EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire

Go Back   EQ2 Forum Archive @ EQ2Wire > EverQuest II > The Development Corner > Developer Roundtable
Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #121
BubbaCajunOG

Historian

Gungo wrote:

BubbaCajunOG wrote:

Gungo wrote:

BubbaCajunOG wrote:

What do these changes mean to macros that, have either A) Equip offhand-->Usespell. B) Equip armor, equip armor, equip armor,--->Use spell--->2nd Macro Equip armor, Equip armor, Equip armor. (There used to be several buff armor peices that would increase the duration and proc % of cob, without being stuck with these peices for the duration of the whole fight, one macro to equip instantly before cob and one to equip your wanted armor during the fight with another macro as cob was casting.) C) Use spell----> Equip offhand/Shield. (Ive noticed that if i switch out any of my offhands or ranged while in combat my casting spell will stop casting...Why?)

gear exploit. People were casting spells w items that buffed the spell and unequiping the item before cast finished and keeping the buffed effect.

LOL @ calling this gear exploiting.

On a seperate issue.  Why does my spell being cast stop if i switch ranged/mainhand/offhand while in pvp/pve combat?  I understand the 4 second time limit on switching weapons in combat but why does switching your weapons (or drums) cancel a spell already in mid cast?  This has destroyed several macros for fear, knockbacks, roots, snares, and melle ca's.  As a dirge our drum gives many beneficial effects to some of these spells as well the necessity to switch from duel wield to roundshield while in pvp combat.

again you obviously dont understand whats going on it is a gear exploit.

On the weapon side bards would equip the weapon from shard of hate that added 5% reuse to their dps/haste songs and unequip the weapon before the buff finished casting so they could permanently keep the 5% reuse no matter what weapon they equipped. It is a gear exploit to take a macro and abuse a mechanic that gives you benefits when you are obviously not intended to have these effects unless you use these items. 

You sir are mistaken.  The item in question is marrowsong.  Not only did that NOT WORK but if you switched marrowsong out for another weapon it would REMOVE your dps buff as well as your speed buff.  Not only was it not occuring as a problem at all but the solution had HUGE effects on game play ability of all bard classes.  You changed game mechanics for a 5% reuse buff? Really?  And for a weapon whos drop rate is 1% in a RAID ZONE.  ON a class who's worthwhileness is only in their utility to others?  To fix a "problem" that had ALREADY been fixed?  For a weapon whos desirability only existed in its pvp potential of 20% incombat run speed?  Developers are [Removed for Content].

Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #122
Shagrax
Server: Splitpaw
Guild: Nordiska Kompaniet

Loremaster

This is my warlock's spam bashing button, i use all the fastest spells in that one, rest is induvidually managed.I just bashing this button till my apocalypse, distortion, or aoe's are up, saves me from carpal tunnel syndrome... wich i had in the beginning from having too many hotbars...

Ijust put top half of macro and took it in reverse order at the end. The macros came out in reverse order if you spam clicked the macro... It seems to still work... Yes i know i havent placed any aas out yet on my warlock... hence the /useablillity number SMILEY

Shagrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:16 AM   #123
Roldor

Lord

Does anyone know yet whether this change will break Jcap/Gravitas macros that use several lines each with a different target? A guild mate also mentioned that the Illys Time Warp ability would be effected by this as well

A red name response on this query would be awesome but I'll take a response from anyone in the know really.

- Roldy

Roldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #124
EvilAstroboy

Loremaster

Circadian@Unrest wrote:

Roldor wrote:

I use a Jesters Cap macro on my Troubador that has Jcap six times each line with a different players name in the target box. I press the macro once each time Jcap is available and it casts Jcap on whomever is available i.e. doesn't have immunity, is in range, not dead etc. How is this being accomodated for? I can think of exactly the same problem with Dirges Gravitais. Seperate macros for each player, manual targeting, manual tracking are not palatable solutions. Sorry if this has already been answered but I didn't see it answered in the OP and didn't have the time to read all the responses.

- Roldy

I have an idea....lets make jesters and gravitas raidwide temp buff. Or, remove the immunity to it all together. Its dumb to try to find someone in the raid to cast them on just to find out they are immune (over and over and over).

These macros get taken away I promise there wont be as many bards using these buffs as they should be used.

This.

Make these skills groupwide and people wont need target list macros. With the new gear in SF these skills are edging on obsolete anyway, with the exception of Time Warp, and this is 5 seconds every minute and should have been a groupwide skill all along.

EvilAstroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #125
thecynic315

Loremaster

EvilAstroboy wrote:

Circadian@Unrest wrote:

Roldor wrote:

I use a Jesters Cap macro on my Troubador that has Jcap six times each line with a different players name in the target box. I press the macro once each time Jcap is available and it casts Jcap on whomever is available i.e. doesn't have immunity, is in range, not dead etc. How is this being accomodated for? I can think of exactly the same problem with Dirges Gravitais. Seperate macros for each player, manual targeting, manual tracking are not palatable solutions. Sorry if this has already been answered but I didn't see it answered in the OP and didn't have the time to read all the responses.

- Roldy

I have an idea....lets make jesters and gravitas raidwide temp buff. Or, remove the immunity to it all together. Its dumb to try to find someone in the raid to cast them on just to find out they are immune (over and over and over).

These macros get taken away I promise there wont be as many bards using these buffs as they should be used.

This.

Make these skills groupwide and people wont need target list macros. With the new gear in SF these skills are edging on obsolete anyway, with the exception of Time Warp, and this is 5 seconds every minute and should have been a groupwide skill all along.

Wouldn't that change just mean the macro would point to each group instead of each person?

The reality is we shouldnt need a 3rd party to properly use JCap/Gravitas. For myself I have a custom UI plugin that show the countdown timer on each person I cast Gravitas on and will pop up a message when the imunity wears off AND I have set up my Quick Raid Buttons in Profit so I can just click a button on someone and Cast Gravitas on them.

The only reason I went though such lengths is that a macro would need to be set up for each Pug/EVERY healer I ever group with, and Im too lazy to do work EVERY TIME.

But still we shouldnt HAVE to go though all this to use 1 ability.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #126
wardman

Hero

Can you make the macro only capable of 2 ability/item/spell total? Then give us a "chat" option to allow for the regular /gu, /r text? Dont limit the text/chat command just the others. So you can still make a Macro that can cast a spell and que a spell, or equip an item and cast a spell. This would not help the Gravitas and Jcap spells but should fix all other issues. There were some pretty good suggestions about them that could be possible solutions. 

My 2 cents

wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #127
jchan19

Loremaster

Decimatr@Kithicor wrote: { Just brainstorming here, but what if you sent the first TWO available useability commands to the server? Wouldn't that solve the queuing problem? And then don't restrict the useabilityonplayer commands so things with immunity still function properly? Nevermind. Now that I think about it, this would just lead to people doing useabilityonplayer and targeting themselves, unless those were somehow filtered out to only allow the first two and then we're down a rabit hole of complexity that I hadn't considered. } Actually, this is a good idea. Provided client sends the first and the LAST available (in certain cases, the LAST unavailable) useability commands to the server. So that, existing macro can work as before. (Note: Handled differently if the first available useability is instant-cast.) Most of the spams come from some of the DPS who put several spells or CA in a macros and spam it frequently. It is not uncommon for a melee dps to put 4 or more generic damage CAs (i.e. pure damge CAs which has no special casting order or requirement) in a single macro. And, then spam that macro non-stop, unless he need to perform some debuffs, or execute a high damage CA chain. This kind of macro is unlikely to use the "useabilityonplayer" command. On the other hand, the buff macro (e.g. jcap, recast 30 sec) is used only once for a while. And, the buff macro is likely to use the "useabilityonplayer" command. By limiting the spam of "useability" only, everyone will be happy. The spam is cut down, while both DPS and buff macros can work as before.
jchan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #128
StaticLex

Loremaster

Can anyone tell me if the /target_previous command has been changed or is broken?  Currently I have 6 macros setup for curing my group.  They look basically like this (and yes I always use the default UI with no mods whatsoever):

/cancel_spellcast/target_group_member_0/cast Cure/target_previous

I have one of these for all 6 group slots and the way it USED to work before SF is I could have my tank targeted, peck a button and cure anyone in my group, and never lose my tank target.  The way it works NOW however is.. if I hit a macro to cure someone and then hit a macro again to cure someone else, my target switches to the first person who was cured.  I suppose technically it makes sense since that was my previous target but if that's the case then it sucks, I want it to go back to the old way..

If someone can confirm whether this is intended or a bug it would be greatly appreciated.

When you've played this game for ten years and gone to bat seven-thousand times and gotten two-thousand hits do you know what that really means? It means you've gone zero for five-thousand. --- Reggie Jackson
StaticLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #129
dankaro

Loremaster

I'm sorry but what harm is there in allowing for timers in processing commands? If we are worried about someone pushing 1 button to fight then limit the number of commands in a macro to like 3-4 maybe.
dankaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #130
Armawk
Server: Everfrost
Guild: Nos Es Rutilus

Loremaster

StaticLex wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the /target_previous command has been changed or is broken?  Currently I have 6 macros setup for curing my group.  They look basically like this (and yes I always use the default UI with no mods whatsoever):

I have one of these for all 6 group slots and the way it USED to work before SF is I could have my tank targeted, peck a button and cure anyone in my group, and never lose my tank target.  The way it works NOW however is.. if I hit a macro to cure someone and then hit a macro again to cure someone else, my target switches to the first person who was cured.  I suppose technically it makes sense since that was my previous target but if that's the case then it sucks, I want it to go back to the old way..

If someone can confirm whether this is intended or a bug it would be greatly appreciated.

Could you add a cast of something instant and trivial on the target at the end? that would presumably lock them on as the previous target for any further macros?

Armawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #131
Kinvore

Loremaster

Rothgar did you edit the proposed macro changes?  If I'm reading this right, will it still allow us to use macros, but will just make our computers do the "work" instead of the servers?  If so then it sounds like a good idea to me, and I look forward to trying it on test.  Any word on when it's gonna be there?

Kinvore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #132
StaticLex

Loremaster

shaunfletcher wrote:

StaticLex wrote:

Could you add a cast of something instant and trivial on the target at the end? that would presumably lock them on as the previous target for any further macros?

That should work in theory but I can't think of a good spell to use for it.  Also, I don't really like the idea of tieing up my ability to heal even longer than it already is.  And I REALLY don't want to have to manually add the tank's name to all 6 macros everytime I join a group.

Still waiting for a response though, is this a bug or intended?

When you've played this game for ten years and gone to bat seven-thousand times and gotten two-thousand hits do you know what that really means? It means you've gone zero for five-thousand. --- Reggie Jackson
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #133
Gungo

Loremaster

BubbaCajunOG wrote:

Gungo wrote:

BubbaCajunOG wrote:

Gungo wrote:

BubbaCajunOG wrote:

What do these changes mean to macros that, have either A) Equip offhand-->Usespell. B) Equip armor, equip armor, equip armor,--->Use spell--->2nd Macro Equip armor, Equip armor, Equip armor. (There used to be several buff armor peices that would increase the duration and proc % of cob, without being stuck with these peices for the duration of the whole fight, one macro to equip instantly before cob and one to equip your wanted armor during the fight with another macro as cob was casting.) C) Use spell----> Equip offhand/Shield. (Ive noticed that if i switch out any of my offhands or ranged while in combat my casting spell will stop casting...Why?)

gear exploit. People were casting spells w items that buffed the spell and unequiping the item before cast finished and keeping the buffed effect.

LOL @ calling this gear exploiting.

On a seperate issue.  Why does my spell being cast stop if i switch ranged/mainhand/offhand while in pvp/pve combat?  I understand the 4 second time limit on switching weapons in combat but why does switching your weapons (or drums) cancel a spell already in mid cast?  This has destroyed several macros for fear, knockbacks, roots, snares, and melle ca's.  As a dirge our drum gives many beneficial effects to some of these spells as well the necessity to switch from duel wield to roundshield while in pvp combat.

again you obviously dont understand whats going on it is a gear exploit.

On the weapon side bards would equip the weapon from shard of hate that added 5% reuse to their dps/haste songs and unequip the weapon before the buff finished casting so they could permanently keep the 5% reuse no matter what weapon they equipped. It is a gear exploit to take a macro and abuse a mechanic that gives you benefits when you are obviously not intended to have these effects unless you use these items. 

You sir are mistaken.  The item in question is marrowsong.  Not only did that NOT WORK but if you switched marrowsong out for another weapon it would REMOVE your dps buff as well as your speed buff.  Not only was it not occuring as a problem at all but the solution had HUGE effects on game play ability of all bard classes.  You changed game mechanics for a 5% reuse buff? Really?  And for a weapon whos drop rate is 1% in a RAID ZONE.  ON a class who's worthwhileness is only in their utility to others?  To fix a "problem" that had ALREADY been fixed?  For a weapon whos desirability only existed in its pvp potential of 20% incombat run speed?  Developers are [Removed for Content].

You are wrong. Not only did it work, but I personally tested it on my dirge. I dont need to spell out the exploit for you because you obviously dont have a clue. And this single fix fixed alot more then 5% reuse. It fixed ALOT of 6 set peice exploits, which utilized the SAME exact bug. Yes I was able to get my bruiser the 6 set buff while wearing 5 pieces. Furthermore This FIX also fixed an old bug with concentration slot items such as wicked wnd of malice, the Hp neck from Hate, and the ill will. Although that bug has returned in a new much easier exploit. 

At one time this SINGLE fix removed many buffs we should not have been using. You obviously do not understand how these exploits worked or you are just trolling. Either or its obvious you have no clue.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #134
TniEradani

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

Skywarrior wrote:

As wrong as I think this is for adventuring abilities it had better not break the basic harvesting macro.  One button harvesting has been the norm for years and the crafters and "professional" harvesters will climb all over you guys if you break it. 

After speaking with Domino, we can't think of any reason why we ever forced you to have multiple harvest abilities in the first place.  Especially considering that double-clicking the object chooses the proper harvest ability anyway.

So if there's not already a "use" command to activate your current target, I have no problem looking into consolidating all of the harvest abilities into a single command.

Forgive me if you re-addressed this since you stated this, but if you have one Harvest Ability, all your abilities will level up at the same time. As it is now, most people have gathering and mining, but they don't always bother with foresting and trapping, and mostly nobody levels up fishing. If they don't put in this effort, why should they be able to forest T9 when they never have before?

Also, do I remember seeing something about collecting ability? I was reminded today that collecting has a much shorter range than the harvesting abilities and also it has no level, so you can collect anything, anywhere, anytime.

I wonder what's wrong with walking up to a node and clicking on it to harvest.

TniEradani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #135
Dethdlr
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: Advent of Valor

Fansite Staff

Eradani@Nagafen wrote:

Rothgar wrote:

Skywarrior wrote:

As wrong as I think this is for adventuring abilities it had better not break the basic harvesting macro.  One button harvesting has been the norm for years and the crafters and "professional" harvesters will climb all over you guys if you break it. 

After speaking with Domino, we can't think of any reason why we ever forced you to have multiple harvest abilities in the first place.  Especially considering that double-clicking the object chooses the proper harvest ability anyway.

So if there's not already a "use" command to activate your current target, I have no problem looking into consolidating all of the harvest abilities into a single command.

Forgive me if you re-addressed this since you stated this, but if you have one Harvest Ability, all your abilities will level up at the same time. As it is now, most people have gathering and mining, but they don't always bother with foresting and trapping, and mostly nobody levels up fishing. If they don't put in this effort, why should they be able to forest T9 when they never have before?

Also, do I remember seeing something about collecting ability? I was reminded today that collecting has a much shorter range than the harvesting abilities and also it has no level, so you can collect anything, anywhere, anytime.

I wonder what's wrong with walking up to a node and clicking on it to harvest.

Allow me to translate as I can see how this could be confusing.  Ability = the mechanism by which one does something, in this case: Harvest.  The Ability checks your Skill Level to see if you can actually perform the action.  Right now there is one harvesting Ability for each harvesting Skill. 

Lets take Transmuting for example (not that it relates to harvesting but it makes it easy to see the distinction between Ability and Skill).  You have the Transmute Ability that you can click on that turns your cursor blue.  You click on an item to transmute and it checks the level of the item and your transmuting Skill to see if you can do it or not.

What he's talking about doing is combining the /mine /gather /whateverElse Ability into a single Ability of /use (or something like that).  Once you do the /use it would then work like clicking it does now: See what the item is (ore node), see what skill should be checked (mining), check the skill, return the result.

Hope that helps.

EQ2U Lead Programmer |Dethdlr's Adornment Calculator | EQ2Wire.com Columnist

Dethdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #136
StaticLex

Loremaster

Just because one button would harvest everything doesn't mean you couldn't still have seperate skills for each node type.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #137
TniEradani

Loremaster

ok i get it. also, talking to a friend (coping with severe carpal tunnel) last night, i was convinced of pure typing to move to node and harvest it.

the only "harvesting" Abilities i think are different from the rest is Fishing where the range is larger and Collecting where the range is smaller.

(ps: badgers don't mind if you try and harvest them, but lions do.

-- remembrances of my first lvl 9 harvesting in TS.)

TniEradani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #138
Tago

Lord

Why not have the client do an immunity and available check before it sends it to the server? Of course leave the server checks intact, but I bet that'd reduce a lot of lag to the server from these spam macros.

Tago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #139
Davngr1

Loremaster

just do away with multiple spell macros all together.  bards who use a macro for jcap/gravitas are being inefficient anyhow.  %rt is your friend for these situations and there realy is no other valid reason to have these "super macros". 

if you can work it in so we can still have 20+ equipment macros then cool if not who cares scrap that too.    lag sucks but spell lag that begins the SECOND ( no lag prior ) a mob is pulled is the absolute most annoying thing on the face of this earth..

Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #140
powerspike

Loremaster

You could reduce the amount of work the server does by doing a few more things on the client side, it could potently improve the server lag issues, but also allow more function-ability in the macro system itself. It would be more handled by the client then the server. What i would propose is allowing the macro's to be more like a human using the system, then automation. To define this a little further, if you had 3 skills in a macro, the macro would check to see if the first skill is avable to be used client side (like on cooldown etc), if it is, it sends the command to the server, it'd then check the second skill to see if that is on cool down, if not, it would queue the skill. Then the macro would wait until the "queue" is empty (ie the second skill starts casting), and then it'd do the same for the 3rd skill. I think this would allow more features to be put into macro's and also reduce server side lag from them. If the client treats macro's as button press's or typed commands like it would from the player itself, it'd reduce the amount of spam the server would receive. I believe this would also fix a few of the "exploits" on the bg's etc as it'd only send the command when the server "allows" the next action, or put one in the queue when the queue has been emptied. You wouldn't be able to trigger spells and swap out an Armour set in 0.2 seconds this way - as it'd have to wait for the spell to finish first. This would also reduce server spam by a massive amount, instead of sending 20+ spells etc to the server at once to be checked, it would send a maximum of two (the current casting, and next to be casted), also because the macro would still be "running" then wouldn't be pushing it 30 times a second - as it'd stop the macro (would assuming pushing a running macro would stop it). I don't see an issue with allowing a few skills in a macro, i have a wizard, which has to abilities that enhance the next spell cast, been able to put in a macro the two booster spells and the main spell is going to save a lot of rsi for a lot of people =)
powerspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #141
Solarax

Loremaster

Rothgar wrote:

If you are currently casting or no spells in the macro are available for casting, the last ability will still be queued.  This mimics the existing behavior and still allows queuing to work.

These changes should achieve our goal without significantly impacting the way you currently use macros.

this here is the problem.

It seems that it would be better to completely rework the system and have us learn a whole new system as long as  the system works instead of patching a leaky boat.

i know its easy t say and there would be an uproar of complaints but i think part of EQ2s biggest problem is patchwork vs renovation and how we go about small incrimental changes because we are afraid of the lynching.

if a whole and complete system that is better comes along it wont take long for it to catch on.

Solarax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #142
Paci

Defender

My 2 cents

Casting JCap in the way described here is a bad practice. Normally troub is asked for it using /tell and then casts JCap using /useabilityonrt command. Spamming all available targets is a bad idea both as a playstyle and as a cause of server lag.

Beeng a wizard I just hate those troubs that cast JCap on me just when all my long-reuse spells are on timer.

So imho there is no need to bother in this case.

One more thingie that could be implemented is a "disabled" checkbox on every macro step. This could prevent unnecessary commands to be used when some universal macro's are executed. For example in a common spam-and-fire macro or shout-a-curse macro players often use /tell commands to healers or other raid members. These macros oftenly hit unnecessary targets or players being offline. But people don't want to bother editing them each time their group changes so spam occurs. This feature greatly simplifies adopting macros comparing to adding|removing complete lines in a macro.

Also being able to cast several instant spells is pretty good but this is oftenly disrupted by previous spell being cast so all instant spells are ignored. It would be absolutely great to implement a possible "wait until spellcast finishes" feature at the beginning of a macro. Not as a command but as a one-time feature at the beginning to prevent automated gameplay.

I should mention that relying on client-side readiness of spells information will dramatically hit raid performance during laggy times. As it was described earlier when server is on high load client information is updated with latency preventing spell casting of queued spells as reuse timers are artificially increased for the value of lag. I understand that this effects only spells that are queued using macros but the problem is there.

Paci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #143
Silzin
Server: Crushbone
Guild: Revelations

Loremaster

Any idea when these changes will be going in, if at all?
Old 05-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #144
Gungo

Loremaster

Yes these changes are sorely needed since there are ALOT of people pushing out these macros.

It may have been a placebo effect but for the short time this change went live originally there was a VAST improvement to spell latency.

PLEASE bring this change into the game.

Gungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:33 AM   #145
Socar

Loremaster

50% of the time /autoattack 2 doesn't work for me anymore.

This is really anoying since I have to hit that macro again to make it work.

WIll there be some tweaking still to the changes or is this final ?

Socar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #146
circusgirl

Loremaster

Command lag is still awful, they really need to bring these macro changes back.  It was glorious for the one night we had them.

circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #147
Prestissimo
Server: Butcherblock
Guild: The Evolution

Loremaster

My solution would be to simply use ONLY the first 2 commands in a macro unless a fail condition is returned to the server. There really isn't any reason to have a macro more than 5 commands long, so why not just additionally put a cap on the number of commands in a macro? Gear swapping macros would be the only exception to a macro that legitimately could need to be more than 5 commands long, but they don't get used durring battle, so pushing 2-4 macro keys to switch a full set of gear should not be an issue unless someone is being lazy.

Most people use macros to match together 2 commands, and anything beyond the second command is either because of an initial instant cast ability, OR incase one of the commands can't be used. Rather than trying to force it to only use the ends of the command, put an if/then/else/go to check into the macro queing system that basically reads:

macro:

- step1:         -if command #1 = cast time value = (instant {I will assume instant is 0}), store step3execute value as (true).         -use command #1         -if command #1 return value = failure condition, store step3execute value as (true).         -if command #1 =/= (a "use ability" step), store step3execute value as (true).         -go to step2

- step2:         -if command #2 has cast time value of (0), store step4execute value as (true).         -que command #2          -if command #2 return value = failure condition, store step4execute value as (true).          -if command #2 =/= (a "use ability" step), store step4execute value as (true).         -go to step3

- step3:         -If step3execute value = (false), go to endmacro.         -if command #3 has cast time value of (0), store step5execute value as (true).         -que command #3         -if command #3 return value = failure condition, store step5execute value as (true).          -if command #3 =/= (a "use ability" step), store step5execute value as (true).         -go to step4

- step4:          -If step4execute value = (false), go to endmacro.          -que command #4          -if command #4 return value = failure condition, store step5execute value as (true).         -if command #4 =/= (a "use ability" step), store step5execute value as (true).          -go to step5

- step5:          -If step5execute value = (false), go to endmacro.          -que command #5         -go to endmacro

endmacro = well... end the macro.

The whole problem I assume is that people are sticking WAY to many spells and such into one macro so they can keep jamming that one button to do their casting order. This type of macro system would effectively cut off the macro from continuing trying to execute steps beyond the successful commands of spell abilities but not restrict those of us that are using them to equip gear that we commonly switch out, or prevent those of us that use macros to say something in the chat. Sure, the server will still need to initialize and read all of that info, but it would still cut back on the amount of executions and work each macro would create for the system. You're likely not going to be able to create a much more efficient system then one that limits the specific function in macros that people are abusing, and if it were me personally, I'd approach it in the above manner since it puts the logic checks at the start of the command to be issued and if the latter steps are not needed it wouldn't bother trying to perform the commands within the step which should cut down on the workload. If this proposition wouldn't work, then it would mean the system isn't trying to just chain execute every single macro indescriminantly of what the command is and in the order presented in which case there wouldn't be an issue with so many commands slowing the system down. Your problem is it's not restricting spell casting spam when it should be, and your proposal is to punish everyone that has multi-step macros in an attempt to foil those that are using it to do their casting order. My proposition would not stop anyone from using macros to do their casting order; it would simply cut down on the attempts to do anything past the desired number of successful commands.

If you wanted to stop people from using mass macro steps to do their casting, just put a limit of no more than 2 "use ability" commands with >0 casting time per macro, but then you'd upset those of us using macros to do things like gravitas and jcap. For this reason, having it do a logic check for success or failure and only going so long as it keeps succeeding will stop the macro once it has done it's intended role, AND it will make programming macros on the user's side much more straightforeward in that you put the most desired command first, the next most second, etc down the list, and it will stop when it's successfully executed x number of commands. The only issue would be then getting the success or fail condition to return before the cast occurs. Perhaps create a line where it runs the fail checks and if successful, THEN issue a que command for that step:

insert before the "use/que command" line: [if command = use ability, run fail check for command #1's ability, if result = true, store step3execute value as true; then go to step2] or something like that.

I wrote this while doing quests in Halas, so forgive the sloppyness and if there are flaws, but any programmer worth their beans should understand where thats going.

As for spells like gravitas or jcap, a different potential that could be looked into is to simply add one toggleable in-game "programable" button to the group AND raid windows next to each name that lets you tack a single spell to it. I know that you could change one of the buttons that comes with the custom UIs, but simply adding a little square with toggleable visibility that sits to the left of each group member/raid members name would let people tack those spells that require direct targetting of the recipient into something much more useable and player friendly and would probably increase the player satisfaction with some of the default UI windows (IE healers set it to be "cure", bards set it to be gravitas/jcap, summoners set it to be heart or cookie, wizard/warlock set it to be power trickle, fighters set it to be interceed, etc. Every class has at least 1 ability like that which could be more useful with such a button.)

Prestissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #148
Anastasie

Loremaster

StaticLex wrote:

I haven't tried it - but can you integrate the  the /useabilityon with the group member # so you never have to actually change your target - this would be the ideal solution.  Something to the effect of: /useabilityon group__member_0 Cure. If you can't currently do this, perhaps a nice dev would be willing to fix it so they can be used together. 

Anastasie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #149
Barx
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Mayhem

Loremaster

Annelise@Guk wrote:

StaticLex wrote:

I haven't tried it - but can you integrate the  the /useabilityon with the group member # so you never have to actually change your target - this would be the ideal solution.  Something to the effect of: /useabilityon group__member_0 Cure. If you can't currently do this, perhaps a nice dev would be willing to fix it so they can be used together. 

Yes, you can use a target for usabilityonplayer in the form of group members (g1, g2, etc.) or raid members (r1... r24). That was added after they corrected target_previous so that it actually goes to your previous target. Before the change if you re-targeted the same thing it wouldn't change your target, which was good for click-to-cast type macros but wasn't the intended functionality of the command. When they fixed that they added the new params so that folks could still do click-to-casts.

Barx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #150
Iren
Server: Antonia Bayle
Guild: Celestial Knights

Loremaster

nvm