTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #50
xpraetorianx

Fansite Staff

The other day on Guk at contested Oxydaxius.  A very noticeable delay in spell casts atleast 2 seconds from the point of clicking an ability.

xpraetorianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #51
Korrupt
Server: Najena
Guild: Shoukin

Loremaster

Expect little to no lag progress outside of Antonia Bayle or Nagafen for quite some time. EQ2 runs on old hardware that can't do the job efficiently anymore. They ordered new hardware for Ab and Nag that should help those 2 servers but the other servers are going to have to wait a long time. They recently obtained hardware from Vanguard that while not as good as the new AB hardware is better than what our servers are running on currently. Instead of using that hardware for current players they chose to use it for their new f2p project and put the rest of us on indefinite hold.

All servers outside of AB and Nag will have to wait quite awhile. First they have to implement the new hardware on AB and Nag, then comes an obersavation period to determine how much the new hardware helped and how many people they can fit on the new hardware. They'll then form a plan to order new hardware but not for each server, they will order as few as possible and merge existing servers to fill up the new equipment. When they know how few servers they need to cram everyone on they'll order the equipment. The order and setup process alone can take another month or longer before any of them actually go into service. That's the timeline we're looking at.

Lets hope they don't merge servers to the point that even on the new hardware, the increased population causes the game to continue with our curent level of lag. I'm sure they have some coding changes that will help some but the major, most direct path they have to increased performance is going to be a long time coming.

Korrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #52
sarg312

Elder

I noticed on the light population servers theres no lag, but on the medium and high population servers its pretty bad, for the most part I think its the worst during peak hours, if I play really early in the morning then its tolerable but the later in the day it gets the worse it gets, evenings are by far the worst for lag, I play on Butcherblock and there are times when I've died because of lag, I would be running around Kelethin and lag would hit and when I was able to move again I would shoot right off a bridge, lol.

sarg312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #53
Ragefighter
Server: Permafrost
Guild: Conviction

Loremaster

I am unsure if this was due to the changes but Last night during my guild's raid there was pretty bad lag spikes that EVERYONE in the zone was experiencing and also the mobs would double up on their aoe attacks, like it would cast a knock up than 3 sec later another of the SAME knock up spells.  This was in temple of zek challenge mode and happened randomly.  not sure if it was intended but we ran the same zones dozens of times and haven't seen this so I figured it had to be something related to the bad lag spikes, so i looked on the forums and found this post...

Also the first named mob casted his curse spell TWO times consecutively causing the raid to receive the curse, we worked through it but it is clearly broken now and the only thing I can link it too is either the recent updates or the changed you implemented to the servers.

Also if you are interested in looking over some logs and what not our server is Permafrost and the raid was from 9pm-12am 9/1/11 in temple of zek foundations of stone challenge mode. 

As I stated in my post there was markedly more lag than the usual lag free raids we have been having since the hardware upgrade.

NOW THAT I LOOKED AT THE POST IT SEEMS TO BE OLD WHY DID SOMEONE POST IN THIS!! lol

Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #54
sarg312

Elder

LOL, I didn't notice the date either, but regardless it would seem that the lag issue is still there, I'm not sure if its just a couple servers or all of them.  I understand that the PvP servers hardware was upgraded but not the rest of them, so this may be why the lag still happens.

sarg312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #55
Graditz

Loremaster

Ever since everything been updated or changed I am now getting lag when fighting now. I go on a raid an now every other spell I cast has a pause before it goes off. If I am lucky that is all that happens sometimes everything just stops all togther for a sec or so then it clears up an goes on. Not good for a main healer on the raids. I have now been tring to lay everything down. All the wards I can do from my mystic or regns from my warden. So when the pause or the freeze hits atleast I have something up to safe gaurd my group for those moments.

Till I saw this thread at first I thought it might have been something from my PC, now I am wondering.